• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official 2014 Texas Rangers Spring Training Thread

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who pitched the 2nd inning and gave up 2 runs?

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ouch... lets just blame this one on the training aspect of ST... is this one televised? About to just give in and buy the app... that's a pretty cheap investment considering all you get.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Subliminal messages? No, I think it means something that Choice is starting against a RH pitcher for a LH Leonys and not Beltre. It could just be that Wash knows what he has in Beltre already.

Sorry....poor choice of words.

As was stated later, to me it's just a matter of finding out what we've got in Choice. In fairness to Wash and the coaching staff, they really haven't seen nor worked with him yet. Might as well put him out there and see if he could handle some games in CF.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terrible day for the Rangers pitchers. Ogando, Contreras, and now Burns.

Can't see much happening with Contreras ever and for now not with Burns so that is okay.

Broseidon

M.F.C.E.O.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Broseidon.........I'm confused by you continually saying we'll resign Rios for 2015.

According to you, Choice will get more time at the MLB level this season because of his talent. If he's this talented this year, why wouldn't he be ready to be an everyday player, ala RF, next year?

Help me out please.

I'm just saying we're gonna pick up Rios' option no matter what. There's no reason not to. We can pick up the option and keep him for 13.5 million or we can pick him up and trade him in the offseason when the FA market for OF is weak.

My prediction of Choice spending more time in MLB than AAA was just a guess bc I think that's how JD rolls (see Profar 2013). I wasn't saying he'd be the starter next year, just that he'll get plenty of MLB coffee this year, even if its on the bench. And, again, I'm not saying he should be in Arlington, just that I think he will

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just saying we're gonna pick up Rios' option no matter what. There's no reason not to. We can pick up the option and keep him for 13.5 million or we can pick him up and trade him in the offseason when the FA market for OF is weak.

My prediction of Choice spending more time in MLB than AAA was just a guess bc I think that's how JD rolls (see Profar 2013). I wasn't saying he'd be the starter next year, just that he'll get plenty of MLB coffee this year, even if its on the bench. And, again, I'm not saying he should be in Arlington, just that I think he will

We're just not going to get on the same page me thinks.

First, we're a few days into ST 2014 and I'm not going to speculate on what "will" happen in 2015.

Second, Daniels has been GM since 2005 and you refer only to Profar on why Choice will be in Arlington. And I'm pretty sure if we had 2013 to do over again, Profar wouldn't have been utilized the way he was. It was a flawed plan for the get go and everyone from the FO to the coaching staff has been been open about this.

But hey, it's just opinions and I'm moving on.

Broseidon

M.F.C.E.O.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're just not going to get on the same page me thinks.

First, we're a few days into ST 2014 and I'm not going to speculate on what "will" happen in 2015.

Second, Daniels has been GM since 2005 and you refer only to Profar on why Choice will be in Arlington. And I'm pretty sure if we had 2013 to do over again, Profar wouldn't have been utilized the way he was. It was a flawed plan for the get go and everyone from the FO to the coaching staff has been been open about this.

But hey, it's just opinions and I'm moving on.

Fair enough, sir. But, remember, when we pick up Rios' option...you heard it here first!

Btw, I agree it's dumb to bring kids to ride the pine. I'm not saying it should happen with Choice, just that I think it will.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He'd make plenty of rosters as a fourth outfielder.

We'll see how it works out ... Borbon made last year's roster as 4OF because he was out of options too. I don't consider Beltre any better than Borbon was. If he was so good ... he wouldn't be out of options. At least by the time Borbon had run out of options he'd been on TEX ML roster for three years. Beltre hasn't.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll see how it works out ... Borbon made last year's roster as 4OF because he was out of options too. I don't consider Beltre any better than Borbon was. If he was so good ... he wouldn't be out of options. At least by the time Borbon had run out of options he'd been on TEX ML roster for three years. Beltre hasn't.

I see where you're coming from.

The difference between the two IMO, is Borbon just wasn't a major league talent. Still isn't. But Beltre has talent, but his mentally commitment is very poor.

It was Wash or JD, and I think Wash, who said it's up to him if he wants to play the game the right way, because he's got the physical tools.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Borbon was out of options. Beltre wasn't. We also had this guy named Craig Gentry too.

Broseidon

M.F.C.E.O.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh oh. Ms had to shut down Taijuan Walker with bursa inflammation in his shoulder. Hopefully it's nothing major.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Borbon was out of options. Beltre wasn't. We also had this guy named Craig Gentry too.

Borbon played 215 games for TEX across three season before he was established as TEX 4OF (or 5OF) ... out of options. Beltre has played 22 games for TEX in one season before he might be established as TEX 4OF... out of options.

You can't spin that Beltre is the prototypical 4OF that any ML roster would love to have ... and spin that he's far superior than Borbon ... when the delta between Borbon and Beltre ML-history is 193 games.

Fact is Borbon and Beltre made their first ML appearances when they were both 23yo. The difference is one of them had three options remaining ... while the other was playing in his last option year.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Borbon played 215 games for TEX across three season before he was established as TEX 4OF (or 5OF) ... out of options. Beltre has played 22 games for TEX in one season before he might be established as TEX 4OF... out of options.

You can't spin that Beltre is the prototypical 4OF that any ML roster would love to have ... and spin that he's far superior than Borbon ... when the delta between Borbon and Beltre ML-history is 193 games.

Fact is Borbon and Beltre made their first ML appearances when they were both 23yo. The difference is one of them had three options remaining ... while the other was playing in his last option year.

All the options shows is that Beltre was signed as an international player and was in the minor leagues at a much younger age than Borbon who went to Tennessee for college, therefore Beltre "burned" through his options by being in the minor leagues as a youngster, not being called up and down repeatedly, as Borbon was

I'm not going to argue one way or the other as to who is better, but I'm guessing it was Borbon, but the options thing is a separate issue

Beltre was just never good enough to really be more than a 4th OFer, never took that next step, and fact is neither was Borbon

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
All the options shows is that Beltre was signed as an international player and was in the minor leagues at a much younger age than Borbon who went to Tennessee for college, therefore Beltre "burned" through his options by being in the minor leagues as a youngster, not being called up and down repeatedly, as Borbon was

I'm not going to argue one way or the other as to who is better, but I'm guessing it was Borbon, but the options thing is a separate issue

Beltre was just never good enough to really be more than a 4th OFer, never took that next step, and fact is neither was Borbon

I agree. He may earn his roster sport as 4OF yet ... but to earn a roster spot simply because you are out of options shortchanges legitimate better 4OF options ... which I agree should not include Choice who needs to play every day.