• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Season Thread - 2013 Edition

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that was a good trade. Traded a guy who's become one of the top sluggers in the league for a guy who at his best was our 4th or 5th best reliever, and at his worst was total garbage. Hindsight is 20/20 but I know a lot of us had a feeling that Davis was going to be successful in Baltimore.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that was a good trade. Traded a guy who's become one of the top sluggers in the league for a guy who at his best was our 4th or 5th best reliever, and at his worst was total garbage. Hindsight is 20/20 but I know a lot of us had a feeling that Davis was going to be successful in Baltimore.

That was the feeling by very few people when that trade was made, Davis was a total mess when he was traded

And Uehara was far better than our 4th or 5th best reliever at his best

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I like CD too but what he or TH might become for BAL is irrelevant since the purpose of the trade was to improve TEX chances of getting to the 2011 WS. Neither CD or TH were going to contribute to that goal. Acquiring Koji would.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like CD too but what he or TH might become for BAL is irrelevant since the purpose of the trade was to improve TEX chances of getting to the 2011 WS. Neither CD or TH were going to contribute to that goal. Acquiring Koji would.

He could have. Mitch sure didn't do much in the playoffs.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Davis became painful to watch while he was here. The guy looked like he would whiff if he was hitting off a tee. I think everybody hoped Davis was going to be successful in Baltimore, but to say that a lot us had a feeling he would do well in Baltimore is rewriting baseball history.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He could have. Mitch sure didn't do much in the playoffs.

He could have? You mean he would have picked that exact moment when for 2011 in 76ABs he had 76ABs for TEX with 24Ks albeit tearing up the PCL for the third time ... and being two times removed from being the TEX starting 1bman to all of a sudden get the picture in the heat of a pennant race?

He could have? Not likely. TEX no longer needed him. They needed a roster that improved its chances of returning to the playoffs. Fact that they got Koji for him is better than what would have happened had they brought him back for 2012 without options.

robhea67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
it was not a bad trade. and for all we know cd could go back to his old ways but i doubt it.he was awful towards the end here. great guy and player but would still make the trade

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Davis became painful to watch while he was here. The guy looked like he would whiff if he was hitting off a tee. I think everybody hoped Davis was going to be successful in Baltimore, but to say that a lot us had a feeling he would do well in Baltimore is rewriting baseball history.

You've seen my golf swing.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Remember, Davis had done nothing here. He had a good call up his first month. Then hit the skids and was on pace to set strikeout records. He had plenty of chances here and couldn't figure it out. Same story for a year and a half in Balt. This year he finally did it. Had we not traded him, he wouldn't be with the team today. He would have been dumped at some point.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another thing I heard from a co-worker (disclaimer: the worker is from Canada, not a big baseball fan, but knew enough I guess) that Texas would be better off if we had re-signed CJ.

I had no comeback. I was so floored by that comment out of left field that all of my "you're out of your &^%$#@! mind" comments jammed the door from my brain as they all tried to escape at once. After I thought about it, it is still a terrible comment.

But am I the only one thinking that? Please tell me I'm not letting my dislike for the club douche cloud my judgement. He isn't tearing it up in LAA. The money spent on him might have cost us something over the last year. And, I'm glad we are getting to see what Tep and Grimm have...and thrilled with the results.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember, Davis had done nothing here. He had a good call up his first month. Then hit the skids and was on pace to set strikeout records. He had plenty of chances here and couldn't figure it out. Same story for a year and a half in Balt. This year he finally did it. Had we not traded him, he wouldn't be with the team today. He would have been dumped at some point.

Davis was pretty solid last year, but not great (showed some power and lots of K's), which is pretty much what everyone here thought he was, which given his struggles wasn't worth waiting around on and Moreland had looked pretty solid in his time here and the decision was made to move Davis and give Moreland a shot

And I think last year's version is much closer to who he actually is than this year's version

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another thing I heard from a co-worker (disclaimer: the worker is from Canada, not a big baseball fan, but knew enough I guess) that Texas would be better off if we had re-signed CJ.

I had no comeback. I was so floored by that comment out of left field that all of my "you're out of your &^%$#@! mind" comments jammed the door from my brain as they all tried to escape at once. After I thought about it, it is still a terrible comment.

But am I the only one thinking that? Please tell me I'm not letting my dislike for the club douche cloud my judgement. He isn't tearing it up in LAA. The money spent on him might have cost us something over the last year. And, I'm glad we are getting to see what Tep and Grimm have...and thrilled with the results.

Letting CJ and Hamilton walk were good moves. The best thing CJ has done is Head and Shoulders commercials and Hamilton hasn't hit much in the last year. Trading MY was another good move.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The A's are hotter than a $5 pistol at a bank hold up and have cut the Rangers lead to 1.5 games.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Letting CJ and Hamilton walk were good moves. The best thing CJ has done is Head and Shoulders commercials and Hamilton hasn't hit much in the last year. Trading MY was another good move.

What sets TEX management apart from others is their ability to cut ties when the future projections aren't there as well as to pursue beyond expectations on acquisitions. Too often management in every business holds onto talent, products or business decisions which fail going forward. Or taking new directions, resources and assets quickly and with agility.

Harvard Business Review might find TEX an interesting subject in a case review on its decisions it has made on CJ, Hamilton, Napoli, MY as well as Darvish, Beltre and Andrus extension.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What sets TEX management apart from others is their ability to cut ties when the future projections aren't there as well as to pursue beyond expectations on acquisitions. Too often management in every business holds onto talent, products or business decisions which fail going forward. Or taking new directions, resources and assets quickly and with agility.

In other words, the exact opposite of how Jerry Jones runs the Cowboys.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In other words, the exact opposite of how Jerry Jones runs the Cowboys.

:nod: