• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL thread - Part deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ryan Johansen impasse threatens goodwill with Columbus Blue Jackets - ESPN

Two sources with knowledge of the situation told ESPN.com on Tuesday there’s been next to no dialogue for a while as both sides remain more than $3 million apart per season on a proposed two-year contract.

I get he's young and who knows what can happen in the future, but after Subban doesn't the whole bridge contract idea for young stars go right out the window? It's not like we're talking about Nazem Kadri here; does anybody doubt this guy can be good value on a 6-8 year deal worth around $7 million a season?

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get he's young and who knows what can happen in the future, but after Subban doesn't the whole bridge contract idea for young stars go right out the window? It's not like we're talking about Nazem Kadri here; does anybody doubt this guy can be good value on a 6-8 year deal worth around $7 million a season?

Actually Subban is a prime example of why the bridge contract is completely valid. Before he got his massive deal this year, he got a 2 year bridge at 5.75 total. And on that Bridge he won a Norris. And then he got paid.

Johansen needs to tread lightly. He is still one year removed from being sent to the AHL and subsequently getting benched - in the AHL - in the playoffs. There is no questioning his talent, but there is questioning his motivation. He wanted a 7-8 year deal at around 6m. Jackets said 2 years. So ho agreed to 2 years but now wants 8.5m per.

No way. That's not how a Bridge works. He made 810k last year.

And remember, there has been no offer sheet. Not even a sniff of it. The league has the same questions. And the question is not whether he's gonna be good for a long time. It's whether he can stay focused for a short time.

If the Blue Jackets have resorted to getting it out to the media that he's "ruining goodwill", then it's almost over. Either he signs soon on a reasonable deal or he gets traded to Edmonton or Winnipeg.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually Subban is a prime example of why the bridge contract is completely valid. Before he got his massive deal this year, he got a 2 year bridge at 5.75 total. And on that Bridge he won a Norris. And then he got paid.

Johansen needs to tread lightly. He is still one year removed from being sent to the AHL and subsequently getting benched - in the AHL - in the playoffs. There is no questioning his talent, but there is questioning his motivation. He wanted a 7-8 year deal at around 6m. Jackets said 2 years. So ho agreed to 2 years but now wants 8.5m per.

No way. That's not how a Bridge works. He made 810k last year.

And remember, there has been no offer sheet. Not even a sniff of it. The league has the same questions. And the question is not whether he's gonna be good for a long time. It's whether he can stay focused for a short time.

If the Blue Jackets have resorted to getting it out to the media that he's "ruining goodwill", then it's almost over. Either he signs soon on a reasonable deal or he gets traded to Edmonton or Winnipeg.

My point was that it would be far more beneficial for 'Lumbus to get him signed long term at 6 or 7 mil, and frankly I don't know why they wouldn't think that too. The Habs got absolutely burned by Subban's bridge deal, giving a guy the highest salary for a defenceman when he isn't the best defenceman in the game. What happens to Columbus when they gotta pay Bobrov? Murray? How you going to build a contender by bringing in better guys who make more (via trade or FA) when Johansen is so pissed that in 2 years he's demanding the same amount Stamkos is?

Be smart, sign him long term now. Even if the odds of him regressing and having peaked last season were 50-50 (they aren't), it would still be the smart move.

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point was that it would be far more beneficial for 'Lumbus to get him signed long term at 6 or 7 mil, and frankly I don't know why they wouldn't think that too. The Habs got absolutely burned by Subban's bridge deal, giving a guy the highest salary for a defenceman when he isn't the best defenceman in the game. What happens to Columbus when they gotta pay Bobrov? Murray? How you going to build a contender by bringing in better guys who make more (via trade or FA) when Johansen is so pissed that in 2 years he's demanding the same amount Stamkos is?

Be smart, sign him long term now. Even if the odds of him regressing and having peaked last season were 50-50 (they aren't), it would still be the smart move.

There's gotta be something that has the Jackets spooked is all I can guess. Bob is gonna get paid big time and Ryan Murray and Boone Jenner are also in line for decent paydays. The Jackets are not in cap trouble (yet), so I don't think they are balking at the money.

It's gotta come down to him proving that he is committed to the team. He has to have done something to make the team doubt him (and there are several times they have had run-ins with him). Looking at the deals this team has given guys like Nash, Umberger and Dubinski, they aren't afraid to dish out for guys who fit the mold (right or wrong). Maybe they just want Johansen to prove something and he hasn't yet.

I just wish they'd get it wrapped up soon. But the Jackets may wait until camp when Wennberg comes in. That could really put the pressure on Johansen. The kid is a stud.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's gotta be something that has the Jackets spooked is all I can guess. Bob is gonna get paid big time and Ryan Murray and Boone Jenner are also in line for decent paydays. The Jackets are not in cap trouble (yet), so I don't think they are balking at the money.

