• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason thread, WR hunt, Cap Space now $4.768M not counting JJ and Jacobs

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Bingo, if there is a run at WR's in the 1st round, how about Fleener at pick #30 and possibly move up for Criner in round 2. Harbaugh loves using two TE's and Fleener would be an upgrade over Walker. Just imagine Davis, Fleener, Criner, Crabtree and Gore. That should definitely improve the offense especially in the red zone and hopefully 3rd down conversion rate.

Yeah, I saw a scenario like that earlier today as a matter of fact:
WalterFootball.com: 2012 NFL Mock Draft: First Round Continued

Fleener could be the next beast player at the TE position in the NFL. Big target / matchup nightmare in redzone. However, it still seems to me that that would be a luxury pick for us - only because we already have a dominant player at that position. Remember big body players like Finley, Gronkowski, and Graham were all taken outside the first round. Fleener is a great talent, but I'd much rather pass up on him and instead draft a similar tight end in Ladarius Green in the 3rd and 4th round. There are a lot of players I would much rather have at 30 than Fleener (though Fleener may become a better player at his respective position than the prospects that I'm leaning towards in drafting at 30). Guys like Poe, Jenkins, Ingram (could possibly drop) would bring a more value to us in the long run as a team than Fleener would as an individual since we already have Davis and Walker. With all that said, if we did end up drafting him, I wouldn't be angry but I would be slightly disappointed.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fleener could be the next beast player at the TE position in the NFL. Big target / matchup nightmare in redzone. However, it still seems to me that that would be a luxury pick for us - only because we already have a dominant player at that position. Remember big body players like Finley, Gronkowski, and Graham were all taken outside the first round. Fleener is a great talent, but I'd much rather pass up on him and instead draft a similar tight end in Ladarius Green in the 3rd and 4th round. There are a lot of players I would much rather have at 30 than Fleener (though Fleener may become a better player at his respective position than the prospects that I'm leaning towards in drafting at 30). Guys like Poe, Jenkins, Ingram (could possibly drop) would bring a more value to us in the long run as a team than Fleener would as an individual since we already have Davis and Walker. With all that said, if we did end up drafting him, I wouldn't be angry but I would be slightly disappointed.

Fleener would have to run in the 4.5s if I were to take him over Mercilus and Curry plus we get the big WR in Jones much later. OLB, CB, and WR would be added to nicely. Rogers and Brooks could walk and we sign the free agent WR we need.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
PFF's Top 50 Free Agents | ProFootballFocus.com

Ranking the 2012 Free Agents: Quarterbacks | ProFootballFocus.com

3) Alex Smith, San Francisco 49ers

Age as of September 1st, 2012: 28

2011 Grade: +11.2

Key Stat: Smith earned the third-highest regular season Accuracy Percentage at 75.1%.

Behind The Numbers: After being labeled a bust and given one last chance in 2011, Smith made the most of his opportunity. When a team has an elite defense and a good run game, the quarterback’s job is simply not to make mistakes and Smith did exactly that. He made the safe throws and executed them accurately. The chances are very good that he will remain in San Francisco unless the 49ers opt to upgrade. While he has been in the league for a number of years now, he still is young enough to have plenty of seasons ahead of him.

Free Agency: Shopping for Experience | ProFootballFocus.com

Ranking the 2012 Free Agents: Edge Rushers | ProFootballFocus.com

Ranking the 2012 Free Agents: Wide Receivers | ProFootballFocus.com

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Point well taken. If Jenkins does fall to #30, that would be a steal especially if the Niners fail to sign Rogers. Is Poe strictly NT, or can he play RE/LE in the 3-4?

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Point well taken. If Jenkins does fall to #30, that would be a steal especially if the Niners fail to sign Rogers. Is Poe strictly NT, or can he play RE/LE in the 3-4?

Definitely yes! If Jenkins is there that would be grand larceny.

