• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official 2014 Texas Rangers Spring Training Thread

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Multiple sources tell Kubatko that the O's are not in on free agent starter Ervin Santana. The club would need only sacrifice its third-round pick to ink Santana or one of the other remaining free agents tied to draft compensation (Kendrys Morales and Stephen Drew), having already given up its first and second to land Cruz and Ubaldo Jimenez.
More concerned about Tex but that is hard to believe. Almost ready to quit reading these reports.

Broseidon

M.F.C.E.O.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Texas were to sign a FA with a QO attached, would we lose our 2nd rounder or the comp pick we got from Nelson Cruz' departure? I think it's whichever is higher, but I'm not certain.

The Commish

Texas Rangers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bacsik said on the fan that he'd rather have Jimenez and Cruz than Choo. I completely disagree.

I'm don't completely disagree given that it only would have cost us one draft pick and how cheap Cruz went for. Also, I'm not a huge fan of Jimenez but we could use the pitching depth. Seems like in many situations having 2 good players at $58M is better than having one very good player at over twice that going into their twilight years. I think what gives the Choo deal the slight edge to me is simply that I think 4 years Jimenez is a little too much and also that we really needed a lead off hitter after we traded Kins.

So, I still prefer having Choo but the end of his contract is going to look similar to if not worse than the end of the MY contract that many were so vocal about.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reports are that Hanson had a 123 inning with two strikeouts and was sitting at 89 to 91 on the gun. I don't believe he was hitting 89 much, if any , last year

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm don't completely disagree given that it only would have cost us one draft pick and how cheap Cruz went for. Also, I'm not a huge fan of Jimenez but we could use the pitching depth. Seems like in many situations having 2 good players at $58M is better than having one very good player at over twice that going into their twilight years. I think what gives the Choo deal the slight edge to me is simply that I think 4 years Jimenez is a little too much and also that we really needed a lead off hitter after we traded Kins.

So, I still prefer having Choo but the end of his contract is going to look similar to if not worse than the end of the MY contract that many were so vocal about.

The cost for this year is more for Cruz/Ubaldo.
At least Choo should be able to get on base more than MY.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The cost per year is more for Cruz/Ubaldo.
At least Choo should be able to get on base more than MY.

For sure, it is slightly higher but what I am referring to is really end of the contracts. O's sort of got off better b/c they didn't have to commit so much time. Choo will definitely get on base more than MY but its really those last 2-3 years of that contract that I am worried/talking about in the comment.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For sure, it is slightly higher but what I am referring to is really end of the contracts. O's sort of got off better b/c they didn't have to commit so much time. Choo will definitely get on base more than MY but its really those last 2-3 years of that contract that I am worried/talking about in the comment.

That's what I was responding too. Yeah he will be overpaid, but as long as he continues to get on base it will be fine.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reports are that Hanson had a 123 inning with two strikeouts and was sitting at 89 to 91 on the gun. I don't believe he was hitting 89 much, if any , last year

I am just hoping with his health and mental state back that we will see the good Hanson back.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw this coming.... though I thought it would be an extra year or two.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what I was responding too. Yeah he will be overpaid, but as long as he continues to get on base it will be fine.

My fault, hopefully he will but just like everyone.. as he ages those OBP numbers as well as others are bound to fall. MY used to have pretty decent OBP numbers when he was younger too. Not really where Choo's were last season- of course not many peoples are or ever have been. Gonna be tough for him to to do that again in the AL but still even if he loses 20 points on it that would still be great.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also... this.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WilltheThrill...........I think that a new fresh voice in Wash's ear who sees things differently than Jackie Moore can and will be a great thing for the team. But as someone who personally knows Jackie Moore, I can tell you with 100% certainty that he often gave Wash a lot of advice and strategies that Wash chose to ignore. Also, it wasn't just Jackie's advice but Maddux's too which was often ignored. I'm sure Jackie made his share of bad calls during his time with the team, and a new change in philosophy there might be beneficial. But your continued portrayal of him as some bumbling old coot who didn't know what he was doing or rarely offered advice to Wash is grossly inaccurate.

I respect the fact you came to the defense of someone you obviously feel friendship/respectful for, which is so sorely lacking in today's world.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WilltheThrill...........I think that a new fresh voice in Wash's ear who sees things differently than Jackie Moore can and will be a great thing for the team. But as someone who personally knows Jackie Moore, I can tell you with 100% certainty that he often gave Wash a lot of advice and strategies that Wash chose to ignore. Also, it wasn't just Jackie's advice but Maddux's too which was often ignored. I'm sure Jackie made his share of bad calls during his time with the team, and a new change in philosophy there might be beneficial. But your continued portrayal of him as some bumbling old coot who didn't know what he was doing or rarely offered advice to Wash is grossly inaccurate.

I respect the fact you came to the defense of someone you obviously feel friendship/respectful for, which is so sorely lacking in today's world.
I second that thought.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There's no way you could know that

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Young put up "decent" OBP numbers b/c he was hitting in the .320s & .330s, a .370/.380 OBP is not that great with those batting averages,

Young always had skeptical OBP skills but he could make up for it by being a very good hitter

Choo's not as good of a hitter but has a much superior eye at the plate, and that ages much better than a guy that relies on his bat speed to get on base