• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Mariners arm-chair GM offseason thread 2018-2019

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
carlos santana
2019: $17 million, 2020: $17.5 million, 2021: $17.5 million club option ($500,000 buyout)
for cano
in a larger deal...ill take it
and platoon him with..healy

500,000..buyout..cuts it down to two years

Last edited:

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
odds of DuImPbOaTsOs getting played in any Cano trade?

With Cano's contract who knows. Apparently the Mariners discussed Ellsbury for Cano, but the Yankees wanted "significant" money coming along with Cano in addition to us taking on Ellsbury's contract.

Honestly not sure what any kind of deal would look like. How much money would the Mariners have to send along with Cano? I think the Mariners best bet is keeping Cano at 2B to show he can still play the position daily (which I believe he can), and try to move him at the deadline. A team would likely be more willing to take on Cano's contract at the deadline if they're contending and need a 2B.

Worth noting that Cano has a no-trade clause. I don't see why he wouldn't waive it, but you never know. If he gets moved it would be interesting to see what the package looks like. He's still a good player, just not worth the money he's being paid.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
carlos santana
2019: $17 million, 2020: $17.5 million, 2021: $17.5 million club option ($500,000 buyout)
for cano
in a larger deal...ill take it
and platoon him with..healy

500,000..buyout..cuts it down to two years

Interesting proposition. Although Cano graded above average defensively in 2018, he's still 36 going on 37. Given his age it's only a matter of time until he would be need to be moved to DH or 1B. I know it was a new position, but in his very limited time at 1B he looked awful defensively.

Given Cano's contract, all I'd care about is getting his money off the books in the most efficient way possible without sending too much money to another team or sending a prospect in exchange for another team taking on his contract.

Mariners are pretty constrained here. A team would have to be desperate and have the payroll flexibility to take him on.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they are willing to pay the kind of money to deal Cano then I’d rather them put that money towards paying Seager to go to another team.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Cano's contract who knows. Apparently the Mariners discussed Ellsbury for Cano, but the Yankees wanted "significant" money coming along with Cano in addition to us taking on Ellsbury's contract.

Honestly not sure what any kind of deal would look like. How much money would the Mariners have to send along with Cano? I think the Mariners best bet is keeping Cano at 2B to show he can still play the position daily (which I believe he can), and try to move him at the deadline. A team would likely be more willing to take on Cano's contract at the deadline if they're contending and need a 2B.

Worth noting that Cano has a no-trade clause. I don't see why he wouldn't waive it, but you never know. If he gets moved it would be interesting to see what the package looks like. He's still a good player, just not worth the money he's being paid.

in the phili deal...they are desperate to off load santana(for a more productive player)...and would look at cano as a 2B/1B type
even cano would be a defensive upgrade...to what they have now...so the prospect would be coming the mariners way
in this one..and i would not eat more than 5 mil for two years==10 mil..(.enough to give to charity...for cano..lol)

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they are willing to pay the kind of money to deal Cano then I’d rather them put that money towards paying Seager to go to another team.

amazingly...the philis could also use..a better defensive..3b..to platoon with maikel franco..R/R seager is L/L..and better def

heck might as well send segura as well

and help phili's to a world series.....lol

Last edited:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the only way to solve santana, cris davis(baltimore) type production problems

is to start guaranteeing half the high contract( like 10mil of a 20mil) and the rest be prodution bonus..up to the high doller amount

no one could argue if the guy did not reach his production numbers...unless they

markus allened the guy...so i would put in a clause for that as well.

.oh im sure the players union would argue against..

Last edited:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i guess a markus allen claus would be an opportunity claus.(not counting injury)..for the cause..lol

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the only way to solve santana, cris davis(baltimore) type production problems

is to start guaranteeing half the high contract( like 10mil of a 20mil) and the rest be prodution bonus..up to the high doller amount

no one could argue if the guy did not reach his production numbers...unless they

markus allened the guy...so i would put in a clause for that as well.

.oh im sure the players union would argue against..

if half did not work i would try to go 2/3 rds..lol

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cano is an all star...santana is not....sorry..phili...that is an..uuufff

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

im not so sure on the luxury tax in baseball but..ny yankees always seem to be up against it

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
for example

Because Washington paid the tax last year, the Nationals' base rate is 30 percentand would rise to 42 percent on any amount above $237 million. Luxury tax payrolls are based on the average annual values of contracts of all players on 40-man rosters and include $14,044,600 in benefits.Apr 23, 2018

basicly the tax keeps the small market teams in the same league as ...the big boys

yankees, dodgers,boston,washington,chicago

Last edited:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well after doing a lineup card after a santana/cano trade i just did not like it...so i came up with a different one that would fit a bit better for both sides

seager...for santana..seagers D is way better than santana's...and a change may do him good

voggy....1B/dh..L/L...they would prob trade him to detroit or toronto or K.C..maybe
gordan...gold glove/2B/inf/utility...they need D..he has it
altavilla
festa

for
pivetta...mariners need an ace..simple as that

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what do mariners get in a santana/ seager trade..a backup 1b/3b..bench guy but not always..maybe sometime DH

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rotoworld saying the mets are interested in Cano.

Gotta imagine it starts with eating Bruce, and maybe Vargas? idk what the mets are doing here tbh.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
forget about it
does not work....IMO...maybe trying to clear up money..to get an ace but..not that way
i would rather watch robbie do what he does here
ra.jpg

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i don't care where cano goes

i just want to see how much of his contract we'll still have to eat

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hard to make a line up without segura or cano.......or the right trade pieces in return...bruce does not cut it

just cuz those people are in NY....does ....not .........make them cool...to me