• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Mariners arm-chair GM offseason thread 2018-2019

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree but it's completely sad that team that has one of the wealthiest ownership groups in MLB needs to tear it down to the studs. If this is the direction they need to go then Jerry needs to be fired on the spot. Jerry is personally responsible for the Mariners having the worst farm system in baseball and tearing it down means they won't have a club that even resembles a big league club and would be lucky to draw a million next year. And even tearing it down they will still have twice the payroll of other organizations tanking it.

It's just pathetic, Jerry got an extension essentially so he wasn't a lame duck at the deadline and he did nothing to make the team or the health of the organization better. Scott got his extension because of the first half yet showed zero ability to light a fire with the players when they started a nose dive.

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dipoto has a lot of experience "deleting" the farm. That's what the LA fans say he did in his "efforts" with the Angels. Sounds like it's going to be some years before we can get some pride back as long as the owners keep the current Batman and Robin on the payroll.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree but it's completely sad that team that has one of the wealthiest ownership groups in MLB needs to tear it down to the studs. If this is the direction they need to go then Jerry needs to be fired on the spot. Jerry is personally responsible for the Mariners having the worst farm system in baseball and tearing it down means they won't have a club that even resembles a big league club and would be lucky to draw a million next year. And even tearing it down they will still have twice the payroll of other organizations tanking it.

It's just pathetic, Jerry got an extension essentially so he wasn't a lame duck at the deadline and he did nothing to make the team or the health of the organization better. Scott got his extension because of the first half yet showed zero ability to light a fire with the players when they started a nose dive.

I doubt they tear it down. They are incapable and refuse to do that. 85 wins is what this franchise strives for every year and they bank on luck on to make the playoffs. Clearly that strategy is terrible and hasn't worked once but they aren't gonna risk a financial hit even for one year by rebuilding.

Look at Jack Z's tenure, yeah he turned out to be awful but even that wasn't a rebuild. In year two they were already making moves like signing Chone Figgins and trading for Cliff Lee (a rental). Guys like Zunino and Ackley were rushed through the organization when they weren't ready because the major league product was bare.

Yea the front office about the GM has changed bodies but the philosophy is still the same. Winning is a nice bonus but they don't crave it. Not at the expense of taking a financial hit for a couple of years. Instead of trading guys like Paxton, Diaz or Haniger when they have high value, they will hold on them like Felix so they can prove winning is important to them. But they don't know how to win. They wont change.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt they tear it down. They are incapable and refuse to do that. 85 wins is what this franchise strives for every year and they bank on luck on to make the playoffs. Clearly that strategy is terrible and hasn't worked once but they aren't gonna risk a financial hit even for one year by rebuilding.

Look at Jack Z's tenure, yeah he turned out to be awful but even that wasn't a rebuild. In year two they were already making moves like signing Chone Figgins and trading for Cliff Lee (a rental). Guys like Zunino and Ackley were rushed through the organization when they weren't ready because the major league product was bare.

Yea the front office about the GM has changed bodies but the philosophy is still the same. Winning is a nice bonus but they don't crave it. Not at the expense of taking a financial hit for a couple of years. Instead of trading guys like Paxton, Diaz or Haniger when they have high value, they will hold on them like Felix so they can prove winning is important to them. But they don't know how to win. They wont change.

I guess I'm easier on the ownership group in not saying they don't want to win. I think it is more of they don't know how and arent baseball guys, even though Stanton pretends, enough to hire the right guys. Just hires retreads or guys that interview well but don't do what they say during their interview. Screw the 3 year contracts, fire Jerry sign some assistant front office guy from the Cubs, Braves or Astros..or hell give Billy Beane a fat contract and partial ownership of the club and full control over Root Sports.

They need a 5 year deal so the GM can actual try to build the farm system and not just burn down the old one you had to try and create a .500 club. Sure, he was handi capped with big contracts, but made a solid move with the Segura deal and saw potential in Haniger, where has those type of deals been. Maybe not for someone Hanigers quality but a backup catcher, a utility guy, arms so you don't waste millions on Gallardo and Nicassio type guys. And the Mariners have finally found a hitter who is successful in Safeco power wise and are going to let him walk because Jerry traded for Healy and dumb ass trade for Vogelbach.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I'm easier on the ownership group in not saying they don't want to win. I think it is more of they don't know how and arent baseball guys, even though Stanton pretends, enough to hire the right guys. Just hires retreads or guys that interview well but don't do what they say during their interview.

