• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Mariners arm-chair GM offseason thread 2018-2019

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think one of the bigger issues is that for some odd reason his command has diminished substantially in addition to his lack of velocity.

I can understand his velocity dropping but I wouldn't expect his command to drop as well. That's why I partially wonder if it's an issue of conditioning.

My bigger concern is that he's either unable or unwilling to make the adjustments he needs to prolong his career. I've read all this bullshit about how demoralized he has been because of his poor performances, yet all last offseason he refused to make any adjustments. C.C. Sabathia was able to do it by adding another pitch, making other adjustments and he had to overcome being an alcoholic and playing in New York City.

If he can do it I don't see why Felix shouldn't be able to at least become serviceable with some hard work and adjustments.

yeah ..that is the denial..of a prob...before..the issue eventually makes you realize...something must be done

happens to everyone

we are just seeing it with felix

and some people older than felix ...have issues...with realizing probs so..just give it time

i think he will evetually get there

alway liked that music...lol

Last edited:

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think one of the bigger issues is that for some odd reason his command has diminished substantially in addition to his lack of velocity.

I can understand his velocity dropping but I wouldn't expect his command to drop as well. That's why I partially wonder if it's an issue of conditioning.

My bigger concern is that he's either unable or unwilling to make the adjustments he needs to prolong his career. I've read all this bullshit about how demoralized he has been because of his poor performances, yet all last offseason he refused to make any adjustments. C.C. Sabathia was able to do it by adding another pitch, making other adjustments and he had to overcome being an alcoholic and playing in New York City.

If he can do it I don't see why Felix shouldn't be able to at least become serviceable with some hard work and adjustments.
The way everyone swings for the fences now, a pitcher doesn't have to be fast in order to rack up strikeouts. LeBlanc and Hernandez had the exact same K/9 last year: 7.22. LeBlanc isn't much faster than Moyer was.

The worst thing that happened to Felix was the King's Court. That mob has just encouraged him to go for strikeouts instead of pitching to contact.

In an unrelated note, I think they should trade Paxton this off season. He's starting to get a bit long in the tooth for a fastball pitcher. Most pitchers can't hold onto the heat like, say, Verlander or RJ or Nolan Ryan. Paxton's dip in velocity is going to happen sooner rather than later. And rather than get tied into another over-priced long term contract, I think they should trade him. His trade value will never be higher than it is right now.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way everyone swings for the fences now, a pitcher doesn't have to be fast in order to rack up strikeouts. LeBlanc and Hernandez had the exact same K/9 last year: 7.22. LeBlanc isn't much faster than Moyer was.

The worst thing that happened to Felix was the King's Court. That mob has just encouraged him to go for strikeouts instead of pitching to contact.

In an unrelated note, I think they should trade Paxton this off season. He's starting to get a bit long in the tooth for a fastball pitcher. Most pitchers can't hold onto the heat like, say, Verlander or RJ or Nolan Ryan. Paxton's dip in velocity is going to happen sooner rather than later. And rather than get tied into another over-priced long term contract, I think they should trade him. His trade value will never be higher than it is right now.

i think they would trade pax at this point if they got a ..two for one deal...with pitchers that where 24 to 26 years old
but for sure ...they would have to be the right ones..and maybe even a couple prospect's thown in

which is a sell high on pax...or its a no go

that said the whole rotation ..could be traded...lol...for young pitching to make everything come into line

Last edited:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but i dont think there would be a point to trading gonzales ...he is what they want right now....lol
yeah and prob a natinal league teaM

and i would still try to sign phelps...asap to a minor league contract...hot fire..lol

Last edited:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A NATIONAL LEAGUE TEAM TO TRADE WITH LIKE METS., phili ,washington or????..so they dont have to face pax all the time

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Philly or atl getting Pax makes a lot of sense to me

