• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Mariners arm-chair GM offseason thread 2018-2019

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Is it just me or was he one of the biggest disappointments in Mariners history? When he came over he looked like a sure fired all star then went all Ackley.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But in that same article, Cotterill points out that Herrmann had been given very little playing time in comparison to fellow backup David Freitas down the stretch. Herrmann and Freitas ended the season with a similar number of plate appearances (86 for Herrmann vs. just over 100 for Freitas), although Herrmann was more productive in his time, earning .6 fWAR and hitting a memorable walk-off home run. Herrmann was also a personal favorite of staff writer and OBP fan Zach Gottschalk, who appreciated Herrmann’s ability to take a walk (11.5% BB rate) on a contact-focused team that didn’t work too many of them.

To add insult to injury, Herrmann was claimed by the Houston Astros, whose lone weakness is at the catching position. Veterans Brian McCann and Martin Maldonado are both free agents next year. Max Stassi posted a 1.2 fWAR in 250 plate appearances, but the defense-first catcher was left off the playoff roster. I’d expect the Astros to upgrade the position more sharply than Herrmann, who is thrilled to be claimed by his hometown team, but in the meantime, the Marinersjust took a hit at a position that’s thin across the organization.

Mariners play long game, place good-hitting catcher on waivers for division rival to claim

as a back up for zunino...this guy will work

Kurt Suzuki #24
  • C
  • B/T: R/R
  • 5' 11/210
SummaryStatsNewsAwardsSHOP
  • Kurt Kiyoshi Suzuki
  • Nickname: Zuk
  • Born: 10/04/1983 in Wailuku, HI
  • Draft: 2004, Oakland Athletics, 2nd rd.
  • College: Cal State Fullerton
  • Debut: 6/12/2007
  • he is 35 yo..but he can hit

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
right now..i dont consider aj pollack better than a trade cordero......head to head....cordero will hit more Hr's
his ave is lower....but he has not had a full season either.....and as i have said many times..he is only 24yo

the only thing san diego could use...that the mariners have ..is mike leake

a guy i really like as seattle's #4 guy...but then that is why san diego would like him as well

with there potential rotation going
lucchesi...LHP
lamet/nix
lauer..LHP
leake
clayton richards..LHP

nix
erlin....LHP
mitchell
kennedy
quantrill

bringing...the depth

Last edited:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so lets say you get cordero.....and im not even sure san diego will give him up...what then..and they would need two rhp'ers then

what happens to gordan....well if they dont trade him...then i cant think of a better
utility guy than gordon would be...if they traded for cordero..why

haniger..Rhh..30 HR..RF a year ...good ave
cordero..LHH..20-30 HR a year..CF....right now ave around ..2.30..but should go up..defence is good..can steal bases
gamel..LHH..not many HR's ..but ave is ok..
heredia..RHH...defence..good bench guy

and the outfield would be fixed..with bishop or lewis coming to a AAA near you..soon.......lol

but with gordon as a..LH utiliy..and good 2b..then

seager could be the odd guy out.....and then a R/R 3b...sure ..sure ..machado would work....and after giveing up leake
and seager they would have the money==== 30 mil..and no need to bring back cruz...

but the chances are the same..as landing ohtani..on machado...and if not him then who

but just the cordero trade would solve some issues..if you keep seager ...then you need a 3B /DH/RHH/seager platoon
villanuava of sd would do but again the mariners dont really have anything they need

then again does san diego really need villanuava and myer..at 3b

Last edited:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and for sandiego cory spangenberg ..could be the odd guy out..or the myer and hosmer
backup

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but sd..could use segura...and a segura and leake trade...would solve most of san diego's prob's

cuz seattle would get cordero and villanuava for sure..and prob a Rhp..which would leave another RHP to get for
seattle and a short stop...machado..??...nnaaa..lol..even though again the money would be there..after segura and leake

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When he came over he looked like a sure fired all star then went all Ackley.