I guess I didn’t mean they don't want to win. I just don’t believe they crave winning. Not like a Steinbrenner type ownership group. And I’m not just talking about spending money. It’s having the recognition that the way you are doing things isn’t working and has to change. Dipoto wasn’t hired to rebuild everything. He was the choice because he sold them that roster was good enough and just needed tinkering. That’s what they wanted to hear because it didn’t require rebuilding or chasing big money free agents.
They need a baseball guy above the GM and be willing to change the way they do things.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really a bold prediction anymore but I’m betting Segura gets traded.
I guess Servais yanked him for not hustling yesterday. That after the he kinda threw him under the bus a month ago about not playing and susposdely being involved in a clubhouse altercation

I’m for Segura getting traded only because you could actually get value for him I believe despite his poor second half. However it’s weird that Servais chooses him out of all the players to be hard on.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I didn’t mean they don't want to win. I just don’t believe they crave winning. Not like a Steinbrenner type ownership group. And I’m not just talking about spending money. It’s having the recognition that the way you are doing things isn’t working and has to change. Dipoto wasn’t hired to rebuild everything. He was the choice because he sold them that roster was good enough and just needed tinkering. That’s what they wanted to hear because it didn’t require rebuilding or chasing big money free agents.
They need a baseball guy above the GM and be willing to change the way they do things.

Completely agree, I don't doubt the ownership group lacks the passion some do about winning but you aren't going to find a ton of passionate fans who are wealthy enough nor do most team groups higher ups are baseball guys. But they do seem just to hire guys who, as you said, interview well. Jack Z and Dipoto both interviewed on certain core values and within a year have changed their entire philosophy.

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing new with this organization. It's not just a coincidence that we are the only professional sports team that hasn't made their mark in, now, 18 years. It's sad and discouraging for any Seattle M's fans. So much money tied up in contacts and the players are just getting older. (and rich too) Stanton talks a good game, but as we all know.....talk is cheap and actions speak louder than words. Wish the franchise would be sold to owners who really want a winning team and will do what it takes to get there. That won't happen and we'll be standing on the outside looking in for who knows how many more seasons.

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AND...…..

Another One Bites The Dust-

cut2.jpg refuseWIN.jpg

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really a bold prediction anymore but I’m betting Segura gets traded.
I guess Servais yanked him for not hustling yesterday. That after the he kinda threw him under the bus a month ago about not playing and susposdely being involved in a clubhouse altercation

I’m for Segura getting traded only because you could actually get value for him I believe despite his poor second half. However it’s weird that Servais chooses him out of all the players to be hard on.

Definitely strange that Servais would call Segura out of all of the players this year. Outside of Haniger, Cruz and Diaz he has been the only person that Servais shouldn't have thrown under the bus.

And since Segura is "Jerry's guy dating back to Milwaukee as he says all the time" why doesn't Scott call out non Jerry guys? Why has Seager gotten the light feather treatment but no calling him out?

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely strange that Servais would call Segura out of all of the players this year. Outside of Haniger, Cruz and Diaz he has been the only person that Servais shouldn't have thrown under the bus.

And since Segura is "Jerry's guy dating back to Milwaukee as he says all the time" why doesn't Scott call out non Jerry guys? Why has Seager gotten the light feather treatment but no calling him out?

Seager should definitely have been called out-much of the season. Servais doesn't have the balls to mess with Seager. Actually, Servais doesn't have the balls to do much of anything most of the time.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seager should definitely have been called out-much of the season. Servais doesn't have the balls to mess with Seager. Actually, Servais doesn't have the balls to do much of anything most of the time.

He semi called out Felix earlier then threw Segura under the bus. Yet Seager has gotten a pass all year, not even a benching or an embarrassing switch in the order like Gordon got.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By Greg Johns MLB.com @gregjohnsmlb
Oct. 1st, 2018
SEATTLE -- Mariners general manager Jerry Dipoto said some reassessment and restructuring of his club's roster is in order this offseason, but coming off an 89-win season with some good young pieces in place he won't be looking to tear down and start over.

Dipoto looks at first-time All-Stars Mitch Haniger and Edwin Diaz as well as up-and-coming starter Marco Gonzales as building blocks for the future, not trade chips to bring in younger prospects in a total youth movement.

"We do have some guys that are aging and some guys that are just coming into their own," Dipoto said. "I think that makes us like most every other team in the league. We just have to determine what our direction is and a lot of our direction will be based on that core of young players."

