• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official 2014 Texas Rangers Spring Training Thread

The Commish

Texas Rangers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's looking more and more like the Rangers may go undefeated this year.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sort of hope not too but if he earns a spot he will probably platoon with Moreland at DH. Still a ton of ST games left to decide that and I bet he plays in almost everyone one of them probably for most if not all the game too.

IMO unless Choice has a fantastic camp and Beltre looks awful, then Choice is in AAA for at least the first half, baring something unfortunate happening to one of our OFs.

I heard on Norm's show that several scouts feel Choice needs those 400+ AB in AAA. And it wasn't a knock, just a nice cautious approach to his long term success.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO unless Choice has a fantastic camp and Beltre looks awful, then Choice is in AAA for at least the first half, baring something unfortunate happening to one of our OFs.

I heard on Norm's show that several scouts feel Choice needs those 400+ AB in AAA. And it wasn't a knock, just a nice cautious approach to his long term success.

Yeah... I agree.

Beltre will be on the roster (he's out of options). Choice can go down to AAA, get every day work and get primed to take over RF next season.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I tend to agree but if Choice tears it up all spring then I want whoever is kicking the other teams butt the most on the roster. I am sure we can come up with a DL stint for Beltre. :rollseyes:

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah... I agree.

Beltre will be on the roster (he's out of options). Choice can go down to AAA, get every day work and get primed to take over RF next season.

I'm kind of wondering if Beltre and Kirkman are in the similar situations. Both have great upside and across the league are recognized as "talent unfulfilled" at this point. And is this the last season, probably less, for them to either make a hole for themselves or move on?

Broseidon

M.F.C.E.O.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah... I agree.

I think it's almost guaranteed that we pick up Rios' 2015 option, so he might still be the RF next year. Of course, we could always trade Rios if Choice is lighting the world on fire, which would be a great problem to have.

I bet Choice spends more time in majors than minors this season

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's almost guaranteed that we pick up Rios' 2015 option, so he might still be the RF next year. Of course, we could always trade Rios if Choice is lighting the world on fire, which would be a great problem to have.

I bet Choice spends more time in majors than minors this season

Sorry, but I don't understand where you're coming from at all. Why do you think this about Rios? I certainly don't feel this at all. Yet you think Choice will be in the bigs more than AAA this season, thus indicated you think he's gonna be the real deal.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beltre double, MM RBI single.

Doesn't prove a thing..... If I recall correctly, Moreland had a very good spring last year. He could hit .700 against minor league competition for all I care. He has to do it in the regular season or get the **** out.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't prove a thing..... If I recall correctly, Moreland had a very good spring last year. He could hit .700 against minor league competition for all I care. He has to do it in the regular season or get the **** out.

I hear ya and agree.

Go back to last season, he started really slow, picked it up to a .280+ clip before the AS break, got hurt - gzee, that's never happened before - and then just struggled from there on.

He perplexes me with how long it takes him to get going, bounce back, etc. This is LAST hurrah with the Rangers if he doesn't produce IMO.

Broseidon

M.F.C.E.O.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, but I don't understand where you're coming from at all. Why do you think this about Rios? I certainly don't feel this at all. Yet you think Choice will be in the bigs more than AAA this season, thus indicated you think he's gonna be the real deal.

I think Choice is going to end up as the 4th OF/DH platoon this year. I'm not saying he'll be an everyday starter this year, just that he'll be on the ML roster.

Rios' option is only for $13.5 MM next season. We don't really have too many OF prospects that are MLB ready and the FA market is supposed to be bare, so that's why I think we pick up the option. If choice is ready to take over RF and Mitch develops into a legit DH, then we pick up the option and trade Rios away for prospects or a pitcher. If Choice/Moreland show they're not ready then we keep Rios for another year and have a solid player for 1/13.5

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Choice is going to end up as the 4th OF/DH platoon this year. I'm not saying he'll be an everyday starter this year, just that he'll be on the ML roster.

Rios' option is only for $13.5 MM next season. We don't really have too many OF prospects that are MLB ready and the FA market is supposed to be bare, so that's why I think we pick up the option. If choice is ready to take over RF and Mitch develops into a legit DH, then we pick up the option and trade Rios away for prospects or a pitcher. If Choice/Moreland show they're not ready then we keep Rios for another year and have a solid player for 1/13.5

Engel Beltre is in control of the 4th OF spot. And if he stays with the big club, he'll probably be our best OF overall. He can play all 3 positions, and we certainly need a backup/option in center. This isn't close.

Choice needs the to play everyday and there is no indication he's ready to play in the majors IMO.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's going to be on the team. Deal with it. He had a nice season going last year until he got hurt. Just let the season play out and stfu.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

http://vvcap.net/db/j_vi6WEUHsYNSbaWnHv6.htp

j_vi6WEUHsYNSbaWnHv6.png

j_vi6WEUHsYNSbaWnHv6.htp
j_vi6WEUHsYNSbaWnHv6.htp

j_vi6WEUHsYNSbaWnHv6.htp

Last edited by a moderator:

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Engel Beltre is in control of the 4th OF spot. And if he stays with the big club, he'll probably be our best OF overall. He can play all 3 positions, and we certainly need a backup/option in center. This isn't close.

Choice needs the to play everyday and there is no indication he's ready to play in the majors IMO.

Beltre probably gets the fourth outfielder position and should. He's the ideal fit. Great defender, and fast as hell.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beltre probably gets the fourth outfielder position and should. He's the ideal fit. Great defender, and fast as hell.

Thank you....succinctly said......Plus, he does have a decent bat "if" he hits to expectations.

Apparently, his head just is full of cotton candy, b/c he runs the bases like its Little League. But heavens, he seems to have talent and still young. Hate to punt on such a talent.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's going to be on the team. Deal with it. He had a nice season going last year until he got hurt. Just let the season play out and stfu.

Thank you again.....you're on a roll; at least with me.

Broseidon

M.F.C.E.O.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Engel is definitely a good defensive OF, so he'll probably break camp with the Rangers, but I think that has a lot to do with him being out of options. And, maybe you're right about Choice not being ready to play in the bigs, which would make it even more likely that Rios is back in 2015. That was my main point.

Personally, I don't think Choice is that far from being ML ready. I mean, he's 24 and batted over .300 in AAA last year. Beltre's defense, and especially his ability to play CF, gives him the edge for 4th OF out of camp.