• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Season Thread - 2013 Edition

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
789563.jpg

ARLINGTON, Texas — Texas Rangers fans showed up at Rangers Ballpark before 3 p.m. for the Yu Darvish bobbleheads on Tuesday.

The giveaway, which features a strikeout counter, has a fan in Darvish.

"It's very good looking and I'm very satisfied," Darvish said.

Gates at Rangers Ballpark didn't open until 5 p.m. CT, but that didn't keep fans from waiting outside in the hot temperatures for a shot at one of the 20,000 bobbleheads.

A Japanese media member said the bobblehead would probably be worth $100 in Japan. As for stateside, the bobbleheads are going for more than $30 on Ebay.

The draw of the bobblehead was the big reason more than 40,000 tickets were sold for the game. Monday's series opener between the Rangers and Indians drew just over 33,000.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. Tht last one came out all FUBAR.

Hopefully this will work better. Just heard the reason that Jeff Baker will miss a game or two.

He sprained his thumb. Giving a teammate a high five.

You just can't make this stuff up......

fanman8825

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Wow. Tht last one came out all FUBAR.

Hopefully this will work better. Just heard the reason that Jeff Baker will miss a game or two.

He sprained his thumb. Giving a teammate a high five.

You just can't make this stuff up......

We also caught a break with L.Martin. It look like he hurt his hand or wrist diving for that ball Encarnacion hit in the 8th inning. Apparently everything is ok

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Wed evening ... on the out of town scoreboard ... BAL 13 @ DET 3 ... CD had 2 HRs ... and Taylor Teagarden had one as well! TT's BA .071 hasn't changed much since he left the TEX system.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was on this date back in 1991 that, at Comiskey Park, Ivan Rodríguez makes his major league debut with the Rangers. The 19-year old backstop becomes the youngest person to catch a major league game.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was on this date back in 1991 that, at Comiskey Park, Ivan Rodríguez makes his major league debut with the Rangers. The 19-year old backstop becomes the youngest person to catch a major league game.

I'm freaking old :L

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Rangers call up Martin Perez to start Saturday - Dallas Texas Rangers Blog - ESPN Dallas

Well ... here he is. TBD (Ortiz) who gets sent down to make room for him. Lindblom down to make room for Mitch.

ARLINGTON, Texas -- The Texas Rangers will call up top pitching prospect Martin Perez and start him Saturday against the St. Louis Cardinals.

The Rangers announced after Thursday's game that right-hander Josh Lindblom, who started Thursday against Oakland, has been optioned to Triple-A Round Rock and first baseman Mitch Moreland will be activated and play Friday

fanman8825

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Rangers call up Martin Perez to start Saturday - Dallas Texas Rangers Blog - ESPN Dallas

Well ... here he is. TBD (Ortiz) who gets sent down to make room for him. Lindblom down to make room for Mitch.

ARLINGTON, Texas -- The Texas Rangers will call up top pitching prospect Martin Perez and start him Saturday against the St. Louis Cardinals.

The Rangers announced after Thursday's game that right-hander Josh Lindblom, who started Thursday against Oakland, has been optioned to Triple-A Round Rock and first baseman Mitch Moreland will be activated and play Friday

This is what I have been waiting for to hopefully see a more polished M.Perez. Thought Lindblom pitched well today and might stay. Looks like Tep and Grimm will fight it out for the 5th spot once Ogando returns. Should be interesting
After today's win I feel re-invigorated about the team

Last edited by a moderator:

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what I have been waiting for to hopefully see a more polished M.Perez. Thought Lindblom pitched well today and might stay. Looks like Tep and Grimm will fight it out for the 5th spot once Ogando returns. Should be interesting

I really think Perez has got it. He just needs to put it together between the ears.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really think Perez has got it. He just needs to put it together between the ears.

And I don't think he's going to figure it out in AAA, he needs that extra push and needs to realize he's not a strikeout pitcher, he's going to have to live on the corners, like a Greg Maddux and go from there

Once he refines his command in the zone, he's going to be a pretty good pitcher

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
And I don't think he's going to figure it out in AAA, he needs that extra push and needs to realize he's not a strikeout pitcher, he's going to have to live on the corners, like a Greg Maddux and go from there

Once he refines his command in the zone, he's going to be a pretty good pitcher

It's better to realize you aren't a strike out pitcher before you get to the majors than after and then struggle with control and not pitching to contact. It's okay to be another Colby Lewis ... if you keep the ball down. Harrison isn't a strike out pitcher either.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

... or maybe Tepesch, Grimm and Perez "fight it out for the fifth spot ... the next time ... Ogando returns".