Poe is very athletic. You can move him around like Haloti Ngata. He can be that impact player playing the nose or re/le positions equally well. So no, he's not "strictly a NT". He is a freaking ox when it comes to brute strength, but that's not all. He runs well too for a man his size.

A mammoth figure at 6-foot-5, 350 pounds, Poe, a former high school state shot-put champ, can squat 700 pounds, bench 500 and power clean 400. "I've been around some very strong defensive linemen when I was coaching in the NFL, and Poe's up there with all of them," says Tigers strength coach Ryan Cidzik, who has coached the likes of Shaun Rogers and Kris Jenkins. "If I have another year with him, he will probably be the strongest player I've ever been around."

More on Poe:
2012 NFL Draft: 4 Elite Playmakers 49ers Should Consider Trading Up to Get | Bleacher Report

Last edited by a moderator:

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Originally Published: February 16, 2012Players who should be taggedTeams should use franchise tag on Brees, Rice, Welker, Forte and RogersEmailPrintComments16By Vince Verhei
Football Outsiders
Archive

AP Photo/Rusty Costanza
Both of these players have played pivotal roles in the Saints' recent success.

In the past three years, an average of 11 teams have used the franchise tag every year. Expect that number to rise in 2012. Franchise tag values are calculated differently under the new collective bargaining agreement than they were under the old deal, and as a result they have dropped by $1.5 million to $2.5 million, depending on the position. It's much cheaper for teams to use the franchise tag now than it has been in the past, and doing so makes sense for more teams than not.

Here are five teams that need to use their franchise tags, and the players they'll want to stick around:

New Orleans Saints
Player(s): Drew Brees, QB; Carl Nicks, G

The Saints' franchise tag situation is a little complicated, because they have two of the league's best players at their positions about to become free agents. As always, though, it begins with the quarterback, and Brees takes obvious precedence over Nicks.

Brees finished first overall in total value according to Football Outsiders' quarterback rankings. He has finished in the top 10 for eight seasons in a row, and has missed the top five just one time in the past six seasons. There is no chance -- none -- that the Saints will risk losing him in free agency, and they won't hesitate to use the franchise tag on him if necessary.

However, if they can work out a new deal with Brees before Monday's deadline, then that would allow them to use the franchise tag on Nicks instead. Brees gets all the headlines and sets all the records, but New Orleans also has the best interior line in the league. The Saints' blockers led the league in adjusted line yards last season, and were also No. 1 in runs up the middle. They've ranked eighth or better in both categories since Nicks entered the lineup in 2008.

That's mostly due to Nicks and fellow guard Jahri Evans. Neither man has missed a start in the past four seasons. Evans signed a deal worth more than $56 million two years ago. Now it's Nicks' turn to get paid. The only question is whether he'll be drawing a paycheck in New Orleans, or somewhere else.

One final note on the Saints: If they slap Brees with the franchise tag, it would be difficult for another team to sign him, but not impossible. As Nate Davis of USA Today points out, another team could still sign Brees to a contract, if it is willing to forfeit two first-round picks to New Orleans in the deal.

That price has been too steep for any team to pay in free agency for nearly a decade and a half, but Brees is far from your average franchised player. If you are, let's say, the San Francisco 49ers, and you can afford Brees' financial demands, don't you have to at least consider making that deal?

Baltimore Ravens
Player: Ray Rice, RB

Rice was second in the league in rushing yards, and led the league in yards from scrimmage. He didn't fare quite as well in Football Outsiders' advanced metrics, which graded him 13th in rushing value, but he was still second among running backs in receiving value, and second in total value, as well. With Rice, the Ravens came within three points of playing in the Super Bowl. Without him, it's hard to see how they could have made the playoffs.

This wasn't a one-year flash in the pan for Rice, either -- he has ranked 13th or higher in rushing and receiving value in both 2009 and 2010, and he just turned 25 last month. What you've got here is a young, versatile, proven commodity, with plenty of good years ahead of him. Ozzie Newsome didn't earn a reputation as one of the league's best general managers by letting players like Rice slip through his fingers.

