• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Season Thread - 2013 Edition

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
boy they really stunk it up against another junkball pitcher today

Skaggs isn't a junk baller. He's got really good stuff. Cruz sucks though. He needs to ride some pine.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Perez was able to tough through a rough start and eat up a few innings for the bullpen

slugger82685

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Perez was able to tough through a rough start and eat up a few innings for the bullpen

5 1/3 innings is not real good. Giving up 9 hits, 3 ER, 2 BB, and only 2 K's in that span is not real encouraging either. Our starters need to get 6-7 innings or else our bullpen is going to start to be over worked. I cant see Perez sticking in the rotation either. He might be someone that is being put on display for a trade either at the deadline or in the offseason. He got sent back down, but I imagine he will be getting more spot starts down the road. His K/9 ratio has just plummeted since 2010 while his BB/9 has remained steady at around 3.5. I just dont see him figuring it out with us, he looks like he wants to just throw the ball past everyone instead of being a pitcher and going up and down while using the corners. So I am just not sold on him and it would be nice to include him as a focal point in a big trade.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5 1/3 innings is not real good. Giving up 9 hits, 3 ER, 2 BB, and only 2 K's in that span is not real encouraging either. Our starters need to get 6-7 innings or else our bullpen is going to start to be over worked. I cant see Perez sticking in the rotation either. He might be someone that is being put on display for a trade either at the deadline or in the offseason. He got sent back down, but I imagine he will be getting more spot starts down the road. His K/9 ratio has just plummeted since 2010 while his BB/9 has remained steady at around 3.5. I just dont see him figuring it out with us, he looks like he wants to just throw the ball past everyone instead of being a pitcher and going up and down while using the corners. So I am just not sold on him and it would be nice to include him as a focal point in a big trade.

I was saying based on the way he started out, the damage came in the first couple innings

At this point his value is so low to other teams is he's not going to be the focal point of any trade, that time has long since passed

I'm not saying don't trade him, but he's a secondary piece not a main piece anymore

fanman8825

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I was saying based on the way he started out, the damage came in the first couple innings

At this point his value is so low to other teams is he's not going to be the focal point of any trade, that time has long since passed

I'm not saying don't trade him, but he's a secondary piece not a main piece anymore

Agreed. I thought at one time Perez could be a legit number 2 or a 3 but I am just not seeing it . With the emergence of Tep and Grimm you have to wonder if Perez might be part of a deal down the road.
Still like the fact that he is only 22 and a lefty which could intrigue some teams but there is no room for him here with Ogando and Colby coming back.

Last edited by a moderator:

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Agreed. I thought at one time Perez could be a legit number 2 or a 3 but I am just not seeing it . With the emergence of Tep and Grimm you have to wonder if Perez might be part of a deal down the road.
Still like the fact that he is only 22 and a lefty which could intrigue some teams but there is no room for him here with Ogando and Colby coming back.

What makes you think Colby is soon to be coming back sporting an 87MPH fastball?

Couple of things got sorted out over the weekend ...

Tepesch' and Grimm's rotation spots are both secure until Ogando returns. Perez start yesterday did not complicate the decision process of who is is in the 26th roster spot.

TEX is now safe to DFA Kirkman with a good chance he will clear waivers in order to be sent back to AAA and open up a 40man roster spot. Allows them to move Wolf to the long/swing role.

fanman8825

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
What makes you think Colby is soon to be coming back sporting an 87MPH fastball?

Tepesch' and Grimm's rotation spots are both secure until Ogando returns. Perez start yesterday did not complicate the decision process of who is is in the 26th roster spot.

TEX is now safe to DFA Kirkman with a good chance he will clear waivers in order to be sent back to AAA and open up a 40man roster spot. Allows them to move Wolf to the long/swing role.

Hey WMW good to hear from you. I think Colby will come around in a couple of weeks. I did see where he struggled other night but he was a little better than his previous start. Will be anxious to see where he at on his third start.
So let me ask you when Ogando comes back who stays in the rotation Grimm or Tepesch? I am starting to lean toward Grimm but its still too close to call

fanman8825

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Just did another nose count. When Ogando is ready to return rather than a demotion for Tepsech or Grimm I think more likely will be Kirkman being DFA'd and Wolf moving over the the long/swing role.

That works for me. I am trying to work out a mini vacation to Myrtle Beach. Would like to go see a couple of their games. Are you planning on going up there this summer?

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate to say it, but I guess Skaggs is a scrub. We don't struggle against the top tier guys (King a few times,Weaver, Verlander) but make scrubs look like aces.

