• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OFFICIAL OFF SEASON THREAD ( 2017 )

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SURPRISE, Ariz. -- This ranks as the most significant development so far this spring for the Rangers.

When right-hander Yu Darvish warms up for an inning, he does not experience the same disconcerting sensation in his elbow that he did last year in his return from Tommy John surgery. That indicates that Darvish can pitch with peace of mind, that the elbow will not give way again.

It happened again Tuesday, when Darvish threw 59 pitches in three-plus innings during a 3-2 loss to Colorado. That made it a good day for Darvish.

"In between innings in the games last year, there was a strange feeling when I started throwing," said Darvish, speaking through an interpreter. "This year, I don't have that kind of feeling whatsoever. I think that's a positive."

The Rangers had hoped to get four innings from Darvish on Tuesday, but his high pitch count eliminated that possibility.

Darvish averaged a career-low 15.7 pitches per inning last season. He kiddingly said that this year's goal is "7.8" before getting serious.

"I'm just trying to get less pitches per inning," Darvish said. "I'm going to work on it."

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like to hear that from Yu.

This one line........"I'm just trying to get less pitches per inning," Darvish said. "I'm going to work on it." Is almost uplifting all by itself.

His pitches per have worried me almost from the day he showed up. So this is really great news to hear him say this.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This one line........"I'm just trying to get less pitches per inning," Darvish said. "I'm going to work on it." Is almost uplifting all by itself.

His pitches per have worried me almost from the day he showed up. So this is really great news to hear him say this.

He should tell this to Gallardo.........wait Yovani is a Mariner now, no he shouldn't! :D

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Probably the only knock I've ever had against him... I attribute it to him wanting the strikeout rather than the out. But we are definitely seeing a more mature and comfortable Darvish these days.

Off day for the team today. Bummer.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably the only knock I've ever had against him... I attribute it to him wanting the strikeout rather than the out. But we are definitely seeing a more mature and comfortable Darvish these days.

That and his injuries for me. But I agree with you 100% about him maturing/growing.

I asked the other day, do you know how many times he's been on the DL? Seems like I read 8.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers banking on Chi Chi Gonzalez's future

First of all, Gonzalez's next outing is Thursday against Team Venezuela and a lineup that could include Miguel Cabrera, Jose Altuve, Salvador Perez and Odubel Herrera. He's also trying to win a spot in the Rangers' rotation.
Finally, Gonzalez is also trying to help show Texas can draft, develop, promote and finish off young pitching from its own system. That may be the most daunting challenge of all.

It could also be the most important story of Spring Training and 2017 for an organization with the avowed goal of developing starting pitching from within.

"I'm going to keep attacking the strike zone," Gonzalez said. "Keep doing the same thing, fill up the zone and get them in a swing mode."

A day of reckoning awaits the Rangers. Their top six starting pitchers in camp are eligible for free agency within the next two years.

Yu Darvish, Andrew Cashner and Tyson Rosscan all be free agents after this season. Cole Hamels, Martin Perez and A.J. Griffin are eligible after the 2018 season. Texas does have an option for Hamels in '19 and Perez for the next three seasons.

Still, the Rangers need to either start developing their own starting pitching or be prepared to spend an inordinate amount of money to fill the rotation. That's why Gonzalez, Nick Martinez,Yohander Mendez and Ariel Jurado are crucial to the club's immediate future.

"They told me I have a chance to compete for the fifth spot in the rotation," Gonzalez said. "I'm going to make that decision as tough as I can for whoever they chose."

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gonzalez is off to a strong start this spring, allowing one run in five innings in his first two outings. He has struck out five without a walk, which is significant considering he has walked 41 and struck out 37 in 77 1/3 Major League innings. Gonzalez is throwing his sinker for strikes and mixing in both the curve and changeup.

The bid for the fifth-starter spot may be irrelevant. Whether in the big leagues or Triple-A, Gonzalez needs to re-establish himself as a relative part of Texas' immediate future.

The Rangers' day of reckoning is approaching.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was interesting listening to JD talk on the radio just now about Profar playing CF in the WBC. He seemed interested in seeing how that works out and talked as if Profar could play some CF here if he does take to it.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was interesting listening to JD talk on the radio just now about Profar playing CF in the WBC. He seemed interested in seeing how that works out and talked as if Profar could play some CF here if he does take to it.

Tepid brought this idea up last season....fwiw.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Were the Rangers going to carry 3 catchers?
I doubt it, but should one go down Nicholas was probably going to be the first one called up.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Put Cashner on the 60 day and bring back Colby. That will probably be an upgrade anyway.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Either a premature lineup or an amazing recovery for Nicholas.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would like to see a strong showing from Chi Chi today... need him to be consistent and solid.