• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official 2014 Texas Rangers Spring Training Thread

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah me neither. I just thought I'd throw that out there. I want Harrison to hurry back, Ogando in the rotation, and either Lewis or Tepesch as the 5th. That's where I stand right now anyways.

I'll take the best/healthiest of any 3; Kirkman, Saunders, Hanson, Ogando, Tepesch or Lewis

I already have my doubts about Hanson

I'll cut Lewis some slack early on b/c he's basically learned to re-pitch with his re-surfaced hip

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kirkman is out of options so if he is not on the MLB roster with the Rangers he would probably be gone. I agree on the Colby part as that may be best.

I thought Kirkman had one more. Guess not. Well, maybe in can be the long man from the BP if he doesn't impressive with the starters opportunity.

Interesting conversation from Wash today on ESPN regarding Feliz. He said the closer position was wide open, Feliz is only hitting 91 on the gun, and they want to make sure he's healthy. But then he said, "We'll see if he can get the speed back, IF HE'S STILL GOT THAT IN HIM."

Kind of surprised me. I thought he was firmly in control of the closer position. Again, I guess not.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'll take the best/healthiest of any 3; Kirkman, Saunders, Hanson, Ogando, Tepesch or Lewis

I already have my doubts about Hanson

I'll cut Lewis some slack early on b/c he's basically learned to re-pitch with his re-surfaced hip

Yea ... unfortunately having to go with 'best/healthiest' option.

There is something about Hanson for me that is unsettling. Kinda reminds me of Joe Nathan nervous fidgeting that always drove me nuts. Can't imagine having to deal with an SP that does that for inning after inning. That can't be healthy.

When you look at all the options ... can't see any way for Tepesch to not be in the rotation. Lots of grizzled veterans competing with him ... but at the end of the day if he is pitching better than they are ... it serves TEX more than a guy (even Colby) whose baseball life ends in 2014 no matter what.

Ogando gave up 4H, 2ER in his 2.0IP in one game and that's not decide anything. He's going to be in the rotation. TEX isn't going to waste Ogando on the long relief job ... so in a bullpen of Feliz, Soria, Sheppers (it appears), Frasor, Cotts and Ross (it appears) there is no room for Ogando. Only way there is room for Ogando is if TEX were to reconsider Scheppers as an SP and start him down at Round Rock. I don't think that's happening.

Given that the #5 spot isn't needed right away ... I'm betting Kirkman is on the roster out of camp and gets to make the #5 job. The idea of him coming out of the bullpen in either short or long role has not worked and caused regression. Couple of us here have all said it ... Kirkman is a starting pitcher ... he's not a relief pitcher ... maybe an SP for TEX ... but if not TEX he will for somebody else.

As for the other guys ... I still think Colby if he's healthy is worth a shot at #5 or the long relief job so he's real close to being in the action. Saunders is an interesting acquisition. I don't know where DMN news got those 68% stats (article must be behind the paywall I couldn't find it to find out who wrote it). Saunders eats innings and is a better option as far as I am concerned than Hanson.

I worry about Harrison getting up to speed. He has never been a fast guy getting ready and needs long gradual buildup. Maybe I am over-worrying about him ... but the track record is not at all good.

I think its going to look something like Yu - Perez - Ogando - Tepesch - Kirkman/Saunders with Colby in long relief. But we all pretty much are speculating. I know I am.

Takes 10 ... I do know that.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea ... unfortunately having to go with 'best/healthiest' option.

There is something about Hanson for me that is unsettling. Kinda reminds me of Joe Nathan nervous fidgeting that always drove me nuts. Can't imagine having to deal with an SP that does that for inning after inning. That can't be healthy.

When you look at all the options ... can't see any way for Tepesch to not be in the rotation. Lots of grizzled veterans competing with him ... but at the end of the day if he is pitching better than they are ... it serves TEX more than a guy (even Colby) whose baseball life ends in 2014 no matter what.

Ogando gave up 4H, 2ER in his 2.0IP in one game and that's not decide anything. He's going to be in the rotation. TEX isn't going to waste Ogando on the long relief job ... so in a bullpen of Feliz, Soria, Sheppers (it appears), Frasor, Cotts and Ross (it appears) there is no room for Ogando. Only way there is room for Ogando is if TEX were to reconsider Scheppers as an SP and start him down at Round Rock. I don't think that's happening.