So that means Skaggs is a scrub, sorry AZ :pound:

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That works for me. I am trying to work out a mini vacation to Myrtle Beach. Would like to go see a couple of their games. Are you planning on going up there this summer?

Am still hoping to make it to Hickory (via layover at CLT) early in June if flight and game schedules work out. HIK can be so hot or cold so Myrtle Beach might prove to be the more interesting visit.

And then of course in the case of Myrtle Beach there is of course the golf. My last time there played 8 rounds in 7 days.

fanman8825

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Am still hoping to make it to Hickory (via layover at CLT) early in June if flight and game schedules work out. HIK can be so hot or cold so Myrtle Beach might prove to be the more interesting visit.

And then of course in the case of Myrtle Beach there is of course the golf. My last time there played 8 rounds in 7 days.

Speaking of Hickory, I have noticed that J.Gallo while hitting 13 HR's is only batting 215 with 76 SO in 177 AB's. Thats way too many whiffs. Hopefully Joey can get this worked out and get more contact on the ball. Was hoping he would start at Frisco next year with L.Brinson and N.Williams but they may not even get to Myrtle beach this year.
I know its been well documented about all K's the hitters have at Hickory, but its not just 1 or 2 guys its more like 5 or 6

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why Gallo's comp is Adam Dunn. Lots of holes in his swing.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Speaking of Hickory, I have noticed that J.Gallo while hitting 13 HR's is only batting 215 with 76 SO in 177 AB's. Thats way too many whiffs. Hopefully Joey can get this worked out and get more contact on the ball. Was hoping he would start at Frisco next year with L.Brinson and N.Williams but they may not even get to Myrtle beach this year.
I know its been well documented about all K's the hitters have at Hickory, but its not just 1 or 2 guys its more like 5 or 6

Although sitting in second place in the SAL North ... K's are a problem and not just Gallo (76) ... Brinson (83), Akins (60) ...

Hickory Indiv Stats: Hickory Crawdads 2013 Individual Stats | Hickory Crawdads Stats

South Atlantic League Team Stats: South Atlantic League 2013 Team Batting | Hickory Crawdads Stats

#14. Hickory 540Ks on 1649ABs ... (32.7%)
#13. Greenville 458Ks on 1662ABs ... (27.6%)
#10. Ashville 411Ks on 1704ABs ... (24.1%)

Last (#14) w/150BB ... #13 w/390Hits ... #5 w/247Runs. Left side of the HIK infield is not the reincarnate of Andrus-Beltre ... Marte has 19Es and Gallo has 11Es.

Going into the year I wondered how the Myrtle Beach group felt about all the offensive talent sitting right behind them at Hickory. Couple of the guys might straighten themselves out between now and end of July but its not like there is a veteran presence down there to set an example.

From reading Scott Lucas daily farm reports my sense is that they are having altogether too much fun at Hickory and spending little if any time on the basics of playing sound baseball.

It is a long step up from A to High A ... and a huge giant step up to AA. I too thought we might see Gallo jump to Myrtle Beach half way through the season and then play winter ball ... and potentially arriving at Frisco coming out of 2014 camp. I bet that isn't the timetable TEX expects for Gallo given the first two months at Hickory. Lots of raw talent w/Gallo, Brinson and a few others ... but a long way from being ready for AA let alone higher.

And then there is the thing that there aren't many 6'5" 3bmen around ... so at some point he's going to become a 1bman (or COF) ... and that takes time too ... but ought to cut down on his errors.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last report I read on Colby was that 87mph was one of his better fastballs and that the mid 80's was where he was most of the time.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Last report I read on Colby was that 87mph was one of his better fastballs and that the mid 80's was where he was most of the time.

It doesn't look at all promising. Focus has been on him getting his fastball back ... so his 2.3WHIP at Round Rock may be a byproduct ... but mid 80s fastball that tops out at 87mph will likely get him killed when he gets to RBIA.

Near term ... (not living in the Metroplex) ... does TEX activate Ogando without a rehab start to pitch Sunday ... or Wolf? Activating Perez to make the start will require a DL move to get around the 10day rule.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
And now with Kinsler at least two more weeks from returning ... the question of Profar v Garcia seems to be the media's only interest.

The BIGGER problem is the black hole in the #2 spot.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And now with Kinsler at least two more weeks from returning ... the question of Profar v Garcia seems to be the media's only interest.

The BIGGER problem is the black hole in the #2 spot.

Ian out 2 more weeks. Link?