New England Patriots
Player: Wes Welker, WR

A lot of wide receivers will be hitting the open market soon, wideouts like Dwayne Bowe, Vincent Jackson, DeSean Jackson, Reggie Wayne, Marques Colston, Brandon Lloyd and more. None, though, has found a more perfect home than Welker has in New England. Welker finished third in Football Outsiders' wide receiver rankings this season. He has now been fourth or higher three times in the past five years, and in one of the seasons he failed to pull that off, his quarterback was Matt Cassel.

And if you think Welker is limited to slants and crossing routes, then you're missing the big-play ability he demonstrated in 2011. He averaged a career-best 12.9 yards per reception last year, with 21 catches of 20 yards or more. He had never before produced more than 13 20-yard receptions in a season. Critics will say that the Super Bowl turned when Welker failed to reel in a critical pass in the fourth quarter, but they're missing the fact Welker caught each of the other seven passes thrown his way in that game.

Chicago Bears
Player: Matt Forte, RB

Forte's overall statistics aren't as gaudy as those of Rice, but he still finished 10th in the league in yards from scrimmage despite missing four games. He was 36th in Football Outsiders' rushing tables, and 26th in receiving value, but none of these numbers take Forte's teammates into account. The Bears have one of the worst offensive lines in the league, and have for years. And on a per-game basis, Forte was responsible for a bigger chunk of the Bears' offense (37.0 percent) than Rice was for the Ravens' offense (36.8 percent).

The Bears finished 8-8 last season, but they were 7-3 with Jay Cutler starting. They play in a tough division, but as we saw in the playoffs, the Lions and Packers are not unbeatable. With a soft schedule that includes both the AFC South and the NFC West, the Bears should have realistic playoff hopes in 2012. But they'll need their star runner to get there.

San Francisco 49ers
Player: Carlos Rogers, CB

A bunch of other cornerbacks could also be franchised (Atlanta's Brent Grimes and Kansas City's Brandon Carr come immediately to mind), but none meant more to their team in 2011 than Rogers. Based on FO game charting stats, opponents threw at Rogers 93 times last season. Only three cornerbacks were targeted more often. However, Rogers rose to the occasion, forcing an incomplete pass or a failed completion (at Football Outsiders, we consider a catch to have failed if it picked up less than 45 percent of yards to go on first down, 60 percent on second down or 100 percent on third or fourth down) on 65 percent of those throws.

There were 108 defensive backs with at least 30 targets last season, and only seven of them had a higher success rate than Rogers. Nate Clements, the man Rogers replaced in San Francisco, had a success rate of only 50 percent in 2010. Rogers deserves as much credit as anyone for the 49ers' defensive turnaround last year. A few weeks ago, the 49ers took the eventual Super Bowl champions into overtime. This is not the time to let key defenders walk away just to save a few bucks.

Vince Verhei is a contributor to the college football and NFL sections of Rumor Central, the Quick Reads and Any Given Sunday columns covering the best players and biggest upsets each week of the NFL season, available on ESPN Insider. He has been a writer and editor for Football Outsiders since 2007. Follow him on Twitter here.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but none meant more to their team in 2011 than Rogers. Based on FO game charting stats, opponents threw at Rogers 93 times last season. Only three cornerbacks were targeted more often. However, Rogers rose to the occasion, forcing an incomplete pass or a failed completion (at Football Outsiders, we consider a catch to have failed if it picked up less than 45 percent of yards to go on first down, 60 percent on second down or 100 percent on third or fourth down) on 65 percent of those throws.

Jeez, what does that say about T Brown?

