• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official 2014 Texas Rangers Spring Training Thread

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Engel is definitely a good defensive OF, so he'll probably break camp with the Rangers, but I think that has a lot to do with him being out of options. And, maybe you're right about Choice not being ready to play in the bigs, which would make it even more likely that Rios is back in 2015. That was my main point.

Personally, I don't think Choice is that far from being ML ready. I mean, he's 24 and batted over .300 in AAA last year. Beltre's defense, and especially his ability to play CF, gives him the edge for 4th OF out of camp.

If Choice isn't playing every day, he needs to be getting ABs every day somewhere, and thats AAA

Beltre, while talented, is a fringy OFer at the ML level anyway, and fills the role prefectly, no reason to let Choice rot on the bench just b/c he might be slightly better than Beltre right now

I don't doubt he's ML ready now or close, but there's no ABs for him, so lets not waste his age 24 season on the bench

Broseidon

M.F.C.E.O.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Choice isn't playing every day, he needs to be getting ABs every day somewhere, and thats AAA

Beltre, while talented, is a fringy OFer at the ML level anyway, and fills the role prefectly, no reason to let Choice rot on the bench just b/c he might be slightly better than Beltre right now

I don't doubt he's ML ready now or close, but there's no ABs for him, so lets not waste his age 24 season on the bench

I don't disagree about him needing to play everyday. I was just predicting that Choice is going to be on the MLB roster more than in AAA. I wasn't saying that he should, just that he probably will bc of his batting ability.

And I still think that, baring an abysmal season from Rios, the Rangers pick up his 2015 option. If only to trade him in the offseason.

Rudy_Rangerfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm beginning to think Beane pulled a fast one on us ..still don't understand why the piece of shit A's gave up on him, then I heard Norm on ticket.

" Making the jump to the Texas League, Choice saw his power evaporate, dropping from 30 HRs in 2011 to 10 homers in 402 plate appearances in 2012, while putting up a .287/.356/.423 slash line. Choice also suffered a broken hand in late July that cut his season short. As a result, he fell out of the BA, MLB.com and Law top 100 lists, though BP had him at #82. Sickels kept him as a grade B, and he didn't make the BA Texas League Top 20 prospect list, with both Sickels and BA expressing concerns about his contact rates."

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm beginning to think Beane pulled a fast one on us ..still don't understand why the piece of shit A's gave up on him, then I heard Norm on ticket.

" Making the jump to the Texas League, Choice saw his power evaporate, dropping from 30 HRs in 2011 to 10 homers in 402 plate appearances in 2012, while putting up a .287/.356/.423 slash line. Choice also suffered a broken hand in late July that cut his season short. As a result, he fell out of the BA, MLB.com and Law top 100 lists, though BP had him at #82. Sickels kept him as a grade B, and he didn't make the BA Texas League Top 20 prospect list, with both Sickels and BA expressing concerns about his contact rates."

Trust the rangers scouting team. They did their homework.

Rudy_Rangerfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beltre probably gets the fourth outfielder position and should. He's the ideal fit. Great defender, and fast as hell.

Beltre has been in The system 7 years, the only reason the Rangers are giving him a shot to make the club is he's out of options. He wouldn't make most teams rosters.

Rudy_Rangerfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trust the rangers scouting team. They did their homework.

I hope your right ....Uncle Festes "Evan Grant" ....had this in his column....

"It’s understandable that Rangers field staff isn’t exactly sure of what they have in Choice. They’ve yet to see him play regularly after acquiring him from Oakland for Craig Gentry in November. He took a handful of at-bats last September, including six against Texas. Those at-bats proved nothing.
At Triple-A Sacramento, though, Choice hit .308 against lefties with a .414 OBP last year. That can’t be ignored. With no attractive solution against lefties other than to use the second catcher the Rangers want to see if Choice can handle lefties adequately."

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't prove a thing..... If I recall correctly, Moreland had a very good spring last year. He could hit .700 against minor league competition for all I care. He has to do it in the regular season or get the **** out.

All I was doing was updating people that weren't able to listen to it during the game.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I was doing was updating people that weren't able to listen to it during the game.

I know man..... I just like showing my disdain for Moreland at every opportunity. We should have better. Most DH's don't hit as low as 6th in the American League. I think they really dropped the ball by not signing Morales or Cruz, that lineup would've been killer. I'll gladly eat crow if Moreland has a good year. I guess we'll see if he makes it to the all star break in one piece.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know man..... I just like showing my disdain for Moreland at every opportunity. We should have better. Most DH's don't hit as low as 6th in the American League. I think they really dropped the ball by not signing Morales or Cruz, that lineup would've been killer. I'll gladly eat crow if Moreland has a good year. I guess we'll see if he makes it to the all star break in one piece.
:L:doh::lame:

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And we get sick of hearing you bitch.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why so much hate towards him? I know he hasn't been consistent, but he's also shown what he's capable of. The power is there. Most pros won't ever hit the ball 450+ feet and he's done it multiple times. I find MM to be one of the most likeable guys on the team. He just needs to stay healthy.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why so much hate towards him? I know he hasn't been consistent, but he's also shown what he's capable of. The power is there. Most pros won't ever hit the ball 450+ feet and he's done it multiple times. I find MM to be one of the most likeable guys on the team. He just needs to stay healthy.
Well stated and agree totally.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'll just drop it..... No Moreland hate until after the first Month of the regular season. I'll try to give him a chance

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll just drop it..... No Moreland hate until after the first Month of the regular season. I'll try to give him a chance

Like Romeo stated, he's going to be on the team so you might as well give him a chance. I would've liked to add Cruz or Morales, and I'm a Mitch fan. I'm hoping he gets off to a hot start this year. It's taken him awhile to get going in previous years.

Rudy_Rangerfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like Romeo stated, he's going to be on the team so you might as well give him a chance. I would've liked to add Cruz or Morales, and I'm a Mitch fan. I'm hoping he gets off to a hot start this year. It's taken him awhile to get going in previous years.

I was hoping We'd get Cruz back too...he wanted to come back , O's will give him playing time in the outfield. Rangers could only offer him a mostly DH position.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Engel Beltre is in control of the 4th OF spot. And if he stays with the big club, he'll probably be our best OF overall. He can play all 3 positions, and we certainly need a backup/option in center. This isn't close.

Choice needs the to play everyday and there is no indication he's ready to play in the majors IMO.

Beltre is out of options because he is so good.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Choice is #72, and Sardinas #76 on the MLB list. I just saw their names scroll across the bottom.