In meeting with the media the day after the season ended, Dipoto didn't make any declarative statements about whether he'll bring back designated hitter Nelson Cruz or what positions Robinson Cano, Dee Gordon and others would fill next year.

Instead, he said internal meetings regarding all the options have just begun and how things play out will depend on what moves can be accomplished.

Cano said after Sunday's season finale that he expected to return to second base next season. He split time at second with Gordon after returning from his 80-game suspension in mid-August, but Dipoto and manager Scott Servais indicated no such decisions have yet been made.

"Our roster where it's at right now is a long way away from Opening Day," Servais said. "I think it's important to see where we are at that point and see where he fits best. It's about the team. It's about putting the best team out there, giving us the chance to win the most games. We'll see how it breaks out here this offseason."

In the same vein, the Mariners are open to re-signing impending free agent Cruz, but that sounds far from a slam dunk.

"Those decisions have yet to be made," Dipoto said. "Right now it appears there's a very clear need at DH, and we all know and love Nelson. But we have to consider what comes next and the different creative ways a roster might come together. We'll never close the door on considering anything, up to and including bringing him back. I think Nelly would like to be back, but I'm sure he is considering his options as well."

Gordon opened the year in center field, a position he'd never played, then shifted to his natural second-base spot during Cano's suspension. Dipoto acknowledged the club would like to find one spot for Gordon to stick to next year, but wasn't prepared to say where that position would be.

"We asked him to move to center field, and he did yeoman's work at a position he'd never played," Dipoto said. "He did what we asked him to do, because that's what good teammates do. When we asked him to move in to play second base, he did that, too, because that's what good teammates do.

"At the end of the day, we'll have to assess what fits with this roster and where Robbie plays and whether we bring back Nelson. A lot will be judged by what the roster looks like as we go through the offseason. So many different things could happen from trades to free-agent signings that we can't pin ourselves into one single idea or building around one single player. We have to take more of a broad view of a roster than that."

Dipoto believes Gordon and Kyle Seager can bounce back from sub-par offensive seasons and sees help coming as early as the second half of next season from young prospects Evan White, Kyle Lewis and Braden Bishop. He hasn't closed the door on Daniel Vogelbach being an offensive contributor.

Pitching-wise, all five starters are slated to return, though certainly questions linger about Felix Hernandez's status after his difficult 2018 campaign.

In other words, it'll be an interesting offseason in Seattle and while a total overhaul shouldn't be expected, tough decisions and moves are definitely forthcoming.

"Ultimately, we haven't reached our goal here," Servais said. "We may have to make a few changes to get to the goal. And it's not just to make a Wild Card Game, it's to get deep into the postseason and win a world championship."

Greg Johns has covered the Mariners since 1997, and for MLB.com since 2011. Follow him on Twitter @GregJohnsMLB.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Need the right platoon player to help seager as well as be a utility to replace romaine
Gordon should be c.f.

If they can get a #2starter by trade that is
Younger and does not cost a lot
Then they have a chance to resign Cruz

Otherwise it could be voggey

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dipoto looks at first-time All-Stars Mitch Haniger and Edwin Diaz as well as up-and-coming starter Marco Gonzales as building blocks for the future, not trade chips to bring in younger prospects in a total youth movement..
They are ok B pieces but they aren't franchise cornerstones. They aren't Springer, Correa and Bregman or Bryant and Rizzo. You cant build a franchise around them sorry.

Gordon opened the year in center field, a position he'd never played, then shifted to his natural second-base spot during Cano's suspension. Dipoto acknowledged the club would like to find one spot for Gordon to stick to next year, but wasn't prepared to say where that position would be.

Off the roster or utility man are the only spots that make sense. But since they seem to be scapegoating Segura he probably ends up at SS

Dipoto believes Gordon and Kyle Seager can bounce back from sub-par offensive seasons and sees help coming as early as the second half of next season from young prospects Evan White, Kyle Lewis and Braden Bishop. He hasn't closed the door on Daniel Vogelbach being an offensive contributor.

Blah Blah Blah on Seagar. Not even gonna comment there. And just stop with Vogelbach as well. Plenty of chances to give him playing time and they haven't. Even this last month he started like 3 times. Gonna go into year 4 with him still not knowing what you have? Please

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holes on this roster

Catcher
SS (assuming Segura is gone)
CF
Two middle of the order bats (assuming Cruz is gone) or 1 if he stays

#1 starter