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but none meant more to their team in 2011 than Rogers. Based on FO game charting stats, opponents threw at Rogers 93 times last season. Only three cornerbacks were targeted more often. However, Rogers rose to the occasion, forcing an incomplete pass or a failed completion (at Football Outsiders, we consider a catch to have failed if it picked up less than 45 percent of yards to go on first down, 60 percent on second down or 100 percent on third or fourth down) on 65 percent of those throws.

Jeez, what does that say about T Brown?

That stat is a little misleading though. Teams abandoned the run against the 49ers defense, so the number of total passes thrown at any 49er CB is certainly going to increase.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pff says lloyd could get lost in the shuffle and be a steal for someone. i'm kinda hoping we can walk away with colston and lloyd at decent contracts, like maybe both for what it would cost to sign a bigger name like jackson or bowe

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ranking the 2012 Free Agents: Offensive Tackles | ProFootballFocus.com

Ranking the 2012 Free Agents: Tight Ends | ProFootballFocus.com

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/02/15/ranking-the-2012-free-agents-edge-rushers/

Ranking the 2012 Free Agents: Outside Linebackers | ProFootballFocus.com

3. Manny Lawson, Cincinnati Bengals

Age as of September 1st, 2012: 28

2011 Grade: +10.2

Key Stat: Missed just two tackles against the run and did not have a penalty called against him all season.

Behind the Numbers: After having played outside in San Francisco’s 3-4, it was interesting watching Lawson adjust to playing in a four-man front. He surpassed almost all expectations and, if anything, looked more suited to the Bengals’ scheme. While Lawson may only be a two-down player (he graded negatively in coverage) he does have some versatility in that he can play with his hand on the ground if needed. He gasn’t quite had the success of Kamerion Wimbley in Oakland but he is a solid role player who should continue to improve.

-----------

Ranking the 2012 Free Agents: Inside Linebackers | ProFootballFocus.com

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Originally Published: February 21, 2012

Scouts Inc.: Offseason NFC needs
Breaking down the three most critical areas of need for each team in the NFC
By Gary Horton
Scouts Inc.

With free agency just around the corner, and the 2012 NFL draft to follow, we again asked the Scouts Inc. crew to break down the tape, consider the market and point out the biggest needs for each team as we head into a solid stretch of player movement.

NFC team-by-team needs

NFC East​

Dallas Cowboys
Top needs:
1. Cornerback: The Cowboys were exposed in their secondary last season, ranking 23rd in pass defense. Terence Newman will be entering his 10th season if he's back for 2012, while Michael Jenkins hasn't been consistent enough in his four years. During the past five seasons, the Cowboys have drafted only one cornerback in the first three rounds. They'll look hard at that position this offseason.

2. Safety: With the amount of blitzing Rob Ryan does as a defensive coordinator, his scheme needs consistency from the safety position. Missed assignments and tackles, along with not making plays on the ball were common for the Cowboys' safeties in 2011. They need a versatile playmaking safety to help defend the likes of Eli Manning and Michael Vick twice a year.

3. Defensive end: The Cowboys held up well against the run, allowing fewer than 100 yards per game. The scheme doesn't call for pass-rushing defensive ends, but acquiring depth to play behind Kenyon Coleman, entering his 12th season, and Jason Hatcher, entering his seventh season, will be valuable for the defense down the road.
Other needs: Backup QB, G, WR

New York Giants
Top needs:
1. Offensive tackle: The Giants did well during the regular season keeping Manning upright, allowing only 28 sacks. David Diehl, 31, will move inside to play guard, Will Beatty returns from injured reserve and Kareem McKenzie is scheduled to be a free agent. Drafting the best tackle available is the top priority for the Giants.

2. Cornerback: The Giants drafting a cornerback high is contingent on whether they bring Aaron Ross and Terrell Thomas back, although Prince Amukamara was serviceable during his rookie season. In a pass-driven league, having depth at the cornerback position will be crucial going forward.

