• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason Football and Basketball Thread

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly Arizona has nothing to gain from this series. It will be nice to demolish desperate pretenders that always talk smack but I would prefer it we stick to scheduling P5 schools.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sean miller officially named USA Basketball U19 head coach. Cool stuff; congrats coach! Way to represent.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Damon Stoudemire is heading to Memphis now to be an assistant. Wants to be closer to his sons. It's been a somewhat depressing offseason for us.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess his position was year to year. Why cant Miller just keep him as an assistant? It seems like all the news I read about us is bad.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It definitely seems like Miller is making big changes in his staff. We also lost GA David Miller to Alabama. Hopefully we don't lose Book. I'd be really interested to see what the strategy is with all of this. I don't know if it's all a good thing or bad, but things are definitely happening. Might just be trying to shake things up to sharpen the staff. Not sure.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Off-seasons are always tough for U of A hoops. The talent has been elite for years, which means we will always see guys we wished would stay heading to the NBA draft. I always feel that uncomfortable (but excited) uncertainty at the start of each season, but, at least recently, they usually ease those concerns by starting out like 11-0.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Off-seasons are always tough for U of A hoops. The talent has been elite for years, which means we will always see guys we wished would stay heading to the NBA draft. I always feel that uncomfortable (but excited) uncertainty at the start of each season, but, at least recently, they usually ease those concerns by starting out like 11-0.

You're right. Although, losing 4/5 of our starters is a hit for sure. Not to say we can't bounce back, but it really disrupts the continuity. Allen and Anderson practiced with the team, so that definitely helps.

Our non-con looks pretty easy next year, with only really games @GU and against Mich State in Anaheim as the tough ones. That being said, we didn't lose any games against tough opponents last year's reg season.

I think we'll need some time to gel all the new roles and players, and for a leader to form.

But we are deep, talented, and well-coached. The Pac is on the rise, so that should also help. I think we'll be ready for March. It's tough to have a team every year banging on the door to get into the FF. Makes me realize how consistently good we've been for the last few years. Hopefully we can stay up there and play our best in March.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah ASU appears to have a tougher non conf than us. UK is too scared to schedule is obviously.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah ASU appears to have a tougher non conf than us. UK is too scared to schedule is obviously.

They do, and honestly, good for them. Good for Hurley to step up and go run with the big boys. It's ambitious of him. I think they'll get wiped by UK, but some of those other games will be good experience and a close one will be a confidence builder. Hell, hopefully they win one and rep the Pac. Bring that on the road in conference so we're not the only one teams prep for that week.

Overall, I like our non-con. Obviously I'd like to see another home and home against a top tier team. We have one with GU, and we're playing in a pretty good non-con tourney. Winning one of those is always good, and MSU is expected to be 3rd in the B1G from some of the stuff I've heard. We'll see. Michigan wasn't good last year; it happens.

Plus, I think the Pac will be better next year so those games will help a lot, and be closer to getting us ready for March.

You're right though. It's cool that teams don't want to come west, and it's because we win. Sucks that we get cut out of some of the other good scheduling that happens back east every year.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
anigifenhancedbuzz10877134444807622_1-2.gif

WhoDatDevil

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see Arizona maintaining the success they had in 2014. Still a young team overall with a new look O-line and not much depth at crucial positions. Scheme, especially on offense, will allows them to win at least 7 games but with the strength of the Pac-12 south I don't see another repeat. Rich Rod is a good offensive coach but won't win a championship.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see Arizona maintaining the success they had in 2014. Still a young team overall with a new look O-line and not much depth at crucial positions. Scheme, especially on offense, will allows them to win at least 7 games but with the strength of the Pac-12 south I don't see another repeat. Rich Rod is a good offensive coach but won't win a championship.

A repeat will be tough, no doubt. From what I've seen, AZ, ASU, USC, and UCLA will all be ranked, and Utah will be knocking on the door. I think UCLA takes it this season, but it'll be a dogfight for all.

I think "winning a championship" is relative to the conference. Being 2nd in the Pac is great no matter what, especially coming out of the South. It's your current ceiling, as well. I'm also not exactly seeing anything more from Graham than RR that tells me he can win the 'ship either.

WhoDatDevil

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ASU lacks die hard fan support but Graham has the tools to win a P12 Championship at ASU. That's a discussion for another board however.

Look RR is much better than Stoops and you can argue last year was one of the best seasons UofA has ever had. But besides your LBs, the defense still struggled. You have to play defense to win championships. I've always said RR is a catalyst coach that can give your program an identity. So far that identity is good offense. I think that will bring your program success but won't take them to the next level. He recruits well but not great. The facilities were upgraded and you saw a boost from that. But the stadium is terrible. The fan base is loyal but the market is tough (#1 in Forbes last week for worst job prospects). That stuff matters when you're a state school. Also, how many players did he get drafted this year? Ouch.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, how many players did he get drafted this year? Ouch.

You mean the undrafted players that beat your drafted ones? Haha ouch!