• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OFFICIAL OFF SEASON THREAD ( 2017 )

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I'm not. You're just assuming that I'm assigning the same value to each of those Hamels trade pieces as you are.

my guess is it'll take at least 3 prospects and a 4th piece of some sort to land Sale.
Then why didn't you say that to begin with in post 738? You completely left out that you disagreed with my assigment of value. My response would have been completely different.

How would you assign value differently?

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How would you assign value differently?

Well, obviously my opinion is fuzzy due to A) Not being very keen on the rating of prospects overall B) the passage of time since the trade and C) the influence of post-trade performances, but I'm going to say that it would have taken some combination of 4 players to land Hamels alone. And that's my guess for Sale.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, obviously my opinion is fuzzy due to A) Not being very keen on the rating of prospects overall B) the passage of time since the trade and C) the influence of post-trade performances, but I'm going to say that it would have taken some combination of 4 players to land Hamels alone. And that's my guess for Sale.
Well if we are going to ignore the value of players then let's trade prospects Robinson, Alberto, Ledbetter and Slack for Sale. lol

My whole theory is that Odor is worth several of those guys we gave up for Hamels because he is an established player and a significant part of what we gave up in that Hamels trade was due to us getting Diekman and us getting rid of Harrison's contract.

True Rangers Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My whole theory is that Odor is worth several of those gus we gave up for Hamels because he is an established player and a significant part of what we gave up in that Hamels trade was due to us getting Diekman and us getting rid of Harrison's contract.

I'm fully aware of what you're saying about Odor. I'm also fully prepared for some team out there to make an offer of an Odor type + 2, maybe 3 players. Which means if the Rangers want sale, they'll have to offer Odor + 2, maybe 3 better players. Or more players.

It'd be great if the Rangers could say to the White Sox "hey, we got Hamels for this value, and Odor is equal to that now, and Sale is equal to Hamels, so give us Sale for Odor now." It'd also be great if I was married to Anna Kendrick.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm fully aware of what you're saying about Odor. I'm also fully prepared for some team out there to make an offer of an Odor type + 2, maybe 3 players. Which means if the Rangers want sale, they'll have to offer Odor + 2, maybe 3 better players. Or more players.

It'd be great if the Rangers could say to the White Sox "hey, we got Hamels for this value, and Odor is equal to that now, and Sale is equal to Hamels, so give us Sale for Odor now." It'd also be great if I was married to Anna Kendrick.
You are all over the map on this. You go back and forth between saying Sale will cost the same amount in value as Hamels and saying he will cost a lot more than we gave up for Hamels. Either way of thinking is fine, but you should at least stick with one opinion as it makes for a lot more understandable conversation.

I can just as easily say we should go to the White Sox and tell them, "hey we know Sale is worth 4 prospects so take Robinson, Alberto, Ledbetter and Slack from us for him and like it."

They will not get an established player like Odor plus multiple prospects unless the prospects are of the ilk I mentioned above in my humorous trade proposal. In that case the prospects would be much lesser prospects than what we gave up for Hamels of Lucroy.

You cannot just say they will get so many players without some mention about what the value is for those players. No matter how easy it makes it to make your point 3 players do not necessarily equal 3 other players. You have to be able to establish something to show their value. That is why I choose the Hamels trade. If that doesn't suit you then feel free to present some other way to establish their value. Something has to be used in order to be able to have a conversation though.

Last edited:

True Rangers Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are all over the map on this.

Obviously I have no clue what it will take to land Sale. I don't have the time or interest to attach a value to prospects. When I say "4-for-1", that's about as far as I take it, and I've clearly said that's what Hamels alone would have been, and I predict that's what Sale would be.

I know one thing: it's pretty damn foolish to think Rougned Odor alone will get it done.

EDIT: I'll add this - it would not surprise me in the least if the White Sox ended up with a higher-ranked group of prospects for Sale (from some team) than the Phillies got from the Rangers. I don't KNOW if that's what it will take, but I can see it happening.

Last edited:

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously I have no clue what it will take to land Sale. I don't have the time or interest to attach a value to prospects. When I say "4-for-1", that's about as far as I take it, and I've clearly said that's what Hamels alone would have been, and I predict that's what Sale would be.

I know one thing: it's pretty damn foolish to think Rougned Odor alone will get it done.

EDIT: I'll add this - it would not surprise me in the least if the White Sox ended up with a higher-ranked group of prospects for Sale (from some team) than the Phillies got from the Rangers. I don't KNOW if that's what it will take, but I can see it happening.
I merely opened it up for discussion. Not saying it would get it done. I just wanted to know if others thought it would take more for Sale than it did for Hamels. It is apparent now that you think it would. Had you simply said that to begin with it would have saved a lot of effort.

It doesn't have to be about what is foolish.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Despite extreme torque of Sale

Sale>Hamels.

Odor I think is valued quite a bit and may be equal to Alfaro and Asher combined

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hamels is a proven post season performer. But Dutch had his moment too

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Angels really should move him and rebuild, otherwise they don't stand much chance of competing for many years to come

Well they don't seem to know how to acquire players via draft at least recently haha

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Boston Red Sox may not be the only team in the hunt for free agent Carlos Beltran.

rumorcentral_16x9_203x114.png
The Red Sox already have been linked to the 39-year-old outfielder/designated hitter as they begin looking for a replacement for David Ortizthis offseason. "They want him badly," a major league source recently told ESPN.com's Scott Lauber.

Rob Bradford of WEEI.com now reports four teams have currently shown the most interest, with the Toronto Blue Jays, New York Yankees and Houston Astros joining the Red Sox in pursuit. Bradford adds that the Texas Rangers, once thought to be interested in retaining Beltran, “are not involved at this point.”

Beltran’s final destination might boil down to which club offers more than a one-year deal. Beltran wasn't subjected to a qualifying offer by virtue of getting traded during the season, so the team that signs him won't have to surrender a first-round pick.

The Blue Jays’ level of interest could be tempered by the recent signing of Kendrys Morales, who will likely be slated for a good portion of the DH at-bats.