• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official 2018 Speculation Thread - Update - NHL says they are not participating

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like the Olympic hockey but really do not think it helped the NHL much if any at all. I think its a good move for the league.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's only one more corrupt organization in the world than the IOC and that's FIFA.

Reactions: gob

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's only one more corrupt organization in the world than the IOC and that's FIFA.
FIFA pays teams to borrow their players for international games and World Cups etc. and pays a premium if players get injured while on international duty.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FIFA pays teams to borrow their players for international games and World Cups etc. and pays a premium if players get injured while on international duty.

Yes, that's true and to your point BBB, both the IOC and FIFA are flush with cash, if the IOC was willing to pony up the dough the NHL is looking for, we would be seeing NHLers at the 2018 Games.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, that's true and to your point BBB, both the IOC and FIFA are flush with cash, if the IOC was willing to pony up the dough the NHL is looking for, we would be seeing NHLers at the 2018 Games.
Bingo.

The truth is the NHL is at the bottom of this food chain – the IOC, the NHLPA and NBC all benefit handsomely in one way or another from participation. The owners have 20 years of ledgers and TV ratings and other data to sell their case that they have absolutely not benefitted from this exercise since it began in 1998.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's be honest for a minute: if your team were contending in mid-February and then lost a star player at the Olympic Games for the remainder of the season, would the sight of Canuck or Yankee gold really dull the sorrow of a Cup opportunity disappearing? It wouldn’t for me. I don't think it would for many people here.

What the European players want is really beyond the point - if they want to play in a league that accepts the idea that Olympic hockey trumps their own product, let them sign for the KHL or the Allsvenskan or Dusseldorf Regionalliga or whatever. They'll be back here in a week asking for their $8 million salaries.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Let's be honest for a minute: if your team were contending in mid-February and then lost a star player at the Olympic Games for the remainder of the season, would the sight of Canuck or Yankee gold really dull the sorrow of a Cup opportunity disappearing? It wouldn’t for me. I don't think it would for many people here.

What the European players want is really beyond the point - if they want to play in a league that accepts the idea that Olympic hockey trumps their own product, let them sign for the KHL or the Allsvenskan or Dusseldorf Regionalliga or whatever. They'll be back here in a week asking for their $8 million salaries.
You lost me....

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's be honest for a minute: if your team were contending in mid-February and then lost a star player at the Olympic Games for the remainder of the season,

You mean like how the Isles lost Tavares in 2014 at the Sochi Games? Yeah, it's certainly a risk, although I guess I'm of the belief that the chance of injury at the Olympics is less due to a less physical style of game (generally speaking). It's a tough call though because I think most fans get excited about seeing their favo(u)rite players competing for their country (I know I will always look back fondly at the 2002 and 2010 Games because Iggy played a prominent role for Team Canada).

Duke of Douchington

Needle Mover
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never understand this "growing the game stuff" in regards to the Olympics. If you are going to the Olympics to watch hockey, you already know of hockey. If you prop up a domestic league like the NHL is trying to do with China, you are planting the seed. If you host exhibitions in China, you are planting the seed. That's not how it works with the Olympics.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mean like how the Isles lost Tavares in 2014 at the Sochi Games? Yeah, it's certainly a risk, although I guess I'm of the belief that the chance of injury at the Olympics is less due to a less physical style of game (generally speaking). It's a tough call though because I think most fans get excited about seeing their favo(u)rite players competing for their country (I know I will always look back fondly at the 2002 and 2010 Games because Iggy played a prominent role for Team Canada).
Sens lost Hasek in 06 and while Emery wasn't awful you gotta think having a guy like him in for that playoff run would've given the Sens a better chance.

Cujo broke his hand in 2002 and while he did come back in time for the playoffs and the Leafs did get to the conference final that year his sv% was down pretty significantly from the two previous playoff runs.

The risk is lower but it has happened.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never understand this "growing the game stuff" in regards to the Olympics. If you are going to the Olympics to watch hockey, you already know of hockey. If you prop up a domestic league like the NHL is trying to do with China, you are planting the seed. If you host exhibitions in China, you are planting the seed. That's not how it works with the Olympics.

let me first say that i will side with the viewpoint that, in north america, presence at the Olympics doesnt sell the league ... they havent experienced any significant uptick from it in terms of direct ticket sales

But in global terms, I liken your examples of "planting the seed" to hand planting versus the olympics which is using a sowing machine. Those preseason exhibition games are not going to move the meter at all especially when there is a likelihood the better players wont play (although the NHL will try to force this :noidea: ).

I think what Bettman is truly trying to do with these small initiatives (exhibition games) in china is get the chinese govt/ooc on their side in terms of saying to/putting pressure on the ioc ... "we want the nhlers here" ... and the end goal is for the NHL to get the marketing rights that they rightfully deserve ... the NHL would 100% sacrifice the Korea games in order to get into the 2022 games if it meant gettiing some marketing/broadcast rights

I also think with yesterdays move, the IOC is going to feel some heat from NBC

Last edited:

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bob mac asked this same question in the cesspool this morning ... but from a players perspective ... this could totally tear up some dressing rooms

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bob mac asked this same question in the cesspool this morning ... but from a players perspective ... this could totally tear up some dressing rooms
Very true.

Interesting to see how some of the more prominent North American guys handle questions about it today since most teams were off last night.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as 'growing the game'; wait until the preseason games in China. This league is going to be huge.

Plus there are 38 outdoor games next season. 14 of them will include performances by Third Eye Blind. So I think this league is in great shape.

I wonder if Emelin says hes going to go anyway if the NHL changes its mind?

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as 'growing the game'; wait until the preseason games in China. This league is going to be huge.

Plus there are 38 outdoor games next season. 14 of them will include performances by Third Eye Blind. So I think this league is in great shape.

I wonder if Emelin says hes going to go anyway if the NHL changes its mind?

So, you're saying the NHL is a grower, not a shower.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have replaced Third Eye Blind with Kajagoogoo (or one of comeds' favo(u)rites Taco), but aside from that, that was a pretty good post.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If I'm a role player or old dude on the downslope of his career and my team's star bailed on us to go (assuming no NHL shutdown), I would REALLY be pissed at that dude. If I'm a coach, I'd be more angry at him.

On Hockey Central, they are talking about any player who goes against the league get suspended for the remainder of the season once they come back.

That's throwing gas on the fire. No way the league does it it because they would never suspend the types of stars that would go, but it's an interesting thought.

I would have replaced Third Eye Blind with Kajagoogoo (or one of comeds' favo(u)rites Taco), but aside from that, that was a pretty good post.

As long as no one picks on O.A.R.!

And damn you dash. Now I want Tacos.