• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Los Angeles Lakers 2013-2014 Ongoing Thread

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they do hire Dunleavy, it would another homecoming like Farmar and many others.The they should sign Trevor Ariza which would be a very good homecoming.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm all in for Trevor Ariza, along with Swaggy & Farmar. That would be nice. :10:

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We may not have any other options TJF12 as the many candidate pool is rapidly drying up. I think if they got permission to talk to a staff member on the OKC, Bulls, or Spurs coaching staffs after the playoffs are complete, they may find the right good coach.

Why do you think the pool is rapidly drying up? The only coaches that have been hired are SVG and Kerr, and he was never even a target for LA. Same goes for Ollie at UConn. LA never even made formal contact with him and even with the new UConn deal, LA could easily outpay them if they wanted him. And SVG wasn't considered because he wanted more front office say. There are still plenty of teams that haven't hired a coach and coaches are out there. It's not like its musical chairs and the music has stopped. LA, and a few other teams, are really just now getting started.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do you think the pool is rapidly drying up? The only coaches that have been hired are SVG and Kerr, and he was never even a target for LA. Same goes for Ollie at UConn. LA never even made formal contact with him and even with the new UConn deal, LA could easily outpay them if they wanted him. And SVG wasn't considered because he wanted more front office say. There are still plenty of teams that haven't hired a coach and coaches are out there. It's not like its musical chairs and the music has stopped. LA, and a few other teams, are really just now getting started.

:agree: The SVG and Kerr hires were "panic moves" to a certain extent, imo. Kerr for the money he got and the criticism that GSW was getting for firing Mark Jackson and SVG to an extent because of the amount of power he wanted and got. The Lakers didn't give Phil the power SVG got, so no way they were giving that to someone who isn't Phil.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The news tonight is the Lakers have interviewed Dunleavy, Scott, and they have two other candidates in mind. Who else is there Turkey and TJF12? Who are these coaches that both of you both claim are still available that have a remote chance of getting the Lakers job? Jeff Van Gundy? Mark Jackson? The latter just signed a deal to go back in the booth to call NBA games. JVG has already been interviewed. So where is this expansive pool you both are claiming to be out there?

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whoever they want. They are literally just getting started. Mitch just has said they're going to take their time with it and aren't in a rush to hire anyone. You're confusing LA's lack of confirmed interviews with their being a lack of viable candidates.

And FWIW, Jackson going back to ESPN doesn't mean squat. They all have outs to return to the game. If LA, NY, or anyone offered him a job, he'd be gone. The ESPN gig is just something he likes doing and it keeps his name out there (which is how he got the job in the first place)

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So who are these "whoever they want" Turkey? Where is the vast coaching pool you claim is out there?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers have not released a list of candidates, which is how they always did things under Dr. Buss (and helps me to think Jim and Jeanie might finally be getting their "sea legs" as owners). Here is what Mitch said in an article I read this morning:

Mitch said that the Lakers will "interview significantly more than 3 or 4 candidates". He also said that this search will be "significantly more thorough" than the 2012 search when they fired Mike Brown and brought in D'Antoni over Phil and Dunleavy.

This process will be considerably longer for a bunch of different reasons. No. 1 we have a lot more time; No. 2 we don't really know what our team looks like, so there is no urgency now"
Kupchak added that the Lakers would prefer an experienced coach and that they do not intend to target a current head coach from another team.

Kupchak also said:

I'm sure names will come out within the next couple of days. We've started our process and we intend to continue the process in terms of talking to potential coaches, whether they're informal or formal interviews
In other words, we Lakers fans need to be patient because they are trying to do exactly what we all want, which is to get it right.