• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

On point analysis or still lingering butthurt....

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only reason Shaq got any MVP votes during his Miami tenure was because of name recognition.

??? How does that work? And if "name recognition" is all it takes to get MVP votes, why didn't Jordan get any in 2002-03?

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
??? How does that work? And if "name recognition" is all it takes to get MVP votes, why didn't Jordan get any in 2002-03?

Then how could you possibly explain a 34-year-old Shaq being more valuable than Dwyane Wade? The league was suffering big time from Jordan withdrawal in the mid-00's...And Mr. $tern would do absolutely anything to rake in cash...Shaq happened to be the league's most recognizable name at the time (outside of maybe LeBron)...See the BS suspension of Jerry Stackhouse for a "hard" foul on Shaq as well as Ron Artest's season-long suspension from the small-market Pacers.

Last edited:
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then how could you possibly explain a 34-year-old Shaq being more valuable than Dwyane Wade? The league was suffering big time from Jordan withdrawl in the mid-00's...And Mr. $tern would do absolutely anything to rake in cash...Shaq happened to be the league's most recognizable name at the time (outside of maybe LeBron)...See the BS suspension of Jerry Stackhouse for a "hard" foul on Shaq as well as Ron Artest's season-long suspension from the small-market Pacers.

You think Artests suspension was BS?

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think Artests suspension was BS?

Yes. You know Mr. $tern would have commit suicide at the prospects of a Pacers/Spurs final...Not too hard to see the motive there. You honestly think $tern suspended him for the integrity of the game? LOL if you think $tern ever gave a shit about integrity...

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. You know Mr. $tern would have commit suicide at the prospects of a Pacers/Spurs final...Not too hard to see the motive there. You honestly think $tern suspended him for the integrity of the game? LOL if you think $tern ever gave a shit about integrity...

The Pacers were never going to make the finals while the Pistons were around. Get over it.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

While I agree that Pacers/Spurs wouldn't have been a ratings bonanza and Stern has been quoted as saying that his dream finals would be Lakers vs. Lakers, the idea that the NBA would rig playoff series is pretty laughable.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I agree that Pacers/Spurs wouldn't have been a ratings bonanza and Stern has been quoted as saying that his dream finals would be Lakers vs. Lakers, the idea that the NBA would rig playoff series is pretty laughable.

Well in addition to Jordan withdrawal, $tern did have a hatred for Mark Cuban. How else do you explain Stackhouse being suspended in such a crucial game as well as Wade getting close to 25 free throws a game that series?

All in all, I agree that it would take a lot to rig a single playoff series, but those '06 finals were the one exception as well as possibly the Tim Donaghy-altered Spurs/Suns series in 2007.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well in addition to Jordan withdrawal, $tern did have a hatred for Mark Cuban. How else do you explain Stackhouse being suspended in such a crucial game as well as Wade getting close to 25 free throws a game that series?

All in all, I agree that it would take a lot to rig a single playoff series, but those '06 finals were the one exception as well as possibly the Tim Donaghy-altered Spurs/Suns series in 2007.

Everyone hates Mark Cuban. lol

Refs making a bad call that alters a series isn't a conspiracy. Also, the Suns cost themselves that series. While I understand them wanting to defend Nash after Horry's "hip check into the boards," it's not like they didn't know they weren't allowed to leave the bench area.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone hates Mark Cuban. lol

Refs making a bad call that alters a series isn't a conspiracy. Also, the Suns cost themselves that series. While I understand them wanting to defend Nash after Horry's "hip check into the boards," it's not like they didn't know they weren't allowed to leave the bench area.

I was referring to Game 3 of Spurs/Suns when Donaghy was there...The hip check occured in Game 4...

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was referring to Game 3 of Spurs/Suns when Donaghy was there...The hip check occured in Game 4...

My bad. I think the suspensions from game 4 had a lot more to do with the Suns losing than Donaghy's shenanigans though.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh, Miami went to the finals once when Shaq was there - In 2006. And yeah, Wade was always #1 option in Miami until LeBron arrived. The only reason Shaq got any MVP votes during his Miami tenure was because of name recognition.

But still, Riley has a point. Without Miami's 2006 title (even as scripted as it was), LeBron does not come to the Heat four years later.

I can see that... but just because an acquisition paved the way for your biggest acquisition... does that really make it your biggest acquisition?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see that... but just because an acquisition paved the way for your biggest acquisition... does that really make it your biggest acquisition?

Since it's the acquisition that was a big part of the first championship and without it, the 2nd acquisition likely never happens...yes.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Seriously? BS?

THe dude literally went up in the stands and attacked a fan. When your entire business model relies on fans being close to the action, Stern had to send a message that Artest's actions were completely unacceptable. In fact, he would not have been wrong to ban Artest for life after that incident.

There is absolutely no semi logical reasoning that would allow someone to believe that a year long suspension for arguably the most heinous on court player act in league history was Stern's way of rigging the Finals. Especially when that suspension took place before Christmas.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't think Lebron chose to join up with Wade/Bosh in Miami because they won a chip 5 years earlier.
Wade/Bosh weren't heading to Cleveland or Canada to team up.

But if you believe Shaq and that championship 5 years ago made Miami a real destination, how well has that worked for Dallas this past off-season doing the same exact thing?

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Didn't you know? Stern purposefully had Pistons fans throw objects at Artest to get him to start attacking bystanders in the stands. I saw it, Stern was standing at the entrance handing objects to all of the fans.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously? BS?

THe dude literally went up in the stands and attacked a fan. When your entire business model relies on fans being close to the action, Stern had to send a message that Artest's actions were completely unacceptable. In fact, he would not have been wrong to ban Artest for life after that incident.

There is absolutely no semi logical reasoning that would allow someone to believe that a year long suspension for arguably the most heinous on court player act in league history was Stern's way of rigging the Finals. Especially when that suspension took place before Christmas.

It's even more laughable that people like yourself think that $tern ever gave two shits about "protecting the integrity of the game".

Look, I get it - The notion of "rigged games" is almost entirely farfetched and is used as a copout excuse 99.9% of the time that it's used. But, not too many were as dialed in on the situation as I backed was in 2004 and therefore still have no idea of what I went through as a die-hard fan. Therefore, I stand by my belief until the day I die and nothing anyone will say or do will change it.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,318.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it is butt hurt.

If they never had been able to land Shaq, they would not have won the first title and the culture of the organization would have been completely different. Without that experience, Miami is just another irrelevant warm weather franchise in 2010, and it is possible that the big 3 never happens. My guess is that is where Riley's opinion is coming from. He isn't diminishing LeBron and Wades's accomplishments.

Exactly.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's even more laughable that people like yourself think that $tern ever gave two shits about "protecting the integrity of the game".

Look, I get it - The notion of "rigged games" is almost entirely farfetched and is used as a copout excuse 99.9% of the time that it's used. But, not too many were as dialed in on the situation as I backed was in 2004 and therefore still have no idea of what I went through as a die-hard fan. Therefore, I stand by my belief until the day I die and nothing anyone will say or do will change it.

What does what you "went through as a die hard fan" have to do with whether or not Stern tried to rig the finals?

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does what you "went through as a die hard fan" have to do with whether or not Stern tried to rig the finals?

It doesn't. I just have my own reasoning that most probably wouldn't understand and/or recollect as fans become further removed from the situation.