• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official 2014 Texas Rangers Spring Training Thread

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was hoping We'd get Cruz back too...he wanted to come back , O's will give him playing time in the outfield. Rangers could only offer him a mostly DH position.

Yup, I knew we would have to trade Mitch for it to work. I said before ST started that I had a feeling JD was ready to move on from some more of the core. I thought Nelly would come back. When we signed Choo is became less likely.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beltre has been in The system 7 years, the only reason the Rangers are giving him a shot to make the club is he's out of options. He wouldn't make most teams rosters.

He'd make plenty of rosters as a fourth outfielder.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup, I knew we would have to trade Mitch for it to work. I said before ST started that I had a feeling JD was ready to move on from some more of the core. I thought Nelly would come back. When we signed Choo is became less likely.

I meant free agency, not ST

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I noticed the conversation about Choice and whether he will be in the majors this year. On the depth chart he is under Leonys. He might get plenty of AB's platooning with Martin. He is starting in CF today. Choice might get to play every time a lefty is on the mound whether it's for Martin, Choo, or MM. I'm kind of on the fence whether that's enough AB's for him though. I know Beltre is out of options but it doesn't make a lot of sense backing up lefties that struggle against lefties with another lefty that isn't a good hitter.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I noticed the conversation about Choice and whether he will be in the majors this year. On the depth chart he is under Leonys. He might get plenty of AB's platooning with Martin. He is starting in CF today. Choice might get to play every time a lefty is on the mound whether it's for Martin, Choo, or MM. I'm kind of on the fence whether that's enough AB's for him though. I know Beltre is out of options but it doesn't make a lot of sense backing up lefties that struggle against lefties with another lefty that isn't a good hitter.

Martin won't be postponing. He's or every day center fielder.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, if Choice is on the ML roster he will get some AB's in CF against lefties. The only way he won't is if Martin suddenly starts hitting lefties.

Same as Gentry.

He'll get some. But it won't be a platoon situation.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Broseidon.........I'm confused by you continually saying we'll resign Rios for 2015.

According to you, Choice will get more time at the MLB level this season because of his talent. If he's this talented this year, why wouldn't he be ready to be an everyday player, ala RF, next year?

Help me out please.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'll get some. But it won't be a platoon situation.

Like I said I think he will platoon with all 3, and that's how they'll get him his AB's. My definition of platoon is split time. He's starting against the RH Shields today. I could be wrong and they start him in AAA, who knows.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Martin won't be postponing. He's or every day center fielder.
True. Martin is not that great at the plate himself so he needs every AB he can get. Sharing AB's would not be good for either guy.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In regards to Choice and Beltre, the only things I have said here is based on what I've read from numerous sources. I have no ax to grind nor banner to wave for either one of these guys.

But everything I've read/heard is the 4th OF position is Beltre's to lose. And almost to a voice, most feel Choice would benefit with seasoning in AAA, at least for part of the season. If he forces the issue by hitting great, then so be it. The Rangers benefit.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In regards to Choice and Beltre, the only things I have said here is based on what I've read from numerous sources. I have no ax to grind nor banner to wave for either one of these guys.

But everything I've read/heard is the 4th OF position is Beltre's to lose. And almost to a voice, most feel Choice would benefit with seasoning in AAA, at least for part of the season. If he forces the issue by hitting great, then so be it. The Rangers benefit.

While that's very possible, Beltre hasn't started either game, and I don't think he even played yesterday. I know it's only the 2nd game, and maybe Wash is just trying to get a feel for Choice, but I think it still means something.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While that's very possible, Beltre hasn't started either game, and I don't think he even played yesterday. I know it's only the 2nd game, and maybe Wash is just trying to get a feel for Choice, but I think it still means something.

After 2 whole ST games you think there's subliminal messages going on? And from Wash. Can't imagine this is true (1) and (2) can't imagine Wash would even know what this means.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After 2 whole ST games you think there's subliminal messages going on? And from Wash. Can't imagine this is true (1) and (2) can't imagine Wash would even know what this means.

Subliminal messages? No, I think it means something that Choice is starting against a RH pitcher for a LH Leonys and not Beltre. It could just be that Wash knows what he has in Beltre already.

Last edited by a moderator:

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Subliminal messages? No, I think it means something that Choice is starting against a RH pitcher for a LH Leonys and not Beltre. It could just be that Wash knows what he has in Beltre already.

I think the team wants to see what they have in choice.