3. Tight end: Jake Ballard replacing Kevin Boss went better than the Giants could have imagined. However, Ballard is extremely limited stretching the field with his lack of athleticism. Travis Beckum was drafted to be a versatile tight end, but he has been inconsistent in his young career. Worse, both guys will be coming off ACL injuries, so the Giants will need to consider both the draft and the marketplace to find someone who can help early on in 2012.
Other needs: Backup QB, RB (if Brandon Jacobs leaves), WR (if Mario Manningham leaves)

Philadelphia Eagles
Top needs:
1. Middle linebacker: After the experiment with Casey Matthews at middle linebacker went badly, the Eagles looked to 2010 seventh-round pick Jamar Chaney. He had a team-high 92 tackles but was often exposed in the middle of Jim Washburn's wide-nine defensive line style. They need a middle linebacker who can hold up at the point of attack.

2. Outside linebacker: Both starting outside linebackers (Akeem Jordan and Brian Rolle) are serviceable special-teams players at best. The Eagles need to find some players who can stack and shed blockers in the run game while not being a liability in the pass game. They haven't drafted an outside linebacker in the first two rounds since 2005.

3. Guard/offensive tackle: The unit as a whole had a productive season even while starting two rookies (Danny Watkins and Jason Kelce). Longtime NFL O-line coach Howard Mudd did his job. Right tackle Todd Herremans will be entering his eighth season and played pretty well moving from guard to tackle midseason. The Eagles should look for a tackle in the middle rounds so they can establish depth and a possible successor in the final two years of Herremans' contract.
Other needs: WR (if DeSean Jackson leaves), S, backup QB

Washington Redskins
Top needs:
1. Quarterback: It is safe to say the Rex Grossman/John Beck experiment didn't work out, as the quarterbacks combined to throw for 19 touchdowns and 24 interceptions. Mike Shanahan will look for a quarterback with mobility to operate his offense. If the Redskins want to get back into the playoff picture, they need to get their franchise quarterback. If they want Baylor's Robert Griffin III, they will likely have to move up above Cleveland at No. 4, or they could spend a lot of money on Peyton Manning or Matt Flynn.

2. Wide receiver: Both starting receivers (Santana Moss and Jabar Gaffney) have 10-plus years of experience. The Redskins don't have explosive players to stretch the field or the size to be successful in the red zone. They need a big-bodied wide receiver who can be mentored by the current veteran receivers and develop with whomever the new quarterback is for years to come. It's possible they could be active in free agency, and not just the draft.

3. Guard/offensive tackle: The Redskins' interior line really struggled in both pass and rush offense. Their quarterbacks were hit the third most in the league, and the run game between the tackles was nonexistent. They should look to find someone they can pair up with left tackle Trent Williams to solidify that side of the line.
Other needs: Safety/cornerback, backup MLB

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
NFC North​

Chicago Bears
Top needs:
1. Tight end: With the departure of Greg Olsen to Carolina, the tight end position became nonexistent in Chicago's offense last season. Neither Kellen Davis nor Matt Spaeth is a long-term solution for new offensive coordinator Mike Tice. Getting a versatile tight end will allow Jay Cutler to attack the middle of the field and make it harder for teams to key on Matt Forte. Washington's Fred Davis or Green Bay's Jermichael Finley would be huge upgrades.

2. Wide receiver: They are in search of a No. 1 receiver, as Johnny Knox, Earl Bennett and Devin Hester are solid complementary receivers at best. Roy Williams had an average season (507 yards, two TDs) in his first year with the Bears, and he will be a free agent. Finding a big-bodied receiver with yards-after-catch ability like Vincent Jackson will allow the offense to be multi-dimensional. Reggie Wayne would also be interesting here.

3. Outside linebacker: Lance Briggs is coming off another 100-tackle season, but like Brian Urlacher, he is starting to get up there in age. The Bears need to find an outside linebacker with coverage skills who can complement Briggs for at least the final two years of his contract.
Other needs: LT, G, backup RB

Detroit Lions
Top needs:
1. Cornerback: The Lions haven't drafted a cornerback in the first two rounds since Terry Fair in 1998. Chris Houston steadily improved during the course of the season, but the overall cornerback play struggled -- the Lions allowed nearly 250 yards per game through the air. A solid cornerback who can help against Aaron Rodgers and Cutler is the biggest need.