Given that the #5 spot isn't needed right away ... I'm betting Kirkman is on the roster out of camp and gets to make the #5 job. The idea of him coming out of the bullpen in either short or long role has not worked and caused regression. Couple of us here have all said it ... Kirkman is a starting pitcher ... he's not a relief pitcher ... maybe an SP for TEX ... but if not TEX he will for somebody else.

As for the other guys ... I still think Colby if he's healthy is worth a shot at #5 or the long relief job so he's real close to being in the action. Saunders is an interesting acquisition. I don't know where DMN news got those 68% stats (article must be behind the paywall I couldn't find it to find out who wrote it). Saunders eats innings and is a better option as far as I am concerned than Hanson.

I worry about Harrison getting up to speed. He has never been a fast guy getting ready and needs long gradual buildup. Maybe I am over-worrying about him ... but the track record is not at all good.

I think its going to look something like Yu - Perez - Ogando - Tepesch - Kirkman/Saunders with Colby in long relief. But we all pretty much are speculating. I know I am.

Takes 10 ... I do know that.

Think you see Ross in AAA before Scheppers

I'm more of a, "Ogando is in the rotation...?" kinda guy I'm pretty sure, but after I say it someone might ask me if I was making a statement or asking a question

Like I've said I'm not sure how just about any of this plays out, just b/c almost everyone has questions about them, even Perez has questions b/c of his lack of experience, but one of those questions is not "will he start the year in the rotation?"

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want Harrison back too but lets not forget how much he struggled in the only games he played last year. Hopefully all of those struggles were due to his back though and they will be gone along with the back pain. I still really don't expect him to as effect right out of the gate but hopefully as the season moves on he will find his groove.

I feel very positive he was injured out of the gate even though he tried to pitch that 1st game against the Astros.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am still on a wait and see attitude with Hanson but I was watching a replay of the triple and I know it was hit to the warning track but that was a very catchable ball for Martin.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Windying............ it serves TEX more than a guy (even Colby) whose baseball life ends in 2014 no matter what.

"No Matter What." Why? If he pitches decent this season, he'll definitely pitch again in 15, and beyond. He's certainly not young (34), but he's far from ancient.

This year determines if he can pitch or not for sure. I'll grant you if he doesn't pitch this season, and competitively, then 2014 is it. But IF he earns a spot with the team for 14, he may have several more seasons in him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Windying............ it serves TEX more than a guy (even Colby) whose baseball life ends in 2014 no matter what.

"No Matter What." Why? If he pitches decent this season, he'll definitely pitch again in 15, and beyond. He's certainly not young (34), but he's far from ancient.

This year determines if he can pitch or not for sure. I'll grant you if he doesn't pitch this season, and competitively, then 2014 is it. But IF he earns a spot with the team for 14, he may have several more seasons in him.

Sure -- I hope Colby earns a spot on the roster in the rotation and comes back to contribute in 2015 would mean he was lights out ... not just an inning eater in 2014. He could be the 2015 #5 ... would rather have him than Hanson for sure ... and if he can eat innings like Saunders ... that would be great.

But -- if it comes down to Saunders or Colby at the top of their game ... Saunders is 2 years younger and his 2013 51.2% GB% (career 46.0%) versus Colby's 2012 33% GB% (career 36.9%) ought to make Saunders the choice. Consider the big GB hero most recently is Matt Harrison ... 2012 49.0% GB% (career 46.7%). Saunders replicates 2013 or replicates his career GB% he takes over as the GB king.

If you are spending all that money on the best defensive infield ... get pitchers in the rotation that keep them busy ... not the OF.

But your reply was in response to my perspective on Tepesch. What I said was ...

I'll come off the the '2014 no matter what' ... but if Tepesch is pitching better ... head to head it benefits TEX more in the long run than would Hanson, Sauders or Colby.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll come off the the '2014 no matter what' ... but if Tepesch is pitching better ... head to head it benefits TEX more in the long run than would Hanson, Sauders or Colby.

Agreed; I think. haha

The reason I say this is Tep may have options left, the other 3 certainly don't. So if it's close, keep one of the older guys. We both know someone, sometime is going to run outta gas, injury, whatever and we'll need that guy getting those innings in AAA.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Agreed; I think. haha

The reason I say this is Tep may have options left, the other 3 certainly don't. So if it's close, keep one of the older guys. We both know someone, sometime is going to run outta gas, injury, whatever and we'll need that guy getting those innings in AAA.

It was close last year ... and Tepesch made the rotation out of camp. Understand your point though. Takes 10.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see that Choice had 2 more hits.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB Net is airing a replay of the game. Profar's grand slam is coming up soon.