• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

QB questions abound, who gets paid.. AND.. how much?

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One retiring QB (my opinion) who's contract will count against the salary cap in 2021 and two unrestricted free agent QB's that will have to be re-signed or not, leaves this organization with lots of questions requiring answers in the off season. Among them are:

1. What to do with Alex Smith post retirement? (My opinion)

It's clear that he has value as a QB whisperer and would serve the organization well mentoring young play callers. There's still the strong likelihood that Smith would decide to simply walk away, pockets full, and focused on being a full time family man. Then again, what happens if he decides to return for the 2021 season?

2. Do they re-sign or attempt to re-sign Kyle Allen and at what cost? Has he done enough to command starter money or will demands for his services drive costs beyond that which is reasonable for Washington?

3. Taylor Heinicke, who has announced that he wants to return to the WFT after his breakout performance yesterday, will also have to be signed to a contract in line with that performance and as the leading candidate for the starting job here in D.C. As is true of Kyle Allen, what's it going to take to get his name on a contract or will demands for his services drive costs beyond that which is reasonable for Washington?

4. Finally, will Washington still pursue an already established QB through free agency or via trade? Did last night's performance convince pending free agents or trade targets that there's something going good here in that they would want to become part of?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One retiring QB (my opinion) who's contract will count against the salary cap in 2021 and two unrestricted free agent QB's that will have to be re-signed or not, leaves this organization with lots of questions requiring answers in the off season. Among them are:

1. What to do with Alex Smith post retirement? (My opinion)

It's clear that he has value as a QB whisperer and would serve the organization well mentoring young play callers. There's still the strong likelihood that Smith would decide to simply walk away, pockets full, and focused on being a full time family man. Then again, what happens if he decides to return for the 2021 season?

2. Do they re-sign or attempt to re-sign Kyle Allen and at what cost? Has he done enough to command starter money or will demands for his services drive costs beyond that which is reasonable for Washington?

3. Taylor Heinicke, who has announced that he wants to return to the WFT after his breakout performance yesterday, will also have to be signed to a contract in line with that performance and as the leading candidate for the starting job here in D.C. As is true of Kyle Allen, what's it going to take to get his name on a contract or will demands for his services drive costs beyond that which is reasonable for Washington?

4. Finally, will Washington still pursue an already established QB through free agency or via trade? Did last night's performance convince pending free agents or trade targets that there's something going good here in that they would want to become part of?

What is the market price for a player like Heinicke?

There is a chance he could be a possible answer to this QB dilemma. But I hope the price is still reasonable.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There is a chance he could be a possible answer to this QB dilemma. But I hope the price is still reasonable.
Now that I’ve bought in to sportssense... I’m interested what they have to say about Heiny. Biggest criticism I’ve seen is injury concern and size in terms of why he wasn’t drafted.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He might have played himself out of a contract that Washington deems reasonable. This is a get paid while you can, for as much as you can league. He is now an unrestricted free agent and will be a hot name on the market, possibly too hot for D.C., considering Kyle Allen's status, their current contract with Alex Smith and the real chance that Washington still wants to free agent sign or trade for an already well established QB. Tough decisions ahead for this franchise.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thats the million dollar question. What is Heinicke's market value? NO way does he get starter money after just one game of performance. But you can bet there will be other suitors. I hope we are going to act fast on him while he is still in his love fest with RR and the WTF's. The longer we keep him unsigned, the greater the chance that love starts to fade and the realization by TH that the WTF's are not the only pretty girl at the bar giving you the eye.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great performance by the kid last night and a great story. You love to see when a guy has worked so hard to get on a team that he steps up big time when he gets a chance. Heinicke did that.

So that begs the next question ... why did everyone mostly pass on him over 5 years. He wasn't even the starter in the XFL if I read right.

ODU's HC when Heinicke was ready to come out the only NFL coach to come visit him was Scott Turner. Scouts came but no coaches. After the workout Turner took Heinicke out for dinner and a Heineken. Clearly he and Turner have a bond. It should serve well if the WTF decide to sign him. Coaches need to go look at the tape and decide what they want to do. The question is ... was he just a pig with lipstick on last night or is this performance repeatable.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As happy as most seem to be about the emergence of Taylor Heinicke, Smith's salary for 2021 is 24.4 million. Both Kyle Allen and Heinicke will want significant raises over current salaries with one or both wanting starter monies. Considering Smith's situation, Washington won't be able to afford both Allen and the newly discovered Heinicke. If Smith retires or is cut 10.8 million in dead cap money will be absorbed this year. (2021) For those of you wondering if there's going to be some sort of ' we believed in you and gave you the opportunity discount' from either Heinicke or Allen, ask yourself this, if given the same opportunity to capitalize on your " best opportunity to maximize salary moment" would you say "yes" to any sort of team friendly discount?