I like to think of him as the original Ackley.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like to think of him as the original Ackley.

No kidding, I really liked that trade going into the next spring with him and Morse (was Ben Davis the other one), then all hell broke lose with Reed not knowing how to hit then Morse getting suspended. But I think Freddy’s career was basically over too after he got dealt wasn’t it?

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No kidding, I really liked that trade going into the next spring with him and Morse (was Ben Davis the other one), then all hell broke lose with Reed not knowing how to hit then Morse getting suspended. But I think Freddy’s career was basically over too after he got dealt wasn’t it?

The guy truly was Ackley 10 years earlier and both flamed out. Only common thread.....Mariners. :)

Morse is still the nicest player I had ever spoken with. He was true class with me and my family at spring training so I will always think highly of him.

Freddy was at then where Felix is currently at.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
going down the shopping list..could mike moustakas work..maybe if you traded seager...about the same money
but the same prob would exist

josh donaldson seems over priced

asdrubal cabrera..for 3b??..could work
jose iglesias..for short stop and segura to 3B....sounds good
jordy mercer would work..the same as iglesias...if it went that way..
freddy galvis............these four guys work out..more or less the same

the solarte...possible...would be an option but not a great one..like seager the talent is there
Blue Jays Buy Themselves Time With Decision on Yangervis Solarte

they are all and gordon,...... better than romine

so much for CF and 3b..and short stop

and others right now..are prob low producers.......they dont need another romine

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guy truly was Ackley 10 years earlier and both flamed out. Only common thread.....Mariners. :)

Morse is still the nicest player I had ever spoken with. He was true class with me and my family at spring training so I will always think highly of him.

Freddy was at then where Felix is currently at.

Agree on Morse (at least at the time) dude seemed like just a big kid who was happy to be playing baseball for a living. Glad he ended up finding success elsewhere because I think he is the first of what became standard practice for the Mariners in just switching positions of players and never allow them to get good at one. It is nice to do the whole get his bat in the lineup thing but you can’t yo-yo young players like they do/use to.

I honestly couldn’t remember about Freddy. I knew Felix idolized him but truly can’t even remember really hearing his name after the trade.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but the mariners still need a hitting coach and pitching coach..........i want to see reseme's on this one..not friends and friend's of friends..which == ole boy net..but this is a business

raul Ibanez

Ibanez had two stints with the Royals, and was famously known for being the clubhouse presence that helped spur the team to a pennant in 2014. He turned down an opportunity to be the Yankees hitting coach, withdrew his name from consideration for the Rays managerial job, and rejected a job offer from the Royals, so it is unclear if he wants to get into coaching. If he does, he will be one of the most sought-after candidates. He is currently a special assistant to Dodgers General Manager Andrew Friedman, and serves as an analyst for FOX.

Let’s look at some hitting coach candidates for the Royals

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chili Davis

Davis is a free agent now that the Red Sox have fired manager John Farrell, but he may also be a managerial candidate for some openings around baseball, including in Boston. Davis was lauded for improving the Red Sox offense in clutch situation by changing the mindset of their young hitters. He gets along great with players, and emphasizes working the count.

"If I have a philosophy, it's discipline, quality at-bats," Davis said. "I'm into the cat-and-mouse games between the pitcher and hitter. I want the hitter to give himself the best possible chance to beat that pitcher.

"For me, it's more of a mentality than a philosophy. I want them to get quality pitches and I want them to make the pitchers work if they are going to get them out."

The Red Sox led the league in runs scored in 2016, but fell back to sixth this year. Davis played with the Royals in 1997, part of a 19-year career in which he hit 350 home runs and collected 2,350 hits. He has been a hitting coach since 2011, working with the A’s before moving on to Boston. He has already interviewed for the vacant hitting coach position in San Diego and is expecte

Eric Hinske

Hinske is the assistant hitting coach for the Cubs, the second-highest runs scoring offense in the National League. He originally started as a first base coach under Rick Renteria in 2014, but was kept on as assistant hitting coach when Joe Maddon took over. He is known as being a good clubhouse guy who is not much older than many of the players. Anthony Rizzo credited him with him improving his performance against left-handed pitchers. Hinske talks a lot about mechanics and seems open to analytics.

