• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OKLAHOMA QB: Trevor Knight or Blake Belldozer?

Wheat

High Plains Drifter...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NORMAN — Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops named redshirt freshman Trevor Knight his starting quarterback for the Sooners' 2013 season opener, scheduled for Aug. 31 against Louisiana-Monroe on Owen Field.

Knight, a San Antonio native, beat out junior and once prohibitive favorite Blake Bell in Oklahoma's first quarterback battle since 2007, when future Heisman Trophy winner Sam Bradford won the job.

Knight becomes the Sooners' first starting quarterback not named Landry Jones since Bradford's season ending injury in the 2009 Red River Rivalry game against Texas.

Bell has rushed for 24 touchdowns over the past two seasons out of the short-yardage “Belldozer” package, when he would replace Jones in games, take a shotgun snap and plow forward for first downs and touchdowns.

Last August, Stoops announced Bell was the team's second-team quarterback, causing Drew Allen to eventually transfer to Syracuse for the 2013 season using the NCAA's postgraduate transfer rule.

Last season, Bell attempted only 16 passes, and five of them game in a 69-13 rout of hapless Florida A&M.

Knight passed for 2,092 yards with 27 touchdowns and only three interceptions — and recorded 943 yards and 15 scores on the ground — during his senior season at San Antonio's Ronald Reagan High School.

He had originally committed to Texas A&M in the spring of 2011, but switched his commitment to OU before his senior year of high school.

Knight spent the 2012 season redshirting at Oklahoma and was named as one of the Sooners' Scout Team Players of the Year.

The quarterback battle began in the spring between Bell, Knight and sophomore Kendal Thompson.

Thompson was considered a viable option until suffering a foot injury on the first day of the Sooners' preseason fall camp this month.

TexasMan

mfw reading SportsHoopla
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who knows if Thompson wouldln't have been in the running if he hadn't gotten injured.

TexasMan

mfw reading SportsHoopla
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey goldbug, I merged the last one in with the big thread because the news has already been posted in that one and the posts are almost certainly going to be redundant.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey goldbug, I merged the last one in with the big thread because the news has already been posted in that one and the posts are almost certainly going to be redundant.

I'll defer to you, kind sir. Just spot me 7 points in the RRSO.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did someone say Knight was 6'3"? I see him listed at 6'1".

td2play

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Stoops isn't going to just waste this season getting Knight the experience he needs. This does not bode well for RRSO and traveling to South Bend.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see why Sooner fans view Ash as an average to below average QB based on his game against OU, which was terrible b/c it came against an average OU team. OU was an ass hair away from 5 losses last year, but was lucky to have a good enough offense with an experienced 4 year starter at QB to bail them out from losing to WVU, Okie jr, and Baylor. Their luck ran out against Aggy, as Aggy brutally raped and exposed just how bad the Sooners really were last year. So yes, if I was a Sooner fan, I would regard David Ash as a subpar QB based on that one game against a barely average Sooner team last year.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't really matter who starts at QB for the Sooners. Knight or Bell will throw for 4000 + yds in that gimmick offense no matter what, especially since the Sooners have no running game. Sooners haven't had a running game since 2008.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see why Sooner fans view Ash as an average to below average QB based on his game against OU, which was terrible b/c it came against an average OU team. OU was an ass hair away from 5 losses last year, but was lucky to have a good enough offense with an experienced 4 year starter at QB to bail them out from losing to WVU, Okie jr, and Baylor. Their luck ran out against Aggy, as Aggy brutally raped and exposed just how bad the Sooners really were last year. So yes, if I was a Sooner fan, I would regard David Ash as a subpar QB based on that one game against a barely average Sooner team last year.

