• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Season Thread - 2013 Edition

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't get me wrong. I think all three of Tepesch, Grimm, and Perez will be solid big league starters. I love Tepesch's sinker when its biting and Grimm's curve is filthy. You bring up a great point about how holland and Harrison broke into the big leagues and I think you'll see these three develop into some very good starting pitchers. That said, I still believe Perez and Tepesch will be the best of the three. For one thing I really like Tepesch's demeanor. Grimm seems like a bit of a mental midget right now.

Grimm's fastball is just too damn straight, and he lacks command of all his pitches, so he's always going to be prone to "big innings"

At least Tepesch's fastball moves, he lacks command of it at times, but at least it has some natural movement

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grimm's fastball is just too damn straight, and he lacks command of all his pitches, so he's always going to be prone to "big innings"

At least Tepesch's fastball moves, he lacks command of it at times, but at least it has some natural movement

True. I think Grimm is probably going to end up being the odd man out, but he's given us tremendous value for what he is.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
As for who gets the last chair of the musical rotation spot game ... I'm thinking we could be very surprised when it all shakes out. I put more faith in Grimm than some I guess. Maybe I like underdogs.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for who gets the last chair of the musical rotation spot game ... I'm thinking we could be very surprised when it all shakes out. I put more faith in Grimm than some I guess. Maybe I like underdogs.

I like Grimm but I think he needs to work on the mental aspect of his game more, and as jta pointed out his fastball lacks movement.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as for how the musical chairs plays out...my money is Ogando doesn't stay a SP. He just doesn't have the arm strength. He will keep getting injured because he is overthrowing, and he will get dead arm. We saw it his first year as a SP and we have seen it over and over this year. The guy just isn't SP material. He would be good long relief and a killer setup man.

Before I am read the riot act, I know what they said last offseason. Someone making the call will get it through their heads eventually, and we appear to have the young SP arms to replace him if he goes back to the BP. We need righties in the BP anyways.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as for how the musical chairs plays out...my money is Ogando doesn't stay a SP. He just doesn't have the arm strength. He will keep getting injured because he is overthrowing, and he will get dead arm. We saw it his first year as a SP and we have seen it over and over this year. The guy just isn't SP material. He would be good long relief and a killer setup man.

Before I am read the riot act, I know what they said last offseason. Someone making the call will get it through their heads eventually, and we appear to have the young SP arms to replace him if he goes back to the BP. We need righties in the BP anyways.

The only way I see ogando going to the pen is if we acquire another starter by the deadline. If that happens then maybe. That's said, a bullpen that includes ogando, Soria, cotts, Ross, scheppers, and Nathan. All I have to say is.... Daaaaammmmnnn.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Couple of items from today's Scott Lucas report ...

-Joakim Soria retired three straight and fanned one in his first rehab outing for AA Frisco.

-To make room for Lindblom @ Red Rock TEX sold Yoshi Tateyama's contract to NYY for future considerations.

fanman8825

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
TEX injury listing on its website is in my opinion either total fabrication or at least highly optimistic reporting ...

Colby -- TEX website: "Possibly June". ESPN today reports he "played catch Monday and said he could throw a bullpen next week."

IMO: When he does eventually get back on a mound in rehab starts needs to get his FB velocity up. Before he was shutdown he was topping out at 87mph. Going to be awhile before he's game ready but no need to rush right now.

Harrison -- TEX website: "Possibly around All-Star break" CBS Sports said today: "Rangers starting pitcher Matt Harrison (back) received a good report from doctors Monday, so he will begin ramping up exercises, according to FOX Sports Southwest. He could progress to playing catch next week".

IMO: If he begins playing catch third week of June ... with no issues he might be a month away at that point going to rehab so that is late July ... and with a month worth of rehab that would be late August. TEX may extend him into Sep before activating him since he's already playoff eligible in order for him to not displace someone on the roster that point who would be post season eligible by being active on 31 August. If his rehab burps at any point TEX may just shut him down rather than risk reinjury.

Interesting news about Harrison. I will just temper my enthusiasm about a realist return for him. If for some reason the team is not in contention would Tex consider shutting him down?

fanman8825

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Interesting news about Harrison. I will just temper my enthusiasm about a realist return for him. If for some reason the team is not in contention would Tex consider shutting him down?

Meant realistic

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i agree with what fordman said........ogando doesnt seem to have the arm strength for a starter

its not like he was told to stretch out 2 weeks before the season.......

thinking BP if grimm/tepesch/perez can get the job done until colby/harrison come back.....imo

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well its the halfway point and the rangers are looking pretty good (minus that little funk)

48-34.....if we played .500 the rest of the way we are looking at a 88-74 record

:yahoo:.......hope it is a great 2nd half

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well its the halfway point and the rangers are looking pretty good (minus that little funk)

48-34.....if we played .500 the rest of the way we are looking at a 88-74 record

:yahoo:.......hope it is a great 2nd half

and if we play at our current pace......94-68 :D

I said from the start I thought this was a 92-95 win team. I still think so. They should have some good stretches as their schedule gets more favorable in the second half and Oakland isn't finally playing the Astros and white sox every other week.

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said from the start I thought this was a 92-95 win team. I still think so. They should have some good stretches as their schedule gets more favorable in the second half and Oakland isn't finally playing the Astros and white sox every other week.

i still think if we can get everyone clicking at the same time and when a couple of the arms get back we got a shot at 100 wins

just need a little run that we usually go on....(might be going on now 10-3 the last 13 i believe)

schedule does get a little easier.....august looks very winnable(sea x2,hou x2,oak,angels,brewers,chisox,twins)

Last edited by a moderator:

skilledwolf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I've been looking at OFs that I would consider trading for. The best player I considered was Carlos Gomez, although I also considered Hunter Pence, Lucas Duda, Marlon Byrd, and (surprisingly) Chris Carter. What do you guys think those teams would want for those guys and should we be willing to give up for them?

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I've been looking at OFs that I would consider trading for. The best player I considered was Carlos Gomez, although I also considered Hunter Pence, Lucas Duda, Marlon Byrd, and (surprisingly) Chris Carter. What do you guys think those teams would want for those guys and should we be willing to give up for them?

Milwaukee will want way too much for Carlos Gomez, Lucas "Dud"a... no, Hunter Pence is overrated and expensive, Marlon Byrd is still alive and people still want him back? Chris Carter is Adam Dunn 2.0 lots of Ks and no average

I would hope JD has no legitimate interest in any of these guys, except maybe Carlos Gomez but I doubt the improvement is worth the price to be paid... he just seems to be a sell high candidate and Milwaukee is going to fleece whoever they trade him to

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm more interested in Nate Schierholtz and Michael cuddyer.