2. Center/guard: Center Dominic Raiola has been a model of consistency, but he is past his prime. Guards Rob Sims and Stephen Peterman are serviceable players who have struggled at times to create a clean pocket that Matthew Stafford can step up in. Adding a young interior lineman will be key for the Lions moving forward.

3. Inside linebacker/outside linebacker: The Lions used free agency last year to fill out their linebacking corps. DeAndre Levy has had a productive start to his career, but the big question will be if they bring back tackling machine Stephen Tulloch. Even if Tulloch comes back, the Lions should be looking to add depth to the position.
Other needs: S, LT (if Jeff Backus leaves), DE (if Cliff Avril leaves)

Green Bay Packers
Top needs:
1. Outside linebacker: Green Bay ranked 27th in the league with 29 sacks in the regular season, and much of that was due to the fact the Packers lacked a strong complement to Clay Matthews on the outside. And the pass rush got worse later in the year. Finding a dynamic outside linebacker will be key for the Packers to get a more consistent pass rush.

2. Cornerback: Poor coverage skills, missed assignments and a lack of a pass rush contributed to the Packers allowing the most passing yards in NFL history, and the great Charles Woodson is near the end of his career. Bringing in a cornerback to push Tramon Williams and Sam Shields for playing time may be the best solution for Dom Capers' defense.

3. Safety: This need is contingent upon whether or not Nick Collins can come back healthy. Losing the Pro Bowl safety was the biggest blow the Packers took all season and contributed to the poor secondary play. In a pass-driven league, it's never a problem to have depth at the safety position.
Other needs: RB (if Ryan Grant leaves), C (if Scott Wells leaves), backup QB (if Flynn leaves)

Minnesota Vikings
Top needs:
1. Offensive tackle: Charlie Johnson and Phil Loadholt simply are adequate tackles at best. If they want to keep Christian Ponder off the ground and give Adrian Peterson opportunities to get to the defense's second level, they need to find a franchise tackle.

2. Wide receiver: Percy Harvin has been a versatile and dynamic wide receiver in his young career. However, he is not a No. 1 receiver and outside of him the Vikings don't have any weapons that Ponder can look to on a regular basis. Finding a receiver to complement Harvin will make the Vikings more explosive in the pass and run game. Dwayne Bowe might be a fit.

3. Safety: Minnesota's defense had the fewest number of interceptions in the league and allowed the second most plays of 40 yards or longer. Both statistics are indicative of poor safety play. Finding a young safety with coverage skills will go a long way to helping defend the likes of Rodgers, Stafford and Cutler twice a season.
Other needs: CB, ILB/MLB, DE

NFC South

Atlanta Falcons
Top needs:
1. Guard/offensive tackle: The sack total was low, but Matt Ryan was hit 84 times, which ranked seventh most in the league. Sam Baker and Will Svitek have not played with enough consistency on the left side for the Falcons to feel comfortable with them protecting Ryan's long-term health. They could go after Carl Nicks or Marcus McNeill.

2. Defensive end: Ray Edwards was supposed to be the Falcons' solution to their pass-rush problems, but he didn't live up to expectations. John Abraham had another productive season with 9.5 sacks, but is a free agent and will be entering his 13th season. They need to get a better pass rush to take stress off the secondary. Avril could be an option if he isn't franchised by the Lions.

