• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL thread - Part deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This Pens/Wings game is getting intense.

higgyfan4

Bossman you'll be missed
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@TSNAaronWard
Boston Bruins Zdeno Chara has suspected left knee injury. Expected to undergo further tests/evaluation at hospital. #TSN

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol I remember when Luke Schenn jumped between the benches with Pierre once to avoid a too many men penalty

About 6 months or so ago I got hit with a shot in front of the other team's net that cracked my skate blade in half (one of the pieces flew right off) and I hopped on the other team's bench cause it was the 3rd period and it was closer. I think they just thought I was fucking nuts until I explained what had happened.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LMAFO!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe Colborne up to eight assists on the young season.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LMAFO!!!!!!

Yeahhhhh, last night's loss wasn't the prototypical loss to the Flyers in the past few years though. Those all involved an idiotic James Neal penalty. Pens were actually pretty dang disciplined.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe Colborne up to eight assists on the young season.

Shut up, man.

I could seriously pummel the crap out of Nonis and Carlyle right now. Colton fucking Orr and Fraser McLaren were more important to this fucking team than Colborne. That is something that actually happened in Leafland.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UntimelySmartDamselfly.gif

Big mama interferes with his own goalie and Joey loses his hat trick goal because of it. I get that Foligno had been there within the same period. But Niemi isn't even trying to move and Nick was out of the crease and no longer making contact with anyone before the puck is passed to Johansen.

Oh well.

Jackets have two more points after one game than I expected them to get the whole trip.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the word "tanking" is the problem. The team was shit. What were they supposed to do, trade every draft pick they own for the next four years and acquire a team that could compete for tenth place? They're spending to the floor as they are required to do, and playing as they were expected to. If that is considered "tanking", it's still a much better process than "being idiots". I watch a team that took the latter route 3 times a week, and I would have much rather they'd gone the opposite direction.

This is a great summation.

The Sabres tried to build a winner by spending a ton of money. That got them Ville Leino and the worst contract in the league (at least until David Clarkson :yahoo:)

That obviously didn't work, so they took the approach that worked for the Pens and the Hawks. Jury's still out because this strategy could produce Pens/Hawks results or it could produce Oilers results. Or it could produce Lightning results.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice look OV - Next time, don't tuck the jeans into the boots.

0XVxYvx.jpg

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a great summation.

The Sabres tried to build a winner by spending a ton of money. That got them Ville Leino and the worst contract in the league (at least until David Clarkson :yahoo:)

That obviously didn't work, so they took the approach that worked for the Pens and the Hawks. Jury's still out because this strategy could produce Pens/Hawks results or it could produce Oilers results. Or it could produce Lightning results.

It's all about scouting and development (duh sentence, I know). The Oilers are shit because after taking the no-brainers at #1, they drafted terribly. 7 years of drafting and the only guys on the active roster who were taken after the first round are Petry (who is probably not long for Edmonton anyway) and Marincin. That is a god awful return on investment. The Oil haven't botched their rebuild because of the hyped talent they picked early, they botched it because of the non-existent talent they picked later on.

In contrast, how many guys on LA and Chicago's rosters are later picks? Their rosters (and in Chicago's case, guys they've had to get rid of for cap considerations) are littered with them.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's all about scouting and development (duh sentence, I know). The Oilers are shit because after taking the no-brainers at #1, they drafted terribly. 7 years of drafting and the only guys on the active roster who were taken after the first round are Petry (who is probably not long for Edmonton anyway) and Marincin. That is a god awful return on investment. The Oil haven't botched their rebuild because of the hyped talent they picked early, they botched it because of the non-existent talent they picked later on.

In contrast, how many guys on LA and Chicago's rosters are later picks? Their rosters (and in Chicago's case, guys they've had to get rid of for cap considerations) are littered with them.

Look at Detroit. Who on their roster was a first round pick? Their stars were all 3rd or later. Datysuk was a sixth rounder. SIXTH.

You need to hit the first rounders, but true success lies in the rest of the draft.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blackhawks fans were especially mouthy and obnoxious last night. What's up with THAT?! :wtf2:

Status
Not open for further replies.