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great performance by the kid last night and a great story. You love to see when a guy has worked so hard to get on a team that he steps up big time when he gets a chance. Heinicke did that.

So that begs the next question ... why did everyone mostly pass on him over 5 years. He wasn't even the starter in the XFL if I read right.

ODU's HC when Heinicke was ready to come out the only NFL coach to come visit him was Scott Turner. Scouts came but no coaches. After the workout Turner took Heinicke out for dinner and a Heineken. Clearly he and Turner have a bond. It should serve well if the WTF decide to sign him. Coaches need to go look at the tape and decide what they want to do. The question is ... was he just a pig with lipstick on last night or is this performance repeatable.
Pretty sure it was a height issue. At least that’s the ding I’ve seen a lot. Then when in the NFL, some unfortunate injuries at the worst times. Does make you wonder about if evals of QBs by scouts, weigh too heavily on height and not enuff on smarts and intangibles. ie... ‘football player’

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Allen and Heine will be inexpensive.

Allen is a turnover machine who proved more in Carolina than he did here...and we got him at league minimum.

Heine played one pretty good game. Let’s be honest though, it was not perfect. We only scored 23 points and he had a costly turnover. He also ran like a mad man with no future...and nobody had any tape. He will get league minimum.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok allen isnt an URFA . the skins keep him by simply tendering him the NFL minimum . TH will probably get about 2-3 mil in a contract per year and will get a chance to win a position

CDC has a 23 mil cap number with a 14.7 dead cap hit pre june . post june cut it jumps to 19 mil , DH has a dead cap hit of 4.2 mil so you are looking at 19 mil in dead cap space in 21 .

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As happy as most seem to be about the emergence of Taylor Heinicke, Smith's salary for 2021 is 24.4 million. Both Kyle Allen and Heinicke will want significant raises over current salaries with one or both wanting starter monies. Considering Smith's situation, Washington won't be able to afford both Allen and the newly discovered Heinicke. If Smith retires or is cut 10.8 million in dead cap money will be absorbed this year. (2021) For those of you wondering if there's going to be some sort of ' we believed in you and gave you the opportunity discount' from either Heinicke or Allen, ask yourself this, if given the same opportunity to capitalize on your " best opportunity to maximize salary moment" would you say "yes" to any sort of team friendly discount?
as i have said at this time allen can be retained for the NFL minimum . if TH wants starter money then you let him walk because you cant afford it for a mostly unproven player. allen is an exclusive rights FA

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok allen isnt an URFA . the skins keep him by simply tendering him the NFL minimum . TH will probably get about 2-3 mil in a contract per year and will get a chance to win a position

CDC has a 23 mil cap number with a 14.7 dead cap hit pre june . post june cut it jumps to 19 mil , DH has a dead cap hit of 4.2 mil so you are looking at 19 mil in dead cap space in 21 .

Dont we have 70 mil in cap space this year? I thought I heard we are top 5 in the league in cap space.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure it was a height issue. At least that’s the ding I’ve seen a lot. Then when in the NFL, some unfortunate injuries at the worst times. Does make you wonder about if evals of QBs by scouts, weigh too heavily on height and not enuff on smarts and intangibles. ie... ‘football player’
I understand the height issue, he did look tiny out there but he is as tall or taller than Brees, Wilson, Murray and maybe Mayfield. Sometimes guys don't fit into certain offensive systems.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as i have said at this time allen can be retained for the NFL minimum . if TH wants starter money then you let him walk because you cant afford it for a mostly unproven player. allen is an exclusive rights FA
Agree, it is time for his agent to strike while hot. I don't think he can sign until the FA signing period, no? The kid wants to play. I think that is most important to him. I do not think he will be too hard to sign.

Ask tomcat, he is a guy that was so close to being a MLB player. Guys want to play when they know they have skills.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its still top 5. just looked it up