TE98, I try to be fair about the Horns but let me repeat something I've said before. I have Texas ranked #5 and poised to win the Big XII conference championship. However, that is predicated on David Ash playing a hell of a lot better this year.....and I think he will. Last season was not stellar by any stretch of the imagination. He stunk up the game against OU and Texas damn near lost to KANSAS until Ash was pulled and Case McCoy produced a last-second touchdown to save that game. KANSAS. Ash went down with cracked ribs against Iowa State, and he needed to be pulled again in a Thanksgiving night home loss to TCU. The Horns played a super game against Oregon State in the Alamo Bowl and since McCoy was suspended for that game Ash went all the way. The biggest problem with Ash last year was he couldn't shake off bad plays; he would get rattled and fall apart. I do think he'll be better this year but if he reverts to form then the Horns will be stuck back in the uncomfortable position of another quarterback derby and a so-so season. A better than decent Ash + some improved line play and a strong defense should be enough to win the conference title in 2013. Don't kid yourself; an improved David Ash is a huge part of Texas either being pretty good or extremely good this year and ending up in the Top 5.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TE98, I try to be fair about the Horns but let me repeat something I've said before. I have Texas ranked #5 and poised to win the Big XII conference championship. However, that is predicated on David Ash playing a hell of a lot better this year.....and I think he will. Last season was not stellar by any stretch of the imagination. He stunk up the game against OU and Texas damn near lost to KANSAS until Ash was pulled and Case McCoy produced a last-second touchdown to save that game. KANSAS. Ash went down with cracked ribs against Iowa State, and he needed to be pulled again in a Thanksgiving night home loss to TCU. The Horns played a super game against Oregon State in the Alamo Bowl and since McCoy was suspended for that game Ash went all the way. The biggest problem with Ash last year was he couldn't shake off bad plays; he would get rattled and fall apart. I do think he'll be better this year but if he reverts to form then the Horns will be stuck back in the uncomfortable position of another quarterback derby and a so-so season. A better than decent Ash + some improved line play and a strong defense should be enough to win the conference title in 2013. Don't kid yourself; an improved David Ash is a huge part of Texas either being pretty good or extremely good this year and ending up in the Top 5.

OH, I know you're pretty level headed Goldbug, but the rest of your fan base really does view Ash as an average to below average QB due to the game against OU, which he did stink up. KU wasn't really as bad as it's made out to be, as the Jayhawks were tough as hell at home last year, but still it's KfreakinU, I know. VY almost lost to KU in '04, too. I agree with all of what you said in bold; all Ash needs to be is AJ McCarron: hand the ball off to your badass RBs, make the easy throws to keep the chains moving and just use the talent around you to help manage the game clock. We don't need Ash to be great, just good.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know what is really sad? I actually thought Ash was one of the better players in the last RRS. One of the few that seemed to actually care about the game. That is more of an indictment of other players than it is a compliment to Ash.

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
btw....don't Google Trevor Knight for images.....you get some mad gay shit popping up...

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know what is really sad? I actually thought Ash was one of the better players in the last RRS. One of the few that seemed to actually care about the game. That is more of an indictment of other players than it is a compliment to Ash.

Bingo! I was watching the game and looking around the stadium at the fans and it was spooky seeing the attitude of not only the fans but also the players. The Texas squad just looked flat. I've seen the Horns come out of that tunnel ready to take on a Panzer division, a team of Spetsnaz or the hounds of hell; they didn't care who it was just as long as they got to HIT someone. UT was arm tackling in last year's game and I swear I saw plays where players ten yards from the ball just flat stopped moving. They watched the end of the play with their hands on their hips while Mack was over on the sideline losing his shit trying to get them motivated. But trust me; this year they will come out on fire. Hide and watch. A hell of a game is coming this fall.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bingo! I was watching the game and looking around the stadium at the fans and it was spooky seeing the attitude of not only the fans but also the players. The Texas squad just looked flat. I've seen the Horns come out of that tunnel ready to take on a Panzer division, a team of Spetsnaz or the hounds of hell; they didn't care who it was just as long as they got to HIT someone. UT was arm tackling in last year's game and I swear I saw plays where players ten yards from the ball just flat stopped moving. They watched the end of the play with their hands on their hips while Mack was over on the sideline losing his shit trying to get them motivated. But trust me; this year they will come out on fire. Hide and watch. A hell of a game is coming this fall.
-
Yes, DEMarco Cobbs. He almost caught Williams on that logn run, but if you look he stops to adjust his helmet and then starts chasing Williams. That was the end of his starting LB.