But all this information comes down, there are all these analytics guys and they know what they’re talking about. And if you don’t buy into it you’re gone. You’ve got to keep up with the Joneses, you know? I dig it, I think it’s all cool, you just have to pick through it. Too much information is bad sometimes. Sometimes I just want to know the pitch, the velocity and what’s his out-pitch.

B9727903.139902764;sz=1x1;ord=%%CACHEBUSTER%%;dc_lat=;dc_rdid=;tag_for_child_directed_treatment=

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it just me or was he one of the biggest disappointments in Mariners history? When he came over he looked like a sure fired all star then went all Ackley.

We certainly have a lot of disappointments in Mariners history, so that's saying something.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but the mariners still need a hitting coach and pitching coach..........i want to see reseme's on this one..not friends and friend's of friends..which == ole boy net..but this is a business

raul Ibanez

Ibanez had two stints with the Royals, and was famously known for being the clubhouse presence that helped spur the team to a pennant in 2014. He turned down an opportunity to be the Yankees hitting coach, withdrew his name from consideration for the Rays managerial job, and rejected a job offer from the Royals, so it is unclear if he wants to get into coaching. If he does, he will be one of the most sought-after candidates. He is currently a special assistant to Dodgers General Manager Andrew Friedman, and serves as an analyst for FOX.

Let’s look at some hitting coach candidates for the Royals

Interesting tidbit. Had no idea that Ibanez was so sought after as a coach.

Definitely one of my favorite Mariners players of all-time. Partially because the only ball I've ever got from a game was thrown to me by him.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont know where hinske is ..with cubs or what but..i like this answer

But all this information comes down, there are all these analytics guys and they know what they’re talking about. And if you don’t buy into it you’re gone. You’ve got to keep up with the Joneses, you know? I dig it, I think it’s all cool, you just have to pick through it.

Too much information is bad sometimes. Sometimes I just want to know the pitch, the velocity and what’s his out-pitch.

how to use info is important.....cuz you can analize all day...if you dont know how to use it

what good is it....guys dont want to think about stats...when they are trying to hit...lol

Last edited:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
next on my list is the rotation...and the idea of trading paxton..is ok..but i cant think of all the possible trades

trading your ace is not all that easy(on the ball club)....and trading gonzales ,and leblanc at this point...does not seem a good idea

if..they trade..leake..then they can go after..... weber..he is a free agent he did well at tampa's AAA..but cuz they have so many starting young pitchers did not really get a chance....i would give him that chance
and maybe povse as well..and whalen

would i like to add stephenson(cinni to that)...you bet...droool..lol

but they have to integrate young pitching at some point...now is a good time

for the #4 starter

then.....you can go get a #2 starter for the rotation...pick your..fav.1-3 guys.in free agents..and go

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
paxton is 30...paxton does not have ..a lot of miles on his arm as felix does

leake is 31...i like leake...but two things..i need young pitching...and cordero..IMO

leblanc is 34 but he may be his best right now...his contract is not huge..as a # 5 starter he is not bad

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if i ever had to pick a prospect with sd..i would take this guy..he is a HS guy from chicago...he is at low A right now

669261.jpg

Jack Suwinski 2 LF
Fort Wayne TinCaps
divider-420x20.gif

• Full Name: Jack William Suwinski
  • Birthplace: Chicago, IL
  • Bats/Throws: L/L Ht: 6' 2" Wt: 206
  • Draft: Round 15 (2016, SD)
  • Scho
    s Career [+] 2 teams Minors 266 962 133 231 352 42 11 19 108 104 1 247 16 8 .240 .322 .366 .688 0.94
    ol: Taft, Chicago, IL
he is not great...but he is ok...and would help fill a hole..in the mariners minors