• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Mariners arm-chair GM offseason thread 2018-2019

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wade Miley does not scare people out of there shoes...for houston

McHugh could
..maybe
James may but in his first year i think they will catch up to him..eventually

Last edited:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Angels have added Harvey and cahill
Seems they will be better
Still beatable though
I would say

Texas rotation seems better as well and still beatable
I like the mariners chances

Oakland..?? Let's look

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oakland As a bit scary
Friers
Estrada
Mengdon
Blackburn
Bassett

The thing that is scary is they have even more guys
And they would not be scared to sign
Keuchel
Or trade for anyone they wanted

At this point..imo..and they have the ammo
In there minors as well

Yeah it's push for the searies time for oakland

If not maybe the mariners have a chance
Wahoo hoo...maybe..lol

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me
The biggest difference in the mariners is
Paxton==kikuchi...hopefully
Seguria==smith..hopefully

Diaz====strickland...hopefully

So
Beckham==Gordon in cf..??..idk..lol

Will Bruce and santana===span and heredia

Last edited:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will bishop==gamel
Will EE===cruz
..........====cano
We will see in the next exciting episode
Of
As the baseball turns

Stay tuned mariners fans...this could be a fun ride

Last edited:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't agree with fansides
Ty Gonzales that often but in the case of marwin gonzales
For a utility guy for the mariners I do

And I like
Dylan moore..would not want to get ride of him..to do it though
A one year deal or two..seems good
And I would.. not ..put in a no trade claus
Lol

I would have to say I'm sorry to negron

Last edited:

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, I heard Seager finally decided to drop a few pounds for 2019- maybe that will help cuz nothing else has. With a healed foot now he can use his whole body at the dish :pound:

Little Leaguer 1st baseman Dan V...….LOL

View attachment 198555
It isn't extra pounds nor a sore foot that has caused Seager's decline the last two years. It's the shift. He doesn't hit to the opposite field enough to take the shift away from the defense and the opposition would rather give up an occasional single to left or center than risk more singles and doubles to right. Seager could hit .300 if he went the opposite way every single time the defense shifts on him.

Prior to the 2017 season, his lifetime BA was .266. He would have needed 26 additional hits to hit .266 last year. I'm pretty damn sure there was at least 26 times last year when the second baseman was playing in shallow RF and took way hits that would have gone through when playing in the usual second base area, or the shortstop was playing up the middle and took away hits that got past the pitcher.

Case in point: the power is still there. Seager had 59 extra base hits last year and 61 the year before that. His season average throughout his career is 60.

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It isn't extra pounds nor a sore foot that has caused Seager's decline the last two years. It's the shift. He doesn't hit to the opposite field enough to take the shift away from the defense and the opposition would rather give up an occasional single to left or center than risk more singles and doubles to right. Seager could hit .300 if he went the opposite way every single time the defense shifts on him.

Prior to the 2017 season, his lifetime BA was .266. He would have needed 26 additional hits to hit .266 last year. I'm pretty damn sure there was at least 26 times last year when the second baseman was playing in shallow RF and took way hits that would have gone through when playing in the usual second base area, or the shortstop was playing up the middle and took away hits that got past the pitcher.

Case in point: the power is still there. Seager had 59 extra base hits last year and 61 the year before that. His season average throughout his career is 60.

Yeah, you're right about that. I didn't even think about that shift issue. That is an obvious huge issue for Seager. Sure wish he could do something about that.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Biggest issue is I see is it will be difficult to get him to get the at bats necessary to prove he has any value unless there is some injury or someone gets moved.

Edwin Encarncion will be the DH until he gets traded and the corner outfield spots are going to be manned by Domingo Santana and Mitch Haniger. I can't see that he can reasonably get much playing time without an injury or Encarncion getting traded.

Perhaps at 1B? He has minimal playing time there, but even Ryon Healy likely provides more value (and youth) at that position at this point.

Healy, Bruce and Encarnacion. Which two will provide the best combination of offense productivity while being the least of a defensive liability? I kinda think if Bruce gets off to a decent start, he'll be the DH and Encarnacion will be the first baseman. Bruce has played almost exclusively in RF during his career. Now that we have Mallex Smith, Haniger will stay put in RF which further pushes Bruce to DH. If Santana gets off to a slow start, things could change (Bruce to LF, Healy to 1B, EE to DH).

