• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official 2014 Texas Rangers Spring Training Thread

gregrey972

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the Cobra didn't have his good stuff or control today it doesn't appear :-(

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
7 of the last 14 games are against the A's this season, with the last 4 at home. The 3 before that are against the Astros. That should be interesting and important.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kouzmanoff is playing well, and I don't know how you're going to keep Choice off the ML roster. Choice with an RBI triple.

Last edited by a moderator:

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kouzmanoff is playing well, and I don't know how you're going to keep Choice off the ML roster. Choice with an RBI triple.

Easy, by using common sense, unless you move Moreland, don't see Choice getting the ABs needed to be at the ML level

The Commish

Texas Rangers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Can't really make that decision based on the first 4 ST games. Give it some time.

Good to see him kicking ass though.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Easy, by using common sense, unless you move Moreland, don't see Choice getting the ABs needed to be at the ML level

It's not just taking Mitch's ABs. He could get ABs from Martin, Choo, and Rios. Common sense should have told you that. Commish is right though. It's early, but the kid is showing why we traded for him.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not just taking Mitch's ABs. He could get ABs from Martin, Choo, and Rios. Common sense should have told you that. Commish is right though. It's early, but the kid is showing why we traded for him.

If we are talking about a LH hitter that is one thing on who is on the mound but a RH hitter to me for the most part does not matter if the guy pitching is RH or LH. And there is no guarantee on what we will see out of Martin. But ST will help weed some of this out.

Glad to see Nick pitch well today.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If we are talking about a LH hitter that is one thing on who is on the mound but a RH hitter to me for the most part does not matter if the guy pitching is RH or LH. And there is no guarantee on what we will see out of Martin. But ST will help weed some of this out.

Glad to see Nick pitch well today.

No reason why TEX doesn't carry 5OF. But if carrying 4OF ... or 5OF ... I would suggest that more than one of them be able to play CF.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah I don't see it, and sorry that's not common sense, its your opinion at this point, but Choice's opportunities are far too limited at the ML level unless something happens

Sitting the bench at the ML level 3 days a week isn't any good for the kid

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I don't see it, and sorry that's not common sense, its your opinion at this point, but Choice's opportunities are far too limited at the ML level unless something happens

It is common sense that he could play the OF to get some ABs in place of Martin, Choo, or Rios. That's not an opinion.

Broseidon

M.F.C.E.O.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you're a 100% correct.

But ya know, at some point, a player can just tell the union to kiss off. That's the truth. He doesn't report to them, and frankly, it would be good for a player to finally stand up and take a lower contract based upon the team making commitments to improve in other areas - like getting him some protection - and make the most of it. Screw the union.

Besides, is it some kind of massive blow to the union, other players, that a guy took $190 mil rather than $240?

I think the union might classify $50 million as a blow. I don't think a player would want to set that precedent and cost future players potential money. As a fan it would be refreshing for a player to take less money for the teams benefit, but I wouldn't fault any player for taking most money available (I sure as hell would take the cash) I'd just expect the player to tow the company line and not bemoan the lack of talent.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sitting the bench 3 days a week is probably not ideal for the kid. I never said it was. I just said it's going to be hard to keep him off the ML roster. Don't tell me they would have to trade Mitch for it to happen because that's just not true. They could get him enough ABs to justify it, if they choose too.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is common sense that he could play the OF to get some ABs in place of Martin, Choo, or Rios. That's not an opinion.

I don't see him stealing ABs from any of those guys and not enough to make it worth having on the ML roster

I stand by the fact that this kid shouldn't be sitting on the bench 3 days a week trying to snake ABs from Moreland, Rios, Choo and Martin

Broseidon

M.F.C.E.O.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sitting the bench 3 days a week is probably not ideal for the kid. I never said it was. I just said it's going to be hard to keep him off the ML roster. Don't tell me they would have to trade Mitch for it to happen because that's just not true. They could get him enough ABs to justify it, if they choose too.

If he's only on the bench 3 days a week and he's the best offensive option we have the other 4, I'm all for it.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would not take the bat out of the hands of Choo or Rios with a rookie who is yet to be proven and he can best do that in AAA. I think rushing him to ML is a mistake.

Broseidon

M.F.C.E.O.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would not take the bat out of the hands of Choo or Rios with a rookie who is yet to be proven and he can best do that in AAA. I think rushing him to ML is a mistake.

He won't be able to prove he can handle MLB pitching in AAA.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the union might classify $50 million as a blow. I don't think a player would want to set that precedent and cost future players potential money. As a fan it would be refreshing for a player to take less money for the teams benefit, but I wouldn't fault any player for taking most money available (I sure as hell would take the cash) I'd just expect the player to tow the company line and not bemoan the lack of talent.

Playing devils advocate: First, fuck the union. If I'm the player, it's my check, my life and my legacy. Second, if the team spends the $50 mil on other players (like say Santana and Morales in this case) then it's left pocket, right pocket. Same amount of money being spent.

But you're right, and I know it. hahaha

Cano's timing on complaining about the lineup is absurd.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He won't be able to prove he can handle MLB pitching in AAA.

Why do you think he is different than other AAA players?

Personally I'd like to see an improvement on his 14 HRs over last year, its not like he doesn't have anything to prove at the AAA level, b/c he does