• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Mariners arm-chair GM offseason thread 2018-2019

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When San Diego s pitching started to come
They got hosmer...now machado
They have LPHers
They need some RHPers
They already have good outfield
And can start on there bull pen now

Right; right
They a bit cheap....lolol

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally makes sense, it’s just odd. I get being the only game in town but it just seems ballsy to increase your budget however much percentage wise in just two offseasons. But I don’t follow Padres baseball nor do I truly care to look it up if they are on the verge of an Astros type run where they have a boatload of young players that they don’t have to pay for for awhile.

I'm the same regarding my following of the Padres baseball team which is why I was merely trying to speculate. I also don't really keep up with the NL at all. They could see Machado as a cornerstone to what they could be on the cusp of with all of their minor league talent.

It's also quite seldom that a player of Machado's caliber hits the open market at such a young age. Since his contract will expire when he's 36, they likely won't have to worry about carrying the dead money when he's 37-40.

It's an interesting move that only makes sense if they commit to spending more on payroll. Eventually they will need to make other acquisitions/re-sign key players and they can't just be content dedicating a huge portion of their payroll to one player.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
52846284_2381688981876060_5058810419091603456_n.png

It's funny because when I mention that I'm a big Mariners fan or tell someone I'm checking my phone for the box score on the game, most people ask me why I care about the Mariners because "they suck"

When I was in Kosovo, I was speaking with a Seattle-native and he had that exact response.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Figured I'd post this here since it's probably too soon to post a regular season thread yet:

Mariners bring back the Ballpark Pass, but miss the mark

Pretty disappointed by this. I think this article does a pretty good job ripping the idea apart.

A summary would be: Last year the Mariners offered a $99 game pass for the month of July in which seats were allocated before the game and you were able to attend all the home games. Difference this year is that it is standing room only. Translation: You stand around in the Pen the entire game and don't really see much of the game and have to wait 30 minutes to get a fucking beer.

There are plenty of games during the season in which the stadium is at 50% capacity or lower. I'm pretty sure for the non-premium games (Red Sox, Yankees, opening day, etc.) they don't even sell tickets to the upper deck in right field above the Hit-it-Here cafe.

It's a rip off and unlikely to generate much profit. With the team rebuilding, the stadium will see a massive drop in attendance and this isn't going to help things.

Starting to think it might be the right time to get an MBA or Masters in Sports Management to go along with my JD and start a petition to get hired as the GM. All of my hirings will come from SportsHoopla.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Figured I'd post this here since it's probably too soon to post a regular season thread yet:

Mariners bring back the Ballpark Pass, but miss the mark

Pretty disappointed by this. I think this article does a pretty good job ripping the idea apart.

A summary would be: Last year the Mariners offered a $99 game pass for the month of July in which seats were allocated before the game and you were able to attend all the home games. Difference this year is that it is standing room only. Translation: You stand around in the Pen the entire game and don't really see much of the game and have to wait 30 minutes to get a fucking beer.

There are plenty of games during the season in which the stadium is at 50% capacity or lower. I'm pretty sure for the non-premium games (Red Sox, Yankees, opening day, etc.) they don't even sell tickets to the upper deck in right field above the Hit-it-Here cafe.

It's a rip off and unlikely to generate much profit. With the team rebuilding, the stadium will see a massive drop in attendance and this isn't going to help things.

Starting to think it might be the right time to get an MBA or Masters in Sports Management to go along with my JD and start a petition to get hired as the GM. All of my hirings will come from SportsHoopla.

It’s actually kind of amazing how often this franchise manages to botch almost everything it tries to do. Or just that it comes off as so incredibly tone deaf

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm the same regarding my following of the Padres baseball team which is why I was merely trying to speculate. I also don't really keep up with the NL at all. They could see Machado as a cornerstone to what they could be on the cusp of with all of their minor league talent.

It's also quite seldom that a player of Machado's caliber hits the open market at such a young age. Since his contract will expire when he's 36, they likely won't have to worry about carrying the dead money when he's 37-40.

It's an interesting move that only makes sense if they commit to spending more on payroll. Eventually they will need to make other acquisitions/re-sign key players and they can't just be content dedicating a huge portion of their payroll to one player.

It’s not a bad move on the Padres part especially if what is reported is true where they can get out of it after 5 years. I definitely am not trying to say it is a bad signing just really surprising that an organization like that would spend money. It would be kind of like how the baseball world would feel if the Mariners organization ever actually took on a big contract at the deadline instead of refusing too every single time they have been in contention since the inception of the franchise.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They would have dumped Myer to the mariners

The only other big money guys are machado
And hosmer....that Is not all that bad as far
As money goes

They will prob consintrat on pitching now

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kinda sounds like us many years ago when we signed Robinson Cano lol but the way I look at the padres signing him is that A. They aren't paying anyone else they are banking on the success of their young prospects and really by the time you bring them up and they complete their 6 year service obligation with a little manipulation from the team Machado should be about year 8 into his 10 year contract. Also its rare for a star free agent to even consider signing with San Diego so they figured hey if he is willing to come here he may not be as big of a draw as harper but he will sell jerseys and will definitely put us on ESPN.

