• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official 2014 Texas Rangers Spring Training Thread

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've not been on as much as I once was, but I was wondering, where is Terps?

He contributed and had lots of good info it seemed and I haven't seen him in a while.

Anyone know?

Looks like he has still been around... just posting on the Stars OT thread

Last edited by a moderator:

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just looking at the box score with no commentary or without reading any print, it seems he started the 7th and gave up 4 hits and walked 2 while surrendering 6 earned runs. Looks like he was relieved with two outs and base runners he was still accountable for when armando rodriguez came in and gave up a hit that scored 2 more runs going on his line. All in all it had to be frustrating, even this early

OUCH...6 earned runs, not fun.
Yup, no question he was likely, extremely frustrated.

Better now than later, he'll tune up and shake it off.
Most importantly, glad not to be hearing about any injury, thanks for the info.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've not been on as much as I once was, but I was wondering, where is Terps?

He contributed and had lots of good info it seemed and I haven't seen him in a while.

Anyone know?

If I'm remembering correctly, Terps had a heavy presence on the boards during last off-season. Then he showed back up once the season got rolling, game threads, etc.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LHP Matt Harrison reported no problems after throwing from the top of the mound. “So far, so good,” Washington said.

Daniels said the club has not determined if two other candidates, left-hander Robbie Ross and right-hander Tanner Scheppers, should return to the bullpen, but that is likely. That would leave, with the current roster, Hanson and Saunders competing for the final rotation spot.

Saunders had the fifth-highest ground-ball rate in the majors last season at 68 percent. The problem was Seattle’s infield, particularly on the left side, did not make plays. Right-handed hitters pulled pitches through the left side, and Saunders went 11-16 with a 5.26 ERA, nearly a run more than his career figure.

These from the DMN today.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LHP Matt Harrison reported no problems after throwing from the top of the mound. “So far, so good,” Washington said.

Daniels said the club has not determined if two other candidates, left-hander Robbie Ross and right-hander Tanner Scheppers, should return to the bullpen, but that is likely. That would leave, with the current roster, Hanson and Saunders competing for the final rotation spot.

Saunders had the fifth-highest ground-ball rate in the majors last season at 68 percent. The problem was Seattle’s infield, particularly on the left side, did not make plays. Right-handed hitters pulled pitches through the left side, and Saunders went 11-16 with a 5.26 ERA, nearly a run more than his career figure.

Fangraphs has 51% listed for GB%, which is still really good... I've never seen anything over 60% on there

where did they get 68% from? maybe 68% of his outs came via the ground ball? and 51% of his total balls in play were groundballs? No clue :noidea:

Seager, Miller and Franklin all have below average range, and they played a good amount at 3B, SS & 2B last year

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fangraphs has 51% listed for GB%, which is still really good... I've never seen anything over 60% on there

where did they get 68% from? maybe 68% of his outs came via the ground ball? and 51% of his total balls in play were groundballs? No clue :noidea:

Seager, Miller and Franklin all have below average range, and they played a good amount at 3B, SS & 2B last year

Read Miller's numbers wrong, he and Ryan probably gave the Mariners solid play at SS all year

But forgot about Ackley and he wasn't very good at 2B either

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They forgot about Tepesch and kirkman.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2/3 of an inning, 4 hits, 2 walks and 6 runs, I'm thinking he hit his pitch limit moreso than anything

I missed this response to my question, pitch limit makes the most sense.
just jumpy about any more injuries

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Perhaps I missed it....but I guess this means Lewis is a forgone conclusion to make the staff then?

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, just a lot of bad writing there

Nothing is foregone b/c so many people were left out of the mix on that

I'm interrupting this a little differently.

The club "may be delighted" to have Saunders step up, stay healthy and earn the # 5 spot. This would allow the team to send Kirkman, Tepesch to AAA to start the season, and put Colby on the DL to allow him to stretch out with no pressure.

I might just be pie-in-the-sky with optimism here. But the "needing 10 starters for the season" applies here.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm interrupting this a little differently.

The club "may be delighted" to have Saunders step up, stay healthy and earn the # 5 spot. This would allow the team to send Kirkman, Tepesch to AAA to start the season, and put Colby on the DL to allow him to stretch out with no pressure.

I might just be pie-in-the-sky with optimism here. But the "needing 10 starters for the season" applies here.

Kirkman is out of options so if he is not on the MLB roster with the Rangers he would probably be gone. I agree on the Colby part as that may be best.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I definitely see Tepesch as just as likely an option as either Hanson or Saunders, Kirkman a darkhorse for sure

The radio guys were talking about how they weren't impressed with Hanson at all. The main reason was he wasn't missing any bats with his fastball. Hanson knew it and was going to his slider.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The radio guys were talking about how they weren't impressed with Hanson at all. The main reason was he wasn't missing any bats with his fastball. Hanson knew it and was going to his slider.

Yeah I had heard his outing wasn't impressive but I'm not really ruling anyone out yet after just a couple innings

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I had heard his outing wasn't impressive but I'm not really ruling anyone out yet after just a couple innings

Yeah me neither. I just thought I'd throw that out there. I want Harrison to hurry back, Ogando in the rotation, and either Lewis or Tepesch as the 5th. That's where I stand right now anyways.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of Ogando...I don't think he's thrown in a game this spring. Anyone know why?

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah me neither. I just thought I'd throw that out there. I want Harrison to hurry back, Ogando in the rotation, and either Lewis or Tepesch as the 5th. That's where I stand right now anyways.

I want Harrison back too but lets not forget how much he struggled in the only games he played last year. Hopefully all of those struggles were due to his back though and they will be gone along with the back pain. I still really don't expect him to as effect right out of the gate but hopefully as the season moves on he will find his groove.