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's better to realize you aren't a strike out pitcher before you get to the majors than after and then struggle with control and not pitching to contact. It's okay to be another Colby Lewis ... if you keep the ball down. Harrison isn't a strike out pitcher either.

Well I think he needs to get kicked in the teeth a couple times to realize he's not, and then work on it in the minors

maybe he's made those adjustments, I won't know til I see him pitch, which I haven't in a while

I just know trying to pitch like a strikeout pitcher is what used to get him in trouble sometimes, being too much in the middle of the plate, b/c he thought he could blow people away like he did in AA

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well I think he needs to get kicked in the teeth a couple times to realize he's not, and then work on it in the minors

maybe he's made those adjustments, I won't know til I see him pitch, which I haven't in a while

I just know trying to pitch like a strikeout pitcher is what used to get him in trouble sometimes, being too much in the middle of the plate, b/c he thought he could blow people away like he did in AA

EXACTLY. Which is why for all those with him on their fantasy league rosters need to recognize that Tepesch and Grimm have skins on the wall. Maybe not as many folks are holding Tepesch and Grimm baseball cards as those holding Perez cards ... but that doesn't make Perez a better SP.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
EXACTLY. Which is why for all those with him on their fantasy league rosters need to recognize that Tepesch and Grimm have skins on the wall. Maybe not as many folks are holding Tepesch and Grimm baseball cards as those holding Perez cards ... but that doesn't make Perez a better SP.

Perez will be better IMO long term.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But its not like Perez hasn't been here before, point is, Tepesch and Grimm haven't pitched any better or worse than Perez previously has

Its time to give another young guy a chance and see if he's made the necessary adjustments

Tepesch and Grimm (2 starts last year) are basically in their first go round and are getting their teeth kicked in, maybe they need that same time to go back and adjust to what they've learned in their time at the ML level

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
But its not like Perez hasn't been here before, point is, Tepesch and Grimm haven't pitched any better or worse than Perez previously has

Its time to give another young guy a chance and see if he's made the necessary adjustments

Tepesch and Grimm (2 starts last year) are basically in their first go round and are getting their teeth kicked in, maybe they need that same time to go back and adjust to what they've learned in their time at the ML level

I think you and I agree. Yes, its time to see how Perez is progressing. Might get some more outings this time. And while Tepesch and Grimm may not have pitched any worse than Perez so far ... I think there is clear evidence in the standings that they have pitched better ... so far.

For as long as I have been on this board or the old place I have had little faith in prospect rankings. There are more prospects who have busted than made it. Back in December ... the only name most fans knew of the bunch was Martin Perez ... except those who remembered Grimm's two starts. Pretty much nobody heard of Tepesch other than Frisco regular fans. Lindblom was still on the Philly 40man.

Every outing we hear about how Grimm, Tepesch or Lindblom struggled ... with fantasy roster fueled fans promoting Perez (including Jamey Newberg).

For those who think Grimm, Tepesch and Lindblom have struggled need to go look at Matt Harrison's first year ... and Derek Holland's first (and second and third) year. Their struggles were epic.

TEX is extremely lucky to have three or four 'on the border' ML-ready SPs ... when they only thought they might have one. Kinda nice.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you and I agree. Yes, its time to see how Perez is progressing. Might get some more outings this time. And while Tepesch and Grimm may not have pitched any worse than Perez so far ... I think there is clear evidence in the standings that they have pitched better ... so far.

For as long as I have been on this board or the old place I have had little faith in prospect rankings. There are more prospects who have busted than made it. Back in December ... the only name most fans knew of the bunch was Martin Perez ... except those who remembered Grimm's two starts. Pretty much nobody heard of Tepesch other than Frisco regular fans. Lindblom was still on the Philly 40man.

Every outing we hear about how Grimm, Tepesch or Lindblom struggled ... with fantasy roster fueled fans promoting Perez (including Jamey Newberg).

For those who think Grimm, Tepesch and Lindblom have struggled need to go look at Matt Harrison's first year ... and Derek Holland's first (and second and third) year. Their struggles were epic.

TEX is extremely lucky to have three or four 'on the border' ML-ready SPs ... when they only thought they might have one. Kinda nice.

Don't get me wrong. I think all three of Tepesch, Grimm, and Perez will be solid big league starters. I love Tepesch's sinker when its biting and Grimm's curve is filthy. You bring up a great point about how holland and Harrison broke into the big leagues and I think you'll see these three develop into some very good starting pitchers. That said, I still believe Perez and Tepesch will be the best of the three. For one thing I really like Tepesch's demeanor. Grimm seems like a bit of a mental midget right now.