• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason thread, WR hunt, Cap Space now $4.768M not counting JJ and Jacobs

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even with adding Moss and Manningham, I still feel like we should get the best receiving weapon available to us at #30. To me, that's probably Fleener if he's still available.

We still have 4/5ths of our offensive line from last year and we let go of the weakest link. Outside of WRs we have the rest of our offense back from last year (QBs, RBs, FB, TEs). We have our whole starting defense back from last year.

So I think we should use the 1st rounder on a receiving weapon, because I think right now that's our biggest weakness.

We'll be able to get a RG in 2nd or later rounds, plus we'll be able to go out and pick up a free agent RG as well as some are cut. We'll be ok at RG.

But Fleener is a huge upgrade over Walker. Vernon, Fleener, Moss on the field at the same time is a major matchup problem for the defense.

Just stop with the Fleener nonsense already.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of that 6 million left, how much is Goldson expected to gobble up if he signs the franchise and they don't work out a longterm deal?

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Goldson is already factored in. His whole $6.2 or whatever million counts against the cap.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
fleener gives us an actual 2nd tight end for our offense, not some undersized coverted wr.

Walker is in a Hernandez mold. Undersized for a TE, but big for a WR. He looks pretty darn good playing with Brady and opposite Gronk. No team in the league has two big, athletically superior receiving TEs. It would be a nice addition, but something of a luxury.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Walker is in a Hernandez mold. Undersized for a TE, but big for a WR. He looks pretty darn good playing with Brady and opposite Gronk. No team in the league has two big, athletically superior receiving TEs. It would be a nice addition, but something of a luxury.

30th pick in the draft does not command such a big salary. Something like $1.5M per year or so for 4 years. I think there's a chance that Fleener may be BPA by the time we draft at 30. We can always get a RG in rounds 2 or later.

Other than that we are drafting for depth. I wouldn't want us to use our 1st rounder on a guy buried in the depth chart, like a safety or running back for example. I'd rather take Fleener who would have an impact this year.
It's Superbowl or bust this year.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
30th pick in the draft does not command such a big salary. Something like $1.5M per year or so for 4 years. I think there's a chance that Fleener may be BPA by the time we draft at 30. We can always get a RG in rounds 2 or later.

Other than that we are drafting for depth. I wouldn't want us to use our 1st rounder on a guy buried in the depth chart, like a safety or running back for example. I'd rather take Fleener who would have an impact this year.
It's Superbowl or bust this year.

I wouldn't be overly upset about adding Fleener. Harbaugh knows what he's capable of better than most, and also how the TE will factor into the offense. But Iguana's statement almost makes it sound like a need. We've got a great blocking TE in Byham if he can return from the injury, and a versatile backup in Walker who creates mismatches with LBs and DBs. Not to mention our all-world TE in Davis - assuming the end of the season was more indicative of his potential in this offense than the beginning. I think we're in good shape at TE. We could add more, but as said, it would be a luxury.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't be overly upset about adding Fleener. Harbaugh knows what he's capable of better than most, and also how the TE will factor into the offense. But Iguana's statement almost makes it sound like a need. We've got a great blocking TE in Byham if he can return from the injury, and a versatile backup in Walker who creates mismatches with LBs and DBs. Not to mention our all-world TE in Davis - assuming the end of the season was more indicative of his potential in this offense than the beginning. I think we're in good shape at TE. We could add more, but as said, it would be a luxury.

I agree with this. I'm actually in favor of drafting Still, Konz, or Glenn, but if they are all off of the board Fleener could be a solid pick up. It's not such a high salary like you were saying.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Walker isn't that great as a #2 TE. That position could be upgraded. Yes it's a luxury to draft Fleener.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought Ice missed the detroit game due to the infection? or did he come back to the detroit game?

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
updated cap space with Ginn

Thats not much space at all considering the others arent in yet and will cut that small amount even down more. I'm guessing were going to have to restructure or cut someone just to sign or draft picks????

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats not much space at all considering the others arent in yet and will cut that small amount even down more. I'm guessing were going to have to restructure or cut someone just to sign or draft picks????

should resign a couple guys to free up space, like sop. unless we go after a couple free agent signings we shouldn't have to restructure, but willis could free up a good chunk of cap space if we needed it.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There is three long snappers currently on the team. Pontbriand alone is counting $831,580 towards the cap. Lots of fringe players that won't make the final team as well.

Last edited by a moderator: