• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official 2014 Texas Rangers Spring Training Thread

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's just wait and see time for me, I'm incredibly frustrated with injuries...so I don't want to post and just be a downer.

Harrison had a MRI on his back for soreness and is scheduled to see a Doc tomorrow. :L
So, granted that I'm speculating... but it seems like Harry ramps up his throwing schedule and gets soreness. On the other hand, maybe that's normal. I didn't use to be so sensitive about injuries, but now... after the last couple years, I seem to hit the ceiling with any report.

Soto should be okay, but JP will likely have to start the season.

Anyone of any updates on Profar? I wonder if they are letting him do any activity.
Profar swing the bat but not throwing. Harry has no damage and feeling good.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes me speculate that JD had no interest in bringing him back.

Once we signed Choo, I am pretty sure we gave up on signing Cruz. I mean between him and Fielder, we put a ton of money on the books and we are already going to be at record payroll this season. I'm telling I think we have been done on signing "big fish" for some time. I thinke have already made all of our major moves. I would be shocked if they went after Santanna, even with all the question marks we have on the rotation. JD said this all a long time ago, and I know a lot of the time we expect him to lie to the media but I think he was being honest when he said we have made all of our major moves this off season. Biggest move made sense was signing Hanson and that was not a major move by any stretch of the imagination. I would consider Santanna more of a major more though, so I really don't expect it. I think we are already looking at the 2014 Texas Rangers.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JD has done pretty well in knowing when to walk away

I don't disagree, makes you wonder...I would assume Cruz's agent went back to the Rangers with an offer when he was looking at 8 mil/year.
If JD agreed to pay him more, but made it clear that he would be mostly DH, and Cruz declined, than Cruz is as suspect as his agent.

I certainly don't know what happened, but the whole thing seems whacked
But once again, no Mariners, I'm happy.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh not butt hurt at all, I know that offer was no longer on the table, but

when he was offered the QO, he should've wisely jumped at that offer, I predicted his value being this low from the get go, so it wasn't "no one"

he was going to have a hard time topping that dollar amount even on a multi year deal, foolish on his (and his agent's) part

If I recall you said you expected him to sign here at 2/24 million just a little while back and before that I am pretty confident you posted other guesses- I might be mixing you up with someone else though. Still 2 for $24 is hardly 1 for $8... so I wouldn't say you predicted it to be this low. Anyway you look at it, we lost out on a great deal. Turns out the Melky contract was actually a decent metric as far as amount per year, that's really around where I thought he would be initally. But I changed it mind a few times and later on his agent actually had me thinking he would get around $16-17M year and would at least get 3-4 years- I was REALLY far off for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where's that Terps fellow. Could have used some insight today.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems to me, once they go FA...they never return

I'm glad he didn't sign with Seattle, on the other hand...we certainly could of used him for 8 mil.
Cruz should fire his agent, he's worth more than that.
What a cluster

Yeah, we do not seem to keep our own for too long. That can be a mixed bag so not complaining just agreeing with you on your FA point.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only b/c the Orioles options in LF are David Lough... good job Cruz on getting to "play" the field

He should immediately become a gold glove candidate b/c he plays the OF in Baltimore

I cannot imagine Cruz in LF. Some players have a tough time switching like that and for some reason I would think he would be one of those.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I recall you said you expected him to sign here at 2/24 million just a little while back and before that I am pretty confident you posted other guesses- I might be mixing you up with someone else though. Still 2 for $24 is hardly 1 for $8... so I wouldn't say you predicted it to be this low. Anyway you look at it, we lost out on a great deal. Turns out the Melky contract was actually a decent metric as far as amount per year, that's really around where I thought he would be initally. But I changed it mind a few times and later on his agent actually had me thinking he would get around $16-17M year and would at least get 3-4 years- I was REALLY far off for sure.

I was being generous, I fully intended thats about what he would get, not what he was worth,

The 1/8 deal is less than I thought he would get but I had him pegged much lower than most, I bumped up my offer since most people had him for more

When I had my original offer to Cruz (before last season) it was more along the lines of 3/30

He and his agent seriously misplaced his value

so yeah 2/24 was me, and many of you said i was crazy he would sign for that "lowball" offer

I've always thought he was about a 10 million per year kind of player...

We didn't lose out on anything, Cruz lost out on 6 million by rejecting the QO, we showed the initial commitment and he rejected US, not the other way around,

once again, Cruz and his agent are fools and they look really stupid now, but hey we got a decent draft pick bc of his silliness

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cannot imagine Cruz in LF. Some players have a tough time switching like that and for some reason I would think he would be one of those.

When he's played LF for us, he's done OK, he won't be terrible, but he won't be good either, he's a DH playing the OF, thats what you get

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hi darryl, I miss you.

not in an weird way, don't worry.

:D
Just like you, kinda in and out of here, Lainey. Good seeing you too. Notice DT has a new avatar. Hope my avatar is not in charge of it or we's be in trouble. ;)

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When he's played LF for us, he's done OK, he won't be terrible, but he won't be good either, he's a DH playing the OF, thats what you get

I agree. If he stays relatively healthy he'll earn his 8M. He'll be able to do damage in Camden. He's got Adam Jones to help him make up some ground in left-center.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SURPRISE, Ariz. -- Greg Maddux watched from behind a net as Nick Tepesch threw a live bullpen session Friday. What he saw was Tepesch continuing to work on his changeup, a key pitch for him as he attempts to win a spot in the starting rotation.

"He threw a handful of them and got some swings-and-misses," Maddux said. "It was starting in the strike zone, but wasn't staying there. That's what he want. He's getting there."

Tepesch knows it's a work in progress and that he must continue to throw the pitch often in spring training to gain the confidence to use it in games.

"It's not quite where it needs to be yet," Tepesch said. "I'm getting more comfortable with it the more I throw it. I probably threw it six times in that session. I'm not trying to have a ton of movement to it, because I think if it does it's going to be easier to pick up. I want to have enough weapon to attack hitters with and a change-of-pace pitch from my slider or curve."

Tepesch said he wants to throw it to hitters on either side. The 25-year-old right-hander is pleased with how he's performed so far in camp and is focused on continuing to build his arm strength and get his command more consistent.

Would be nice if he can throw the change to hitters on either side, will go a long way in helping him keep hitters from sitting on his other pitches

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was being generous, I fully intended thats about what he would get, not what he was worth,

The 1/8 deal is less than I thought he would get but I had him pegged much lower than most, I bumped up my offer since most people had him for more

When I had my original offer to Cruz (before last season) it was more along the lines of 3/30

He and his agent seriously misplaced his value

so yeah 2/24 was me, and many of you said i was crazy he would sign for that "lowball" offer

I've always thought he was about a 10 million per year kind of player...

We didn't lose out on anything, Cruz lost out on 6 million by rejecting the QO, we showed the initial commitment and he rejected US, not the other way around,

once again, Cruz and his agent are fools and they look really stupid now, but hey we got a decent draft pick bc of his silliness

Haha, well its nice to see you at least attempt to eat a little crow. Here, I will even eat a little more myself- I was one of those calling that a crazy low ball offer.