It's gotta come down to him proving that he is committed to the team. He has to have done something to make the team doubt him (and there are several times they have had run-ins with him). Looking at the deals this team has given guys like Nash, Umberger and Dubinski, they aren't afraid to dish out for guys who fit the mold (right or wrong). Maybe they just want Johansen to prove something and he hasn't yet.

I just wish they'd get it wrapped up soon. But the Jackets may wait until camp when Wennberg comes in. That could really put the pressure on Johansen. The kid is a stud.

Waiting til camp/the season starting didn't hurt Subban in his (strike-shortened) Norris year.

Forgot about Jenner, too. I dunno, I pay the guy just because fuck the attitude and other garbage that goes along with plenty a pro athlete, the guy has talent and the team is much better with him than without him. Even if shit hits the fan in 3 years time, and he's awful and that $7 million is burning a hole in your capologist's brain, you can always buyout the last few years. It's a risk I'd take - it's not like we're talking about Stephen Weiss here.

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Waiting til camp/the season starting didn't hurt Subban in his (strike-shortened) Norris year.

Forgot about Jenner, too. I dunno, I pay the guy just because fuck the attitude and other garbage that goes along with plenty a pro athlete, the guy has talent and the team is much better with him than without him. Even if shit hits the fan in 3 years time, and he's awful and that $7 million is burning a hole in your capologist's brain, you can always buyout the last few years. It's a risk I'd take - it's not like we're talking about Stephen Weiss here.

As an organization, Jackets have been burned by some guys with questionable work ethic. They went all in on Mase and he shot himself in the foot. They took on Carter and killed the room. Federov was a failure. They bought into Foote's bullshit. I can see why they are a bit gun shy. I think all it comes down to is they have asked Johansen for something specific and he has yet to show it or has shown he is unwilling to do so. If you toe the line, they will reward you.

Word around town is the Jackets are not going to name a Captain and are just waiting for Jenner to have one more solid season. He'll get a 5 year/C on the jersey combo contract before years' out, I'd bet. He'll run this team for a long time, barring injury.

Everyone loves him. He exemplifies the attitude and effort JD and Jarmo want. And I guess they want Johansen to show some of the same. But I agree to a point. He's not likely to fizzle out like so many one hit wonders. But I think overall the mgmt team is thinking of the whole room and won't give in now if they wanted to.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As an organization, Jackets have been burned by some guys with questionable work ethic. They went all in on Mase and he shot himself in the foot. They took on Carter and killed the room. Federov was a failure. They bought into Foote's bullshit. I can see why they are a bit gun shy. I think all it comes down to is they have asked Johansen for something specific and he has yet to show it or has shown he is unwilling to do so. If you toe the line, they will reward you.

Word around town is the Jackets are not going to name a Captain and are just waiting for Jenner to have one more solid season. He'll get a 5 year/C on the jersey combo contract before years' out, I'd bet. He'll run this team for a long time, barring injury.

Everyone loves him. He exemplifies the attitude and effort JD and Jarmo want. And I guess they want Johansen to show some of the same. But I agree to a point. He's not likely to fizzle out like so many one hit wonders. But I think overall the mgmt team is thinking of the whole room and won't give in now if they wanted to.

All of those guys save Mason were all brought in from the outside, though. Jojo has showed what he's capable of on the BJ's already.

Can you tell i'm a fan? :yahoo:

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of those guys save Mason were all brought in from the outside, though. Jojo has showed what he's capable of on the BJ's already.

Can you tell i'm a fan? :yahoo:

So am I, but if I am being asked to choose between him and the team - which could very well be what is happening, I choose the team.

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, just been reading up a bit. He agrees to two years and wants 7m. The Jackets have offered two at 4m. Both numbers are silly. He's not exactly Toews level yet, but he's also not Martin Erat.

This is stupid. Pay him 5.5-5.75. I thought he was looking for close to 8-9m. Because I had heard the Jackets were totally comfortable with 5.5 or so.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, just been reading up a bit. He agrees to two years and wants 7m. The Jackets have offered two at 4m. Both numbers are silly. He's not exactly Toews level yet, but he's also not Martin Erat.

This is stupid. Pay him 5.5-5.75. I thought he was looking for close to 8-9m. Because I had heard the Jackets were totally comfortable with 5.5 or so.

Everyone thinks that Johansen is the real deal but I'm with the Jackets on this one. He's had one season where he was even a top 6 forward (based on performance). He now wants first line money.

He should just sign for $5 M/year for 2 years and get to work. If he is truly a consistent first liner he'll get paid handsomely. I say he has more to lose by holding out, missing camp and risking injury when he finally does sign (not up to game speed) than by leaving some cash on the table in his second pro contract.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Panthers have extended a PTO to Shane O'Brien...

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought he would mention how Perry took Kesler and his wife out purse shopping at Fashion Island.

purse shopping? wtf was his wife doing there then?

Status
Not open for further replies.