• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Mariners arm-chair GM offseason thread 2018-2019

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wonder what the "King's Court" will look like this season during the times when Felix takes the hill. The dude is just embarrassing - how sad for a guy who peaked a few years ago. :L

They should rename it Peasant Lane.

I honestly hope they scratch it. Could be demoralizing to him and a bit of a slap in the face, but at this point it's kind of cringeworthy having an entire section dedicated to someone who is now arguably the worst player on the team.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will defend felix and say that we owe it to him to give him a slot in the back end of the rotation because this is a throw away season anyway. He has given us monster seasons and we couldnt do anything to surround him and get him to the playoffs. He literally could have just left the team via free agency and still get a monster contract with another team but decided to stay. He could have gone to the yankees, red sox or dodgers they would have easily paid him what he was looking for but as a mariner fan when he retires he should be on the mount rushmore of mariner players in history

I don't think we owe anything to a player who has actively refused to make adjustments and lacks the self awareness enough to realize his career is done if he doesn't. Sure there is no reason not to put him out there since we're not competing, but I do think it sends a bad message to the players that name recognition and contract status dictate who is out there playing. There needs to be a mindset of competition and that the best players play, similar to what Pete Carroll does with the Seahawks.

I do agree that he does deserve all the accolades as he was a legend with us for years in addition to the other things you mentioned. But as of right now he has shown he has nothing left.

He will get his recognition when he's in the Mariners Hall of Fame and has his number retired.

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should rename it Peasant Lane.

I honestly hope they scratch it. Could be demoralizing to him and a bit of a slap in the face, but at this point it's kind of cringeworthy having an entire section dedicated to someone who is now arguably the worst player on the team.

King's Court :scratch:- AKA: "Memory Lane South" :thumb:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Felix was ok...i could see he was pitching up in the zone..that is a diff..felix
Shead long was good...and bad with an E
In that game

In today's game long was good again
Sheffield was better than i thought he would be...so good for him..and mariners

Time will tell..we get to be along for the ride

Last edited:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade rumars
Frank barreto..ss/2b..oakland
.headed to AAA for 3rd strait year...sounds
Like they want to trade him..in his last year
Of minors

Was one of there top prospects

He only has 144 at bats in majors in 2 years

Last edited:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But his (barretos)strike out rate went from 27pct..fairly consistant with years before that
In 2017 to
44pct in 18
Something wrong with that

Last edited:

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think we owe anything to a player who has actively refused to make adjustments and lacks the self awareness enough to realize his career is done if he doesn't. Sure there is no reason not to put him out there since we're not competing, but I do think it sends a bad message to the players that name recognition and contract status dictate who is out there playing. There needs to be a mindset of competition and that the best players play, similar to what Pete Carroll does with the Seahawks.

I do agree that he does deserve all the accolades as he was a legend with us for years in addition to the other things you mentioned. But as of right now he has shown he has nothing left.

He will get his recognition when he's in the Mariners Hall of Fame and has his number retired.

Well by no means did I want to keep felix in the rotation and have him suck if there are pitching prospects that the organization feels are ready to play. If Justus Sheffiald or Erik Swanson or whatever prospect is ready to go then give him felix's spot on the rotation. But where its apples to oranges to football you can build a solid scheme and a young player can flourish on defense with solid help. The gap between the professional level of baseball and the minor leagues or college baseball is so huge and baseball prospects are so fragile. As of right now none of the pitching prospects we have acquired should be ahead of felix I think they should all start in AAA for a month or two. If they look great and their confidence is high they can make their major league debut. I feel like in baseball you really have to on your game when you are on the mound or at the batters box unlike football where you have other players making up for your inexperience there is nobody helping you hit and pitch. You can argue that the ball park helps or your catcher calling games or your defense turning double plays but we have seen from Dustin Ackley if you rush a player to the majors and put pressure on him can kill a career

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok well to sum it up because I drifted off course with that response I think the mentality should be just because the player starting sucks doesnt mean we should throw in a prospect to see how he does. It should be wait until the prospect is ready and take out the player that sucks and see how the prospect does.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think any team that can't afford to be top 5 or so in payroll should commit that much each year to one player personally.

