• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL thread - Part deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@reporterchris·11 mins
John Davidson tells reporters that the #CBJ offered Ryan Johansen $3M AAV over 2 years, $5.33M AAV over 6 years and $5.75M over 8 years.

Man, no holding back from Davidson. I know the organization has most of the cards here...but still have to be careful playing hardball in the public eye.

I friggin love JD. I would prefer the situation be out of the public eye and all, but the agent is pushing buttons and JD is calling him on his bullshit. Those three numbers leave the agent and the player NOTHING to bitch about. And now, everyone knows. I don't think JD is negotiating in the media as much as he is swaying opinion of how ridiculous the negotiations are. How unreasonable Overhardt is appearing. 5 @ 5.33? WHAT IDIOT DOESN'T SIGN THAT? After ONE good season on an ELC?

Here are your four choices:
1) Take a Bridge and we have to do this dance all over in two years, during which time you will have every opportunity to prove you deserve the Toews/Stamkos money you want.
2) Take a deal that makes you UFA at the end but for what we want to pay you. Still a 500% raise though.
3) Commit to the team and city and leave money on the table to improve the quality of players around you.
4) Hold out and we still own your rights for five more years in which you have the potential to make no money.

All on you, boy. We'll be over here preparing for a hockey season while you think about it.

Remember, these numbers are likely what were classified as a "slap in the face".

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I friggin love JD. I would prefer the situation be out of the public eye and all, but the agent is pushing buttons and JD is calling him on his bullshit. Those three numbers leave the agent and the player NOTHING to bitch about. And now, everyone knows. I don't think JD is negotiating in the media as much as he is swaying opinion of how ridiculous the negotiations are. How unreasonable Overhardt is appearing. 5 @ 5.33? WHAT IDIOT DOESN'T SIGN THAT? After ONE good season on an ELC?

Gabriel Landeskog.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really glad the Devils were able to lock up Gelinas and avoid this type of situation (again, not on the same scale).

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Here are your four choices:
1) Take a Bridge and we have to do this dance all over in two years, during which time you will have every opportunity to prove you deserve the Toews/Stamkos money you want.
2) Take a deal that makes you UFA at the end but for what we want to pay you. Still a 500% raise though.
3) Commit to the team and city and leave money on the table to improve the quality of players around you.
4) Hold out and we still own your rights for five more years in which you have the potential to make no money.

All on you, boy. We'll be over here preparing for a hockey season while you think about it.

Remember, these numbers are likely what were classified as a "slap in the face".

The problem with this move by JD is that he's essentially trying to turn fans against his best player. I know the agent is at fault for a lot of this but most fans won't make that distinction.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with this move by JD is that he's essentially trying to turn fans against his best player. I know the agent is at fault for a lot of this but most fans won't make that distinction.

RyJo still holds the trump card, though - I mean, unless I'm missing something, he instructs Blowhard Overhardt to either take the offer or turn it down (after Overhardt presents the offer and his opinion of it). And if he thinks his agent is acting in bad faith, he can certainly can his ass.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RyJo still holds the trump card, though - I mean, unless I'm missing something, he instructs Blowhard Overhardt to either take the offer or turn it down (after Overhardt presents the offer and his opinion of it). And if he thinks his agent is acting in bad faith, he can certainly can his ass.

Absolutely. It's hard to sympathize with a healthy 22 year old who is doing his damnedest to not play.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I hope that's not what comes of it, but it probably will.

I think the organization has been saying a lot of good things about Johansen. They've been very careful not to throw him under the bus, only the agent. For every "This is extortion" comment, there's a "We believe in Johansen, we know he's going to be great". To me its drawing enough distinction. The fact that they won't entertain a trade and have announced they would match any offer sheet tells me they have nothing against the kid.

You can argue that with all intangibles considered, maybe they are slightly lowball offers. And the disparity is worse the longer the deal you look at. But They have offered him three distinct options to decide what is best for him, and they have been spit on. But that's where the CBA puts the power, to the teams, like it or not.

PK Subban took a bridge at 2yr/5.5m total. And got paid when he backed it up.

Looking at other guys who took long term deals after ELCs:
Drew Doughty - 8 years, 56 mil (7 mil)
Erik Karlsson - 7 years, 45.5 million (6.5 million)
Travis Hamonic - 7 years, 27 million (3.8 mil) - a Garth Snow special.
Landeskog - 7 yrs at 5.75 per.

Where does Johansen fit there? Karlsson had hardware and Dough Boy had a cup. Landeskog was the Captain. 5.75 for 8 is reasonable. And if he doesn't want to give up prime UFA years, 5.33 is not chump change for 5.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats Hayley!!

Last edited by a moderator:

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flames didn't help much with the Engelland contract either :L

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marc Methot negotiations with Senators turn nasty | Ottawa Citizen

Columbus isn't the only place where the claws are out.

I think we can all agree on one thing: Fuck the Capitals for that Orpik Contract.

While that doesn't sound too good I think "nasty" might be a bit of a stretch.

If you compare Methot to Orpik at this stage of their careers, Methot is AT LEAST as good a player, IMO. You can't really blame his agent for asking for that number, batchit crazy as it may be.

Big, mobile, defensive defensemen who can play in the top 4 get paid in the $4-5+ MIL range nowadays. It's crazy but it is what it is.

For what it's worth I think Ottawa is hesitating to sign Methot until they see if Cowen, Wiercioch and company develop early in the season, making Methot "expendable". Not the strategy I'd take but I've got a feeling that's what's going on. If you ask me Methot is an important part of the D.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank God we got outbid on that one....of course it didn't help that TO has misused their home town boy but his contract was nuts anyway

Clarkson falls to the floor more than a hooker's dress. Unless he was signed to be a human Zamboni, his problems are all his own doing.

DevilishWon

Don't ever play Lady of Spain again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clarkson falls to the floor more than a hooker's dress. Unless he was signed to be a human Zamboni, his problems are all his own doing.

You're right, he scored 30 goals in 2011-2012, 15 in half season 2012-2013 and 5 with TO in 2013-2014. He was a shitty skater in NJ and a shitty skater in TO but his sudden drop off is due solely to his poor skating ability.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right, he scored 30 goals in 2011-2012, 15 in half season 2012-2013 and 5 with TO in 2013-2014. He was a shitty skater in NJ and a shitty skater in TO but his sudden drop off is due solely to his poor skating ability.

There's poor skating, then there's falling every second stride.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One big issue with Kesler was the perception that he wasn’t the ideal guy to be around when the Canucks went south last season. The reported trade demand that came out of the Sochi Olympics didn’t help.

Can he be moody during a losing streak? Sure. Is he a bad teammate? Hardly, he insists.

“I don’t buy that I’m not a good teammate,” he said. “You can ask any of my teammates. I know when I was traded, if I was such a bad teammate, 95 percent of the guys wouldn’t have texted me (afterward).

“That’s the problem with Vancouver. The media makes up a lot of stories that aren’t true. To be honest, I was really sick of certain media guys throwing people under the bus.

“No matter how much my old teammates say it doesn’t bother them, it affects them. It does in that city.”

Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories and throwing people under the bus

Status
Not open for further replies.