• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Mariners arm-chair GM offseason thread 2018-2019

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then San Diego can sign keuchel...lol

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But deslafini would prob be guy ..not roark

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the shift is here to stay for a few years. When it's use gets filtered down to high school, pony league and little league ball, young hitters will see that their peers making the biggest impact are the kids who hit to any area on the field. Another few years and we will see a whole generation of players who can hit to the opposite field. Natural evolution.

That's actually quite an interesting thought.

Similarly, my cousin is engaged to a guy who coaches youth baseball and he was telling me that nowadays in youth leagues they try to train and prepare most of their guys to have the athletic skill set to play in the middle infield. The thinking behind that is that if you have the athletic profile of someone capable of playing SS, if necessary they can move to a different position and have the athleticism necessary to make that transition.

I think you can see that in both MLB and the NFL nowadays there is a higher value played on "tweener" guys who can play multiple different positions and provide versatility.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hitting the other way is a totaly different
Swing
A little slapish limp wristish..
Undercut..or push away to a derection
Totally weird
. For a pull hitter.
And timing is a bit diff
Martinez and Boone had no problem hitting with power to right field. Doesn't have to be an undercut, nor an inside out swing, nor a limp wrist swing. If you pull your back foot back, you change the angle of where the bat will meet the ball. Or you keep your feet planted and just delay your swing a bit. Let the ball travel over the plate a tad more. At one time on their way up through amateur and lower minors, every MLB hitter could hit to the opposite field. But right now the money is being made by the guys who put the ball over the fence so they become dead pull hitters.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then San Diego can sign keuchel...lol
Half a billion dollars tied up in Myers, Hosmer and Machado. Glad it isn't my money. I think I would rather give all to Trout or Betts.

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ackley is back and @ ST. He's hoping to get a spot on the roster. What goes around comes around. :L

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
seager is so fucking skinny now

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard on the radio an M player got hurt but they didn't say who (teaser and I had to go,) any word on who and how badly?

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, he spent a lot of time with a trainer who worked with him on stretching exercises (instead of the typical weight training Seager would do off season) and worked with him on nutrition and his diet choices also. Will be interesting to see what impact it has on his season.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard on the radio an M player got hurt but they didn't say who (teaser and I had to go,) any word on who and how badly?

So far, I heard Mallex Smith had something then Lewis got hurt again.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good for Seagar for getting in better shape i guess but i dont see that making a ton of difference for him. I believe his issues are mainly between the ears

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking forward to see how Narvaez works out behind the plate. He looks to be the opposite of Zunino. Good on Offense but lacking in Defense. He's showing a super attitude spending time golfing with and getting to know the pitchers as well as other teammates. I like his enthusiasm. The young guys are hungry to prove themselves and their egos aren't so inflated yet like some veterans get....Seager, Cano etc. are examples of what I'm talking about.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wow I just looked at a recent photo of him, no kidding.

He had looked like he put on some bad weight the past few years. Hopefully this wasn't just him cutting to the point where he lost a substantial amount of muscle mass. Fingers crossed that shedding some of that bad weight will help him regain some of the athleticism he appeared to have lost the past few years.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Random fact of the day:

There have been 72 instances of players given a free agent contract of $100m or more. 9 of them were given to players 26 years old or younger.

8/9 of those players amassed a WAR of 4.5 or above during the duration of the contract.

The remaining 63 contracts were given to players older than 26 and only 8 of those 63 amassed an average WAR of 4.5 or higher.

Probably some holes to be poked at the methodology used by this article, but somewhat interesting:

Manny Machado Signed a $300 Million Deal; Bryce Harper’s Could Be for More. Will They Be Worth It?

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Random fact of the day:

There have been 72 instances of players given a free agent contract of $100m or more. 9 of them were given to players 26 years old or younger.

8/9 of those players amassed a WAR of 4.5 or above during the duration of the contract.

The remaining 63 contracts were given to players older than 26 and only 8 of those 63 amassed an average WAR of 4.5 or higher.

Probably some holes to be poked at the methodology used by this article, but somewhat interesting:

Manny Machado Signed a $300 Million Deal; Bryce Harper’s Could Be for More. Will They Be Worth It?

A-Rod more than lived up to his first contract and realistically I think Cano will live up to his because of the way he plays. Machado should be able to live up to his because he is like Cano but Machado was just vocal about his lack of effort. Harper is the exact opposite where he will miss time because he is the opposite of those two in terms of effort.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking forward to see how Narvaez works out behind the plate. He looks to be the opposite of Zunino. Good on Offense but lacking in Defense. He's showing a super attitude spending time golfing with and getting to know the pitchers as well as other teammates. I like his enthusiasm. The young guys are hungry to prove themselves and their egos aren't so inflated yet like some veterans get....Seager, Cano etc. are examples of what I'm talking about.

Rumars are
They are thinking about ...maldinado .to go
With
Narvaez

Anchia is low A is good D catcher
For a referance of who would be next

Last edited: