• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL thread - Part deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been seeing a lot of Bobby Mac on tv lately interviewing various Canadian GM's - Is it just me or has Bobby Mac had some work done during the summer (maybe laser eye surgery and possibly a face lift?). He looks noticeably younger to me.

I guess the gameplan to keep hockey "news" show viewers from going to SN was to sexy up the on air personalities :noidea:

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess the gameplan to keep hockey "news" show viewers from going to SN was to sexy up the on air personalities :noidea:

lol - Well, I'm sure he made the ladies swoon while playing with his conch (I said pardon) on the "Puck Over Glass" video.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[ame="[MEDIA=twitter]512342133660205057[/MEDIA]"][/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jason Botchford ‏@botchford 7m
More often than not, 17 got the benefit of the doubt from the media, who excused poor play and rarely "blamed" him for the disappointments

Jason Botchford ‏@botchford 6m
Instead MT @choderama Nice guys and harder workers like the Sedins and Luongo took the heat. #smh

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why you heff to give me PTO, I play well last season.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 years have passed since those Kane and Toews deals. $6.3 mil in 2010 is probably worth $8-9 mil these days, no?

In four years, inflation has risen 30%?

And he has 99 points in his first three years (total). Toews had 272, more than 2.5x his number. Even if salaries have gone up 30%, how much do we deduct for scoring at a rate 2.5 times lower than the comparable? Or are points worth 30% more now too?

Per the US department of labor's inflation calculator; 6.3m in 2010 is worth 6.8m today in even money FWIW. Johansen is not now on even par with where Kane and Toews were back then.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5JHfnsi.png

Johansen's wikipedia page has been updated.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vinnie 'Dr. Zeus' Viola addresses Panthers fans.

An Open Letter To Their Fans...

As we close in on the one-year anniversary of our ownership of the Florida Panthers, we want to reiterate our commitment to Broward County, South Florida and our Panthers fans and business partners. As we said at the press conference when we bought the team, we view ourselves as stewards of the team for the community and our plan is to build an organization that makes South Florida proud and to win the Stanley Cup in South Florida. Despite media speculation to the contrary, we have no plans or intentions to move this franchise.

We made a commitment to the Panthers and to South Florida when we bought the team to build a successful organization on and off the ice. We have been working hard to live up to that commitment. Starting with the trade to bring Roberto Luongo, one of the world’s top goaltenders, back home to South Florida, and continuing with our committing over $80 million to new players, including bringing six talented veteran free agents to South Florida and resigning all of our restricted free agents, we have dedicated ourselves to improving the team. Off the ice, we continue to expand our community outreach initiatives and look forward to continue to contribute to the quality of life for residents.

It is no secret that the Panthers and BB&T Center have lost tremendous amounts of money over the last dozen years. We are working hard to address this situation, which we believe we can do with the support from our loyal fans, our business partners, the business community and our community-at-large.

We look forward to a winning season and bringing a Stanley Cup to South Florida.

With Warm Regards,

Vinnie Viola and Doug Cifu, Co-Owners

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sharks re-sign Justin Braun to a 5 year extension, 3.8 per. I like that contract, he has been playing well and towards the end of that deal I think it will be an absolute steal.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In four years, inflation has risen 30%?

And he has 99 points in his first three years (total). Toews had 272, more than 2.5x his number. Even if salaries have gone up 30%, how much do we deduct for scoring at a rate 2.5 times lower than the comparable? Or are points worth 30% more now too?

Per the US department of labor's inflation calculator; 6.3m in 2010 is worth 6.8m today in even money FWIW. Johansen is not now on even par with where Kane and Toews were back then.

Not to speak on BBB's behalf, but the NHL's version of inflation =/= the US's version. Still, your point remains the same.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to speak on BBB's behalf, but the NHL's version of inflation =/= the US's version. Still, your point remains the same.

I was having a hard time finding the word I wanted, and inflation was the best I could come up with.

Besides, BBB seems to like to argue minute points that are not completely unrelated to the core discussion, so I threw him a bone or two.

Like it's more like 27.5% and not exactly 30%.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was having a hard time finding the word I wanted, and inflation was the best I could come up with.

Besides, BBB seems to like to argue minute points that are not completely unrelated to the core discussion, so I threw him a bone or two.

Like it's more like 27.5% and not exactly 30%.

National inflation has nothing to do with the matter at hand, especially considering that the bulk of NHL revenues are procured from two very different economies. Salary cap has gone up 15% since 2010-11. 115% of $6.3 million would be $7.25 million. With the new TV revenue, that representation will likely be pushing $8 million in a year or two.

Ryan Johansen hasn't won a Stanley Cup and that obviously separates him from the Toews and Kane deals of 2010, but he also hasn't played in front of Norris candidate defencemen or alongside established NHL stars like Patrick Sharp or Marian Hossa. He isn't coached by Joel Quenneville and, not to be a dick but he isn't living in Chicago. And he still looks like he might be as good as Toews.

But more than anything, he isn't showing any more greed than the management of the team with the second-lowest payroll in the National Hockey League is. This public airing of negotiations by management will only serve to piss the player off and give him something to remember when he comes closer to being a UFA.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vinnie 'Dr. Zeus' Viola addresses Panthers fans.

An Open Letter To Their Fans...

As we close in on the one-year anniversary of our ownership of the Florida Panthers, we want to reiterate our commitment to Broward County, South Florida and our Panthers fans and business partners. As we said at the press conference when we bought the team, we view ourselves as stewards of the team for the community and our plan is to build an organization that makes South Florida proud and to win the Stanley Cup in South Florida. Despite media speculation to the contrary, we have no plans or intentions to move this franchise.

We made a commitment to the Panthers and to South Florida when we bought the team to build a successful organization on and off the ice. We have been working hard to live up to that commitment. Starting with the trade to bring Roberto Luongo, one of the world’s top goaltenders, back home to South Florida, and continuing with our committing over $80 million to new players, including bringing six talented veteran free agents to South Florida and resigning all of our restricted free agents, we have dedicated ourselves to improving the team. Off the ice, we continue to expand our community outreach initiatives and look forward to continue to contribute to the quality of life for residents.

It is no secret that the Panthers and BB&T Center have lost tremendous amounts of money over the last dozen years. We are working hard to address this situation, which we believe we can do with the support from our loyal fans, our business partners, the business community and our community-at-large.

We look forward to a winning season and bringing a Stanley Cup to South Florida.

With Warm Regards,

Vinnie Viola and Doug Cifu, Co-Owners

Translation: We're going to ask you for a few dump trucks of money soon. Please accept this request accordingly and with haste.

Status
Not open for further replies.