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
phili makes sense to me for nick pavetta...Rhp.. and cole irvin L/L..from oregon..at AAA........gilbert L/L at there AAA relief guy
and derick hall...1b..L/R..AA....would work that would keep white at high A one more year that is ok cuz that is where they needed a guy

send hernandez as well..??...ok...twist my arm...lol

atlanta just does not seem to have the right stuff in the right place

that would make phili's rotation
nola
pax..LHP
arrieta
valasquez
eflin
better than it was
mariners

pevetta
gonzales..LHP
leake
irvin...LHP
ramirez
lablancLHP

Last edited:

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For what it's worth, Felix actually pitched much better at home than on the road in 2018. His ERA at home was 4.32 versus 6.97 on the road.

Trading Paxton isn't an awful idea. In addition to the possible regression in velocity, he has an extremely bad history with injuries and the older he gets, the worse that problem is going to plague him I'd suspect.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i like this one trade elias LHP for robert stephenson as well.

pavetta
irvin..LHP
stephenson
gonzales..LHP
leake
leblanc..LHP..takes elias spot......lol

ramirez in the pen....boooom done.....lol..in fantasy lol

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
who would bring up the back side at tacoma...??

phelp's ..hopefully
povse
whalen

weber...if they could get him

still a couple of milb free agent LHPers as well

it shure would give us a lot to write about though...cuz they would go threw growing pains as well
the mariners would still be a good team i think

pavetta is from ..victora B.C.

Last edited:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
one thing is sure pavetta and irvin would put canadians and oregonians..in the seats...and put depotos critic's to sleep for now..and a few years..which may be just enough..to rebuild the minors

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the only change i would make is derrick hall....change to jakob hernandez..L/L..texas-arlington..to fill the LHP spot at AA
674342.jpg

Jakob Hernandez 47 P
Clearwater Threshers
divider-420x20.gif

• Full Name: Jakob Hernandez
  • Birthplace: Parker, CO
  • Bats/Throws: L/L Ht: 6' 4" Wt: 260
  • Draft: Round 21 (2017, PHI)
  • School: Texas-Arlington

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
or
663559.jpg

Bailey Falter 33 P
Clearwater Threshers
divider-420x20.gif

• Full Name: Bailey Falter
  • Birthplace: Chino Hills, CA
  • Bats/Throws: R/L Ht: 6' 4" Wt: 175
  • Draft: Round 5 (2015, PHI)
  • School: Chino Hills, CA
that is not even hitting them hard cuz the only thing we took off there prospect list was the #10...lol..they would be happy about that...yeah prob this guy..and i would still throw in felix..lol

Last edited:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
then with leake, leblanc,and ramirez to cover the kids backside it would work.......BA ha..lol

if you had to give more for stephenson...there is always altavila or warren

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
savings minus
paxton== it was 4.9..p..will be 9 mil...if traded
cruz====minus.................. .14 mi
gordon===minus..................13 mil...if traded
hernadez..see below................3 mil....if traded

just those guys looks like's a ..FAT..40 mil savings

while they where going to far i will still go with this

5- Philadelphia receives – RHP Felix Hernandez, pays $6 million of $9 million remaining salary
Seattle receives – LHP Jhordany Mezquita (20 years old, #26 prospect)

Seattle would get a young lefty from the Phillies in Mezquita. He would start the 2019 season at age 21, and likely be three to four years away from the big league level. He has the end of rotation ability and sits in the low 90’s. Getting the 16th ranked pitcher in the Phillies system would be a reasonable get for Felix Hernandez, and save the team around $3 million dollars. (This trade is different than the others, in that it wouldn’t happen until near the deadline of July 31st. His outgoing salary would be prorated to around $9 million. The Mariners could likely get a low tier pitching prospect in return. It wouldn’t help clear payroll this off-season, but it would help the team out still. The trade would look like this.)

save 3 mil

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats to Edwin Diaz- AL reliever of the year!! Was there ever any doubt?? Dude was lights out all season. :thumb::yes:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is why...this is how good he is....this is why they could ask ..and get