• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OK so Baalke and Harbaugh wants Alex to Throw to our new and remaining targets?

vvoland

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
No ear play tells me that everyone knows he's going to sign with us. The fact that he wouldn't get a long deal or big bucks tells me that's he's not that great.

I think his problem is more him throwing it out of bounds because he doesn't trust his receivers or his arm. I've seen him pass the ball in a tight spiral and I think if he could stop over-thinking or being so risk adverse, he'd learn to trust his arm for better throws. Note I'm not saying he would all of a sudden be Peyton Manning, just we wouldn't notice the passes out of bounds as much. (I don't see them as wobbly, I see them as purposefully thrown out of bounds to avoid the risk, which again = problem.)

i'm glad i'm not the only one that sees that and i wholeheartedly agree.

vvoland

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Would I take the Giants weapons over the Niners? Maybe...

Let me ask you, would the Niners have won that game if Eli was playing for San Francisco and Alex playing for NY? How effective would Cruz, Manningham and Nicks be with Alex throwing to them? How effective would Alex have been playing against the 49er ferocious D? lol

You might have the 50% stat to back your statement. But make no mistake, NY was attacking the line of scrimmage, especially the second half. Take a look at the second half and OT where the Niners ran 11 times including Smith's scrambles. And that Alex dropped back to pass 24 times...

Sorry, but the thought of Alex playing against the 49er defense still has me laughing...

really? you 'maybe' take the giants weapons over the 9ers? i vehemently disagree with that 'maybe.'

would the niners have won the game with eli at the helm? i'm not so sure. in that game, eli needed two very short fields to scrape together 10 [of his team's 20] points and unless the giants oblige, i don't see him winnning that game. alex also had a short field a couple of times, but that was starting on his 45, not on the giants 25. interestingly enough, we converted those two possessions into 10 points. the d gave him chances and he capitalized.

how effective would alex smith be throwing to the receivers on the giants? i'm not sure. he's never had even 1 receiver of that ilk, much less three at the same time, so i don't know how he would be in terms of throwing them open, extending plays, etc.. you also have to remember that eli has had a lot of years in the same system, with the same core group, and probably knows whether nicks wipes righty or lefty, much less how he comes out of his breaks.

eli on the 9ers, throwing to our practice squad WR, would not have anywhere near 58 attempts. would he still have been successful, i'm not so sure it would be anywhere near the success he's had in nyc. and in that specific game, where his yds/comp and yds/att were lower than alex smith, i don't think he would have had the chances to put up points like he had on the giants. remember, if kyle williams runs away from that 4th quarter punt, we win the game [not a fact, but an opinion i've very confident in].

not sure where you get the 11/24 2nd half run/pass numbers. we passed a total of 26 times, so only 2 times in the first half? looking at the play-by-play on yahoo, i see something very different.

3rd quarter: 1st possession: sack, pass [3yds], rush [ AS 1st down, via penalty, off a 3 & 19]; rush, rush, inc, inc.. so that's 50%

2nd possession: rush, pass [24], pass [28 yd TD]... so that's 4/5 in favor of the passing game.

3rd possession: rush, inc, pass [4yds on 3rd and 6]. so that's 5/7

4th quarter, 1st possession [started 0:35 in the 3rd]: rush, pass [7], rush, rush, rush [3rd and 1 for no gain].. punt. so that's 9/8 in favor of the run game.

2nd possession: rush, rush, pass [5], inc, pass [3yds on 3rd & 5]. FG... that brings us to 11/11.

3rd possession [tie game, 4:01 left]: inc, rush, sack. 12/12

4th possession [tie game, 1:39 left]: inc, inc, inc...... 12/15

5th possession [tie game, 0:12 left]: pass [3], sack, pass [29].

that brings the second half total to 12/17. the caveat is, 5 of those passes game w/ under 1:40 left, inside the niner 30 yd line. a bit hard to run the ball in that situation and i think the g's knew that as well.

OT: 1st [and last] possession: inc, rush, pass [11 on 3rd and 12].

that brings the total to 13/19. sure, not exactly 50% but its a lot closer than that total because of the situation involved. sure, we didn't rush/take a knee with a 1:40 to go and tried to aier it out. that lead to 4 INC in 5 ATT [AS was 10/20] prior to the last 2 series and neither crabtree nor davis could get that extra yard necessary on those 3rd down passes. an argument could be made that smith had other options, but i wasn't at the game so i could only see what the TV showed me.

so smith had 196 yds and 2 tds in 12 comps and 26 attempts..
eli had 316 and 2 tds in 32 and 58, respectively. yes, eli made more 'throws,' if you will. but he was put in the position where he HAD to.. and had plenty of chances to do so. the Gs had 33 more plays ran than the 9ers.. most of which went to eli.

the game was so even that the numbers like TOP [40 - 28], plays [90 - 57] jumps out at you. then TOs [0-2] explains the other two. had smith made those fumbles/ints i'd say blame him for the loss. the fact remains, we lost because of two plays, both on ST and both resulting in a tired defense being forced to go out and stop an explosive offense on a very short field. we had no such opportunities.

Last edited by a moderator:

JMedlock5186

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow this thread had it all from mediocre Quarterbacking to unique smelling assholes. I must say I had a rather good laugh

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I said he dropped back to pass (intended), not that he actually did pass. Whether he scrambled out or got sacked, the play was intended for him to pass. And I used espn play by play next to the box score...

At this point, I'm going to stick to my opinion that Eli played better then Alex in the NFCC. I've tried to shed light on all the variables why. Its also my opinion that some people see things differently, whether they can see things clearly or if they are wearing C&G blinders...

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope you guys are right, that its just a trust issue that AS has within himself and the receivers. That being said, if Harbaugh does not inspire him to trust himself more and the receiving corp, can we really have higher expectations of him? Moss is a new addition along with whom ever else is brought in, is a full off season enough to build the rapport needed for AS to have the foundation of trust with the new guys?