And Bruce is making $28 million over the next two years while Healy is still pre-arbitration eligible. It will difficult to entice anyone to acquire Bruce (and some portion of his contract) if he is riding the bench most of the time.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Healy, Bruce and Encarnacion. Which two will provide the best combination of offense productivity while being the least of a defensive liability? I kinda think if Bruce gets off to a decent start, he'll be the DH and Encarnacion will be the first baseman. Bruce has played almost exclusively in RF during his career. Now that we have Mallex Smith, Haniger will stay put in RF which further pushes Bruce to DH. If Santana gets off to a slow start, things could change (Bruce to LF, Healy to 1B, EE to DH).

And Bruce is making $28 million over the next two years while Healy is still pre-arbitration eligible. It will difficult to entice anyone to acquire Bruce (and some portion of his contract) if he is riding the bench most of the time.

Good questions and I'm honestly not sure.

I think the bigger concern with Encarnacion playing 1B is the possibility of an injury. He's 36 years old and has played less than 50 games in the field in 2018 and 2017. I'd imagine that aside from a few games here and there, the team would likely prefer to keep him at DH in order to mitigate the possibility of hurting himself.

The more likely scenario is the one you mentioned with Santana struggling, Bruce playing in LF, Healy at 1B and EE to DH.

We really are in a quagmire when it comes to Bruce. It may actually be best for the team to give Bruce more reps in LF over Santana, irrespective of if Santana struggles. He's dead weight unless he can somehow recoup some of his trade value.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You could make the argument that dropping a few pounds will help Seager with his ability in the field. In 2017 and 2018 it became obvious that he put on some bad weight. The more surprising thing about Seager is he went from a really good defensive 3B to seeing his value in the field completely dropping off with weight gain. He also looked much slower on the base paths and it's not like his bulk helped him at the plate.

I don't really see much hope in Seager being able to adjust to the shift. I hope I'm wrong, but he has been making adjustments the last two seasons to my knowledge and nothing seems to have worked.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, you're right about that. I didn't even think about that shift issue. That is an obvious huge issue for Seager. Sure wish he could do something about that.

I read a while back that he has tried a lot of different things with his swing, but none of it has seemed to materialize unfortunately. It's clear he's aware of the issue, but none of his adjustments seem to have been effective. At least he's trying; unlike our $28m pitcher who doesn't think he needs to make any adjustments.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could make the argument that dropping a few pounds will help Seager with his ability in the field. In 2017 and 2018 it became obvious that he put on some bad weight. The more surprising thing about Seager is he went from a really good defensive 3B to seeing his value in the field completely dropping off with weight gain. He also looked much slower on the base paths and it's not like his bulk helped him at the plate.

I don't really see much hope in Seager being able to adjust to the shift. I hope I'm wrong, but he has been making adjustments the last two seasons to my knowledge and nothing seems to have worked.
I think the shift is here to stay for a few years. When it's use gets filtered down to high school, pony league and little league ball, young hitters will see that their peers making the biggest impact are the kids who hit to any area on the field. Another few years and we will see a whole generation of players who can hit to the opposite field. Natural evolution.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wade Miley does not scare people out of there shoes...for houston

McHugh could
..maybe
James may but in his first year i think they will catch up to him..eventually
I'd be afraid of any starting pitcher who landed in Houston. Their pitching coach is working magic. Verlander finds the fountain of youth, Cole back to his 2016 form, Charlie Morton suddenly becomes a dominant pitcher at age 34. Brad Peacock turns his career around. Really, the only guy he couldn't help improve was Giles.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bruce could if he he plays like pre 2018 and duval continues his slide.

A bit late on this

But good point on Duval

Senzel...cf.cinnci would..be a good trade
To San diego...for Margot or cordero

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be afraid of any starting pitcher who landed in Houston. Their pitching coach is working magic. Verlander finds the fountain of youth, Cole back to his 2016 form, Charlie Morton suddenly becomes a dominant pitcher at age 34. Brad Peacock turns his career around. Really, the only guy he couldn't help improve was Giles.

Good point..and Miley did well with Milwaukee last year
And with Arizona in 2012 and 13
But has not done as well in the American league

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hitting the other way is a totaly different
Swing
A little slapish limp wristish..