• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Season Thread - 2013 Edition

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i wouldn't call Price a marginal upgrade irregardless of his present record, but anyone other than him would be a waste

Price is also currently disabled and would be at present no upgrade at all, but I didn't even respond to your post, as bone WAS talking about marginal upgrades that WOULDN'T involve the likes of Profar

Also who's to say that this isn't the start of more health problems for Price due to being used pretty heavily the last few years

This is why trading prospects for starting pitching is always a risky proposition, no matter how solid you think that move might be

All in all, the Rangers have been doing it correctly despite what many people might think, as if we had started trading prospects for every starting pitcher named in the last couple years, or giving up draft picks to sign every free agent, we'd probably have zero depth and struggling to find bodies to plug in

As it is, despite the injuries, we're doing a lot better off than most teams

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
... who's to say that this isn't the start of more health problems for Price due to being used pretty heavily the last few years

This is why trading prospects for starting pitching is always a risky proposition, no matter how solid you think that move might be

All in all, the Rangers have been doing it correctly despite what many people might think, as if we had started trading prospects for every starting pitcher named in the last couple years, or giving up draft picks to sign every free agent, we'd probably have zero depth and struggling to find bodies to plug in

Amen.

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i agree that it is going very well considering........

but the last few weeks it has been catching up to us,we need to get some pitching IMO if harrison doesnt come back......

grimm/tepesch have done well but maybe the team scouts have caught up to them(been getting hit lately)

right now we have holland/darvish and thats it...........i like grimm/tepsch but i dont think i can trust them all year and play-offs.....wouldnt mind being wrong though :D

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Price is also currently disabled and would be at present no upgrade at all, but I didn't even respond to your post, as bone WAS talking about marginal upgrades that WOULDN'T involve the likes of Profar

Also who's to say that this isn't the start of more health problems for Price due to being used pretty heavily the last few years

As it is, despite the injuries, we're doing a lot better off than most teams

and I agree with you that the Rangers have been doing it right, I was just saying that Price when he is healthy and right is the only pitcher I would consider giving up Profar for

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i agree that it is going very well considering........

but the last few weeks it has been catching up to us,we need to get some pitching IMO if harrison doesnt come back......

grimm/tepesch have done well but maybe the team scouts have caught up to them(been getting hit lately)

right now we have holland/darvish and thats it...........i like grimm/tepsch but i dont think i can trust them all year and play-offs.....wouldnt mind being wrong though :D

What I'm saying is that trading for a starter to replace Grimm or Tepesch more than likely is a lateral move at best and isn't necessarily an improvement,

if the price is right than its maybe worth it, think Dempster, he ate some innings and served a purpose and didn't cost much, but thats not usually the case

Tepesch is the better bet going forward, Grimm probably still needs a little maturing at the AAA level, good curveball but still a bit on the wild side

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What I'm saying is that trading for a starter to replace Grimm or Tepesch more than likely is a lateral move at best and isn't necessarily an improvement, e

Agree again. Given what they both have done so far ... not sure what TEX would gain by those who propose an SP acquisition to replace one or the other.

Darvish and Holland have been pitching in the same rotation all season and what marginal advantage in results have they achieved over what Tepesch and Grimm have accomplished in recent weeks?

With the exception of Grimm's 'The Boston Massacre' ... what Tepesche and Grimm most lack is run support. That ain't their problem.

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah...i am not thinking about destroying the farm

like i mentioned (even though philly is hanging around) i wonder what lee would cost....think olt plus a couple of arms

i will have to check out which pitchers contracts will be up and see if the teams will re-sign them

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i guess i am thinking more towards the play-offs and hopefully winning a WS........i just dont think we can get there without a little more help

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

like i mentioned (even though philly is hanging around) i wonder what lee would cost....think olt plus a couple of arms

i will have to check out which pitchers contracts will be up and see if the teams will re-sign them

Gotta think about the cost of Lee in terms of prospects AND locked up payroll, in my mind not even close to worth it in terms of payroll flexibility alone, not to mention the cost of a top albeit struggling prospect like Olt

Not to mention he can block a trade to Texas as well, makes it even more difficult to get a deal done

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There's not much from what I recall, thats why its important to develop your own guys year after year, get maximum value in their early years, and then tie them up for a reasonable amount of time after that

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just a name to think about and i was thinking the phillies would have to eat about 50% of the contract......and i would only do this if harrison isnt going to make it back

i am fine with harry/holland/yu/colby.......