Really the only draw back to these type of deals is that you would hate to pay a 37 year old 30 million dollars a season with two more seasons to go when he is batting .278 with 9 homers and can barely play the field.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s actually kind of amazing how often this franchise manages to botch almost everything it tries to do. Or just that it comes off as so incredibly tone deaf

You'd think they'd at least be able to manage things better from the finance side.

A cheap ballpark pass I think could be really profitable for them. 14 games for $100 averages to around $7 a game. Hell I'd pay that and maybe only go to 7 or so depending on my availability.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You'd think they'd at least be able to manage things better from the finance side.

A cheap ballpark pass I think could be really profitable for them. 14 games for $100 averages to around $7 a game. Hell I'd pay that and maybe only go to 7 or so depending on my availability.

This is what I don’t get. 40,000 fans coming to a game at a massive discount brings in a crap load more revenue than 12,000 in the crowd at full prize. Drinks, food and merchandise alone makes up for the money lost on the pass compared to normal ticket prices.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is what I don’t get. 40,000 fans coming to a game at a massive discount brings in a crap load more revenue than 12,000 in the crowd at full prize. Drinks, food and merchandise alone makes up for the money lost on the pass compared to normal ticket prices.

Yea i dont get it. Jokes aside these guys are supposed to be known for their business smarts over baseball smarts. If they cant even show me confidence in that area then well LOL i guess.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keukle to padres....naaa

Rather see a Zack greinke ..RHP (arizona)...trade to padres

Go from a rebuilding team to a team..gearing
Up for playoffs

San Diego has the ammo
And maybe they can dump Myer on arizona

Last edited:

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Exactly my thought.

I'd usually justify ordering 4 or so beers at $10-$12 each, and buying food by the fact that I got the tickets cheap or free from my buddy.

Perhaps the perception is that if they offer super cheap tickets, fans would be discouraged from attending the games at regular price. I honestly don't know. They should at least offer discounts on the bleacher seats and upper deck seats that are sparsely occupied.

I know they adjust ticket prices for "prime" games, they should substantially lower ticket prices on games where people don't show up. That would probably be a better way of generating revenue, but I could be wrong. Ideas like that just sound like common sense, but there has to be a reason they don't implement something like that.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea i dont get it. Jokes aside these guys are supposed to be known for their business smarts over baseball smarts. If they cant even show me confidence in that area then well LOL i guess.

As I said in another post, I don't know. I don't get it.

We don't have access to the data to confirm or deny such an idea. I have to assume that they have people who crunch the data and determined we're wrong. It just seems like such common sense to offer super cheap tickets for a Monday game against a garbage team to generate more revenue.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly my thought.

I'd usually justify ordering 4 or so beers at $10-$12 each, and buying food by the fact that I got the tickets cheap or free from my buddy.

Perhaps the perception is that if they offer super cheap tickets, fans would be discouraged from attending the games at regular price. I honestly don't know. They should at least offer discounts on the bleacher seats and upper deck seats that are sparsely occupied.

I know they adjust ticket prices for "prime" games, they should substantially lower ticket prices on games where people don't show up. That would probably be a better way of generating revenue, but I could be wrong. Ideas like that just sound like common sense, but there has to be a reason they don't implement something like that.

I know comparing big leagues to minor leagues is kind of pointless but this how a majority of minor league franchises still make some money. Do anything imaginable just to get people in the gates.

Especially if cheapening the tickets, that encourages families to come in, not the hipsters who just sit out in CF and get loaded. If a father is taking his kid or kids, you can guarantee he is spending a least $100 for his kids and however much he needs to drink to take care of them. This is why I have yet to take my kids to any sporting event other than a dumbass Storm game.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harper to phili's..now we can get on with the rest of the free agents

Keuchle...any thoughts..??

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Diamondbacks could use Adam Jones
In c.f. for two or three years

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With no LHPers Oakland could use keuchel
There ace is friers..that is only ok
Keuckle would make them more solid

They need a good push for the playoffs
With not that Many big name headliners
And big money guys
They could go get this one

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know comparing big leagues to minor leagues is kind of pointless but this how a majority of minor league franchises still make some money. Do anything imaginable just to get people in the gates.

Especially if cheapening the tickets, that encourages families to come in, not the hipsters who just sit out in CF and get loaded. If a father is taking his kid or kids, you can guarantee he is spending a least $100 for his kids and however much he needs to drink to take care of them. This is why I have yet to take my kids to any sporting event other than a dumbass Storm game.

I've actually never gone to a minor league game before but I'd really like to. Biggest obstacle for me is that Everett and Tacoma are really out of the way for me.