• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Okung's Letter to Seattle

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well written and best of luck to ya Russell Okung.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He should a just stayed in Seattle ... He just got @#$^# with the contract he just signed ... Elway PLAYED HIM! No guarantee money...

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He should a just stayed in Seattle ... He just got @#$^# with the contract he just signed ... Elway PLAYED HIM! No guarantee money...

Only time will tell Boogs. If Okung can stay healthy it could work out for him but that 90% mandatory ota's could be the deal breaker with his injury history. I highly doubt Seattle put him through much ota's cause of the risk but we'll see what happens to when things get started.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only time will tell Boogs. If Okung can stay healthy it could work out for him but that 90% mandatory ota's could be the deal breaker with his injury history. I highly doubt Seattle put him through much ota's cause of the risk but we'll see what happens to when things get started.

I hear ya.... Staying healthy is KEY for him... but man, no guaranteed money ? Elway was smiling...

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed! It's a win/win for Elway with little risk and a possible high reward.

The risk is Okung gets hurt, leaving the Broncos short handed and in a bind. Especially if they don't draft someone to replace him.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The risk is Okung gets hurt, leaving the Broncos short handed and in a bind. Especially if they don't draft someone to replace him.

True they could be short handed but at least they don't have to pay a dime for the troubles.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True they could be short handed but at least they don't have to pay a dime for the troubles.

What happens if he gets hurt say second or third game of the year and is going to be out for about three games, will they cut him? Knowing there is little left on the market to pick up. Not saying this well happen, just that their are risks involved. Saving some cap is nice, but hardly makes up for possibly derailing the season. My version of "those grapes were sour anyway" :D

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What happens if he gets hurt say second or third game of the year and is going to be out for about three games, will they cut him? Knowing there is little left on the market to pick up. Not saying this well happen, just that their are risks involved. Saving some cap is nice, but hardly makes up for possibly derailing the season. My version of "those grapes were sour anyway" :D

It's a valid point. I guess draft someone for the future and in case Okung does go down mid season.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Isn't the contract guaranteed for the entire season as soon as he plays game one? If he gets hurt in game 2 or 3 they wouldn't cut him because they still are on the hook for the whole year. At least that's the way I think it works.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't the contract guaranteed for the entire season as soon as he plays game one? If he gets hurt in game 2 or 3 they wouldn't cut him because they still are on the hook for the whole year. At least that's the way I think it works.

Right, it's an option contract. If they exercise the option on the first league day of 2017 (required to do so by then or he becomes a free agent) then his 2017 & 2018 salary becomes fully guaranteed and roster bonus for 2017. His salary for 2018 is $9.5M so that'd be fully guaranteed.

The contract isn't as laughable as some think. It's basically a 1 year prove it deal and if Okung plays well and gets his 2017 option exercised they he basically gets $20M no matter what.

If he gets his 2017 option exercised his contract is basically a 3 year $26M deal at worst. He'd likely never see the two final years of his contract.

He also collects another $1.5M per year if he plays the full season. So at his very best for 3 years it's a 3 year $32M contract (due to roster bonus in 2018 if not released), almost $11M per. The big advantage the Broncos get is it's still essentially a 1 year prove it deal until otherwise.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

See the whole mandatory OTA's though doesn't mean that he actually has to practice. He just has to be at the facility in some capacity. So that could mean he is in the weight room instead of on the field or watching game tape while the others practice. Heck it could mean he goes and stands on the sidelines next to some coaches while they practice and discuss what is going on.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See the whole mandatory OTA's though doesn't mean that he actually has to practice. He just has to be at the facility in some capacity. So that could mean he is in the weight room instead of on the field or watching game tape while the others practice. Heck it could mean he goes and stands on the sidelines next to some coaches while they practice and discuss what is going on.

He could still twist an ankle while watching game film :lol:. On a serious note if what you say is true, then it's a smart move on Denver's part to limit his work like the Seahawks did. Despite his injury history which was frustrating on many levels, I like Okung and wish him the best in Denver.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He could still twist an ankle while watching game film :lol:. On a serious note if what you say is true, then it's a smart move on Denver's part to limit his work like the Seahawks did. Despite his injury history which was frustrating on many levels, I like Okung and wish him the best in Denver.

It would definitely be nice to have a LT that could play an entire season. My guess is Okung is not quite that guy but we shall see. I do know the Broncos are planning on limiting him at least until May or June. So any participation at this point will just be on the sidelines or the film room. Most teams that I have seen have counted that as still participating as a lot of the veterans they don't want to push too hard at this point in the season anyway. This is more about getting the young guys up to speed.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would definitely be nice to have a LT that could play an entire season. My guess is Okung is not quite that guy but we shall see. I do know the Broncos are planning on limiting him at least until May or June. So any participation at this point will just be on the sidelines or the film room. Most teams that I have seen have counted that as still participating as a lot of the veterans they don't want to push too hard at this point in the season anyway. This is more about getting the young guys up to speed.

Okung will probably get you 10-13 games played. At least it's experience at the LT position.