3. Cornerback: Eventually, Dunta Robinson has to live up to the big contract he signed two years ago. In free agency, they will need to make a decision on whether they will bring the talented Brent Grimes back. The cornerbacks weren't the weakest part of this team, but adding depth to combat the NFC South quarterbacks is necessary.
Other needs: FS, WR, RB

Carolina Panthers
Top needs:
1. Wide receiver: Finding a receiver to pair with Steve Smith in the passing game is absolutely essential for the development of Cam Newton. At the end of the year, the Panthers demonstrated how explosive they could be. Adding another talented receiver will force teams to make a decision on whether they can afford to double Smith.

2. Cornerback: Carolina allowed the third highest passer rating for opposing quarterbacks last season. Across the board, they don't have one defensive player that opposing teams fear. Upgrading through free agency or the draft is necessary to compete in the NFC South.

3. Guard: The Panthers showed they could have success with the read-option as the season went on. Acquiring an athletic run-blocking guard to pave the way for Newton and the running backs would increase the productivity of the entire offense.
Other needs: TE, backup QB, DT

New Orleans Saints
Top needs:
1. Outside linebacker: Scott Shanle will be 33 next season and Jo-Lonn Dunbar is a free agent. Martez Wilson, last year's third-round pick, will receive more reps next season, but if an outside linebacker with some pass-rush skills that new coordinator Steve Spagnuolo likes is available, the Saints should address the need via free agency or the draft.

2. Cornerback: The Saints ranked 30th in the league in pass defense and had only nine interceptions. Tracy Porter and veteran Leigh Torrence are both free agents, while former first-rounder Patrick Robinson hasn't developed as fast as they would have liked.

3. Safety: Roman Harper and Malcolm Jenkins may have gotten complacent in their starting roles last season. There is a big need for a guy who can come in and push the incumbent safeties for a starting job. A hybrid safety is someone they may target in the draft.

Other needs: DT, WR (if they lose Marques Colston or Robert Meachem), backup QB

Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Top needs:
1. Cornerback: Ronde Barber is 36 years old, coming off arm surgery and will be a free agent. Aqib Talib has had off-field issues and has at times struggled on the field. The Bucs need an impact corner who can help improve the league's 21st-ranked pass defense, and Morris Claiborne of LSU looks like a perfect fit.

2. Outside linebacker: Poor tackling and no pass rush were issues with Tampa Bay's outside linebackers last season. This position was a revolving door with average to below-average players. Whoever they get likely will come in and start immediately.

3. Strong safety: Sean Jones is scheduled to be a free agent. Tampa Bay needs a strong safety who can tackle and play well in run support, while not being a liability in coverage. This defense allowed a league-high 30 points per game and is in desperate need of overhauling the current personnel.

Other needs: RB, TE, speed WR

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
NFC West

Arizona Cardinals
Top needs:
1. Offensive tackle: Levi Brown hasn't displayed much promise over the past five seasons to solidify himself as Arizona's franchise left tackle, right tackle Brandon Keith is a free agent and depth at the position is nonexistent. Cardinals quarterbacks were sacked 54 times last season, which ranked as the second highest total in the NFL behind the Rams.

2. Guard/center: They might be able to get by with Daryn Colledge and Rex Hadnot for one more year in an effort to acquire an offensive tackle or two but they need youth on the line. In the past five years they have drafted two offensive linemen in the first five rounds (Brown and Herman Johnson).

3. Cornerback: A lot of question marks surround this position. They need to re-sign Richard Marshall, but will Greg Toler return from injury and will Patrick Peterson become the playmaker in the secondary that he is on special teams?

Other needs: WR, OLB, S

St. Louis Rams
Top needs:
1. Offensive tackle: Rodger Saffold had an injury-riddled second season, but most would say he simply regressed on the field after a pretty good rookie season. Jason Smith will be battling concussion problems for the rest of his career, so Jeff Fisher must find someone to protect Sam Bradford's blind side. USC's Matt Kalil is a terrific fit in the draft if they stay at No. 2, but they will likely be offered too much to stay there.

2. Cornerback: Injuries struck all of the starters in the secondary last season and as a result, the Rams ranked in the bottom half of the league with 12 interceptions. There isn't one player in the current crop of Rams cornerbacks who strikes fear into an opposing quarterback or wide receiver.

