• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL thread - Part deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lBtNLC8.jpg

Pens debut third jersey tonight (yay!)

Fleury debuts his yellow pads (AVERT YOUR EYES!)

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the arguments on Brodeur, but it's just like Sawchuk. He played his entire career on one of the six best teams in the league. And he still had to show up and make the saves. The trap is completely useless if your goalie doesn't understand and put himself in position to make the save when the shot comes. Plus Brodeur is one of the only players ever to have a rule instituted to specifically nullify part of his game, and a part he did better than anyone ever had. The Wild trapped too. They haven't won cups yet.

Tretiak never faced a ton of quality shots because his team played keep away a lot. But he put himself in exactly the right spot based on what his team in front of him was doing. I put them as 1 and 2 because they were both more than a backstop. They were integral cogs in their teams.

The knock for me on Hasek is how many teams he quit on. In a group of people known for flakiness, he was the flakiest. If he had any kind of heart at all, he could have owned the league and every single record ever. If he battled half as hard as Cujo or Billy Smith, the Sabres could have won four consecutive cups during the time he was winning Vezinas and Harts.

If he was "making the saves" why did he only manage to finish in the Top 10 in SV% 6 times in 20 years? Sure seems like there were a lot of guys "making the saves" more often than he was. Hell, Hasek led the entire league as many times as Marty finished in the top 10.

I think the knock for you on Hasek is more that he doesn't "look" the way that you think a goalie should look when he stops the puck. But he still stopped it a lot more often than anyone else has.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he was "making the saves" why did he only manage to finish in the Top 10 in SV% 6 times in 20 years? Sure seems like there were a lot of guys "making the saves" more often than he was. Hell, Hasek led the entire league as many times as Marty finished in the top 10.

I think the knock for you on Hasek is more that he doesn't "look" the way that you think a goalie should look when he stops the puck. But he still stopped it a lot more often than anyone else has.

Given the choice between "making more saves" and "winning more games", I can't imagine any goalie taking the former.

And I freely admit that one major reason why I do not like Hasek is because I spent a lot of time and effort trying to coach the bad habits out of a generation of goalies that picked them up watching him and thinking that was what a goalie was supposed to do. So I am sure that contributed to me noticing it more when he quit on teams that he was on. Just because I was more likely to see notice it, doesn't mean it wasn't happening.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given the choice between "making more saves" and "winning more games", I can't imagine any goalie taking the former.

And I freely admit that one major reason why I do not like Hasek is because I spent a lot of time and effort trying to coach the bad habits out of a generation of goalies that picked them up watching him and thinking that was what a goalie was supposed to do. So I am sure that contributed to me noticing it more when he quit on teams that he was on. Just because I was more likely to see notice it, doesn't mean it wasn't happening.

That's probably true, but (just like in baseball) wins are a team statistic.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PK is coming to terrorize your neighborhoods...

b8aa24e0-5abb-11e4-b714-778bc4e5ba78_pk-subban-halloween.png

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
received for my birthday

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's probably true, but (just like in baseball) wins are a team statistic.

True, but there is a far larger correlation between goalie stats and wins than pitching stats and wins. Besides lockout/strike years, only one Vezina winner has won fewer than 30 games in a season since the criteria was revamped in 81 (Tom Barrasso).

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
received for my birthday

Happy birthday!

Friend of mine got one a couple years ago, it mostly scares the crap out of us when we're watching (only because by the time the Leafs score the game is usually lost already and we've zoned out/changed the channel/are drunk).

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happy birthday!

Friend of mine got one a couple years ago, it mostly scares the crap out of us when we're watching (only because by the time the Leafs score the game is usually lost already and we've zoned out/changed the channel/are drunk).

thanks it was last week but this just arrived last night

lol I can see it being a bit of a sore already, testing it and getting it ready had my dogs going nuts lol.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's bad enough the Sabres look like they aren't even trying at times. I mean Nolan called them a Pee-Wee team. To be hosting Erie Otters games & be given the Draft Combine as well as the Draft in 2016 tells me the league is okay with them tanking. This looks really bad on the NHL. Bettman just doesn't have a clue.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's bad enough the Sabres look like they aren't even trying at times. I mean Nolan called them a Pee-Wee team. To be hosting Erie Otters games & be given the Draft Combine as well as the Draft in 2016 tells me the league is okay with them tanking. This looks really bad on the NHL. Bettman just doesn't have a clue.

You never give up, do you?

When the Isles suck it's the result of poor ownership/management. But when the Sabres suck, it's got to be because they're tanking.

They suck because they suck. That's it. They had terrible management that handed out terrible contracts on terrible players for years. It takes time to correct that kind of damage.

Regarding the Otters, that's 90 minutes down the highway. They're doing it for the same reason they have Amerks games in Buffalo every year. And the same reasons the Bills played games in Toronto. They're trying to regionalize the franchise a bit more.

They also just hosted the All American Prospects game. And they're getting ready to open a new facility attached to First Niagara Center that has two additional NHL size rinks and a 200+ room hotel. They will be the only team in the league to have a three rink facility.

I'm sure they're only getting these events like the combine and the draft because they're tanking though. :L

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I agree with sabresfaninthesouth, the Sabres aren't tanking, they are just a bad team right now (although Ennis continues to score, I never give up either hee hee). The only real documented case of tanking was way back in 1984 when the Penguins took a dive for Mario Lemieux.

/I'm not saying the Avalanche tanked a couple of years ago, but it was very clear the players had tuned out Joe Sacco and they could have fired him, but they decided to ride out the season and secure the number one pick in the entry draft that turned out to be Nathan MacKinnon.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I agree with sabresfaninthesouth, the Sabres aren't tanking, they are just a bad team right now (although Ennis continues to score, I never give up either hee hee). The only real documented case of tanking was way back in 1984 when the Penguins took a dive for Mario Lemieux.

/I'm not saying the Avalanche tanked a couple of years ago, but it was very clear the players had tuned out Joe Sacco and they could have fired him, but they decided to ride out the season and secure the number one pick in the entry draft that turned out to be Nathan MacKinnon.

what about the Sens for Daigle?

Status
Not open for further replies.