Without question and why the Padres spending spree these past two years in confusing. They have the number 1 farm system (or at least did) but it has always been an organization to my recollection that has been cheap, not A’s cheap but cheap nonetheless.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is
felixes last year..for mariners
And
Sheffield and Swanson are waiting
At the lateist will get oppertunity
After July
..prob
They won't keep Felix in the rotation if he can't do it
They won't let him go 3 -10 for example

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harper
Giants west coast
Philis east coast

Get it over..but he has to live with it for 10
Years
Where he wants to play would be the more
Important thing to me
Cuz they all are offering the money..more or less
30 mil a year..you can make even more off
Investments

Time to go to spring training somewhere

Last edited:

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In his first spring training start, Felix Hernandez gave us a preview of what to expect in 2019:

1.1 IP, 4 H, 3 ER.

My expectations for him are zero. I get they are stuck with the money this year but my hope is they dont make the situation more embarrassing then it already has become

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My expectations for him are zero. I get they are stuck with the money this year but my hope is they dont make the situation more embarrassing then it already has become

I agree.

Part of me hopes he has some sort of phantom injury so he doesn't have to go out there and continue to embarrass himself. He will go down as one of my favorite Mariners, but it's really sad to see him play in his current state.

I remember I used to prioritize watching his starts and attending games where he was the starter (Friend of mine works for the Mariners and gets me club level tickets super cheap so the past 4 or so years I've probably averaged 15-20 games per year). Now it's quite the opposite. It's sad to watch him struggle for me.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without question and why the Padres spending spree these past two years in confusing. They have the number 1 farm system (or at least did) but it has always been an organization to my recollection that has been cheap, not A’s cheap but cheap nonetheless.

Pure speculation:

With the Chargers leaving San Diego, the Padres become the cities' only major league franchise across the more popular sports. With an amazing stadium and a lack of competition, the ownership may expect that there could be an uptick in revenue and they're willing to spend to build a playoff team.

I think the value of major league teams appreciate something around 7% per year and their past habit of being relatively frugal, perhaps they're able to justify such an expense.

They could have determined that spending big to build a playoff contender will have a strong ROI and will be financially justified.

That or they actually do care about winning.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well by no means did I want to keep felix in the rotation and have him suck if there are pitching prospects that the organization feels are ready to play. If Justus Sheffiald or Erik Swanson or whatever prospect is ready to go then give him felix's spot on the rotation. But where its apples to oranges to football you can build a solid scheme and a young player can flourish on defense with solid help. The gap between the professional level of baseball and the minor leagues or college baseball is so huge and baseball prospects are so fragile. As of right now none of the pitching prospects we have acquired should be ahead of felix I think they should all start in AAA for a month or two. If they look great and their confidence is high they can make their major league debut. I feel like in baseball you really have to on your game when you are on the mound or at the batters box unlike football where you have other players making up for your inexperience there is nobody helping you hit and pitch. You can argue that the ball park helps or your catcher calling games or your defense turning double plays but we have seen from Dustin Ackley if you rush a player to the majors and put pressure on him can kill a career

Fair response.

When I made the comparison to football, I'm aware that it is apples and oranges. The comparison was mostly based on the philosophical belief that competition in all sports should be emphasized. I believe it elevates performance.

I just don't think it's a strong argument that we should put Felix on the mound because we all love him and he picked us over teams like the Red Sox or Yankees. If it's determined that the younger guys need more seasoning in AAA; so be it. Felix can be a place holder. I'm just saying that the opportunity should be there and he shouldn't just be penciled into the rotation because of his past accomplishments and our appreciation for everything he has done for us.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pure speculation:

With the Chargers leaving San Diego, the Padres become the cities' only major league franchise across the more popular sports. With an amazing stadium and a lack of competition, the ownership may expect that there could be an uptick in revenue and they're willing to spend to build a playoff team.

I think the value of major league teams appreciate something around 7% per year and their past habit of being relatively frugal, perhaps they're able to justify such an expense.

They could have determined that spending big to build a playoff contender will have a strong ROI and will be financially justified.

That or they actually do care about winning.

Totally makes sense, it’s just odd. I get being the only game in town but it just seems ballsy to increase your budget however much percentage wise in just two offseasons. But I don’t follow Padres baseball nor do I truly care to look it up if they are on the verge of an Astros type run where they have a boatload of young players that they don’t have to pay for for awhile.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
52846284_2381688981876060_5058810419091603456_n.png

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1