3. Wide receiver: It's unknown whether Brandon Lloyd will return to St. Louis or explore his options around the league, possibly to New England to reunite with Josh McDaniels. Getting Danny Amendola and Greg Salas back from injuries will help Bradford, but he needs a big-bodied possession receiver who he can look to under pressure. Justin Blackmon would be a great fit for the Rams.

Other needs: SS, G/C, OLB

San Francisco 49ers
Top needs:
1. Cornerback: Carlos Rogers played well in his first season in San Francisco and is scheduled to be a free agent. Rookie Chris Culliver saw action and played well, while Tarell Brown had a career-high four interceptions. But the front seven was so dominant throughout the season that most of the deficiencies in San Francisco's secondary weren't exposed, so this is still a need, particularly if Rogers moves on.

2. Defensive end: Justin Smith and Ray McDonald played a major role in the 49ers' front seven success. Finding a true five technique defensive end to provide depth at the position will go a long way toward San Francisco maintaining its defensive dominance for the coming years under coordinator Vic Fangio.

3. Wide receiver: Josh Morgan was sidelined for most of the year and will be a free agent. The 49ers really like what he brings to the table and believe they would have been a more dynamic offense with him in the lineup. Acquiring a tall receiver to help out with the 49ers' red zone problems would make the offense more efficient.

Other needs: C/G, OLB, S

Seattle Seahawks

Top needs:
1. Defensive end: Chris Clemons had another solid season as a pass-rusher with 11 sacks, but the Seahawks will look to find a dynamic pass-rushing end to complement him. They have taken three defensive ends in the first five rounds over the past five seasons with mixed results.

2. Quarterback: Tarvaris Jackson is in the last year of his contract, while Charlie Whitehurst is scheduled to be a free agent. The organization is high on Josh Portis, but not as a starter in the immediate future. They will definitely be in the middle of free agent and draft quarterback discussions. Will they jump in the Peyton Manning sweepstakes or will they look at Flynn? Their best option in the draft might be Ryan Tannehill.

3. Middle linebacker: This is all contingent on David Hawthorne's status. He put together another productive season, but he will be a free agent. With him the Seahawks were stout against the run and ranked ninth in total defense.

Other needs: OT, OLB, S

Gary Horton, a pro scout for Scouts Inc., has been a football talent evaluator for more than 30 years. He spent 10 years in the NFL and 10 years at the college level before launching a private scouting firm, The War Room.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That stat is a little misleading though. Teams abandoned the run against the 49ers defense, so the number of total passes thrown at any 49er CB is certainly going to increase.

My point is you would think they would throw at Brown more.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
James Miller's tweet on Carl Nicks:

Nicks said new contract has to be more than teammate J Evans $ 56.7 M dollar deal.
3 hours ago via

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers Will Weigh Ginn's Worth as Return Man | NBC Bay Area

I like him as a return guy, but only if the price is right. The 49ers have greater needs than one of the better return guys. Its not like Kyle Williams is going to fumble every KR/PR from here on out. *knock on wood*

I just can't see using 1 million plus on a return specialist, when the team would be much better off to use that cash on one of the premiere free agent WRs (or two of them).

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I like him as a return guy, but only if the price is right. The 49ers have greater needs than one of the better return guys. Its not like Kyle Williams is going to fumble every KR/PR from here on out. *knock on wood*

I just can't see using 1 million plus on a return specialist, when the team would be much better off to use that cash on one of the premiere free agent WRs (or two of them).

i hope kyle never fumbles another return

ie his ass is on the bench during returns

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barrows just mentioned on twitter that Brooks is looking for 8Mill per.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pretty sure he'll never fumble again...

for he will never return one again.

(sorry guys, overdramatic but come on, that fucker fucked us 2x IN THE NFC TITLE gm)