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why..... unless things have changed,last i read colby/harrison where scheduled back a little after the ASB???

i agree about feliz he should just sit out all year.....

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rangers have signed both of their first round picks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
why..... unless things have changed,last i read colby/harrison where scheduled back a little after the ASB???

i agree about feliz he should just sit out all year.....

TEX injury listing on its website is in my opinion either total fabrication or at least highly optimistic reporting ...

Colby -- TEX website: "Possibly June". ESPN today reports he "played catch Monday and said he could throw a bullpen next week."

IMO: When he does eventually get back on a mound in rehab starts needs to get his FB velocity up. Before he was shutdown he was topping out at 87mph. Going to be awhile before he's game ready but no need to rush right now.

Harrison -- TEX website: "Possibly around All-Star break" CBS Sports said today: "Rangers starting pitcher Matt Harrison (back) received a good report from doctors Monday, so he will begin ramping up exercises, according to FOX Sports Southwest. He could progress to playing catch next week".

IMO: If he begins playing catch third week of June ... with no issues he might be a month away at that point going to rehab so that is late July ... and with a month worth of rehab that would be late August. TEX may extend him into Sep before activating him since he's already playoff eligible in order for him to not displace someone on the roster that point who would be post season eligible by being active on 31 August. If his rehab burps at any point TEX may just shut him down rather than risk reinjury.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TEX injury listing on its website is in my opinion either total fabrication or at least highly optimistic reporting ...

Colby -- TEX website: "Possibly June". ESPN today reports he "played catch Monday and said he could throw a bullpen next week."

IMO: When he does eventually get back on a mound in rehab starts needs to get his FB velocity up. Before he was shutdown he was topping out at 87mph. Going to be awhile before he's game ready but no need to rush right now.

Harrison -- TEX website: "Possibly around All-Star break" CBS Sports said today: "Rangers starting pitcher Matt Harrison (back) received a good report from doctors Monday, so he will begin ramping up exercises, according to FOX Sports Southwest. He could progress to playing catch next week".

IMO: If he begins playing catch third week of June ... with no issues he might be a month away at that point going to rehab so that is late July ... and with a month worth of rehab that would be late August. TEX may extend him into Sep before activating him since he's already playoff eligible in order for him to not displace someone on the roster that point who would be post season eligible by being active on 31 August. If his rehab burps at any point TEX may just shut him down rather than risk reinjury.

Sums it up nicely.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
File this one in the "strange but true" section for Rangers fans.

There was a sinking feeling behind the pitcher's mound at Rangers Ballpark.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/lists/Major-League-Baseball-10-best-ballparks From the oldest to the newest, these 10 venues represent baseball's greatest current ballparks.

A busted pipe under the infield at Rangers Ballpark created a sinkhole right behind the mound. On-field batting practice Tuesday for both the Texas Rangers and Cleveland Indians was canceled so the grounds crew could fix the problem.
Workers had to dig more than 3 feet deep to try to fix the pipe under the field that is used to water the infield. One of the workers could only been seen from the waist up after getting down into the hole.
About an hour before the game was scheduled to start, the repair was complete and the grass behind the mound had been put back in place. Workers even used a hose hooked to the repaired pipe to water the infield grass and dirt.

While the Indians entered the game with an eight-game losing streak, and 12 losses in a row on the road, Cleveland manager Terry Francona said there were no Bull Durham-like shenanigans by his team trying to get a day off.
''I didn't do it,'' Francona said with a chuckle about the reference to a scene in the Kevin Costner baseball movie. ''We're not there yet. We're frustrated, but we're not there.''
About three hours before the game, as usual before a home game, Rangers players went on the field for stretching and batting practice. But after stretching in the outfield as normal, they went back inside to take their pregame swings in an indoor cage.
Two weeks ago, a game between Arizona and Texas at Rangers Ballpark was postponed because of unplayable field conditions.
The infield that night was soaked during a severe thunderstorm about an hour before that scheduled start while the grounds crew struggled to get the tarp on the field.

Though the rain stopped shortly after that and more than an hour of work was put into preparing the field, that game was postponed after officials from both teams determined the dirt basepaths were too soft to play the game safely.
Arizona and Texas played the next afternoon, after the grounds crew worked into the wee hours of the night.