• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official 2014 Texas Rangers Spring Training Thread

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'll be 34 next year, he's never getting another contract longer than 2 years, if that

Since I thought he'd get 2/3 this year I'm in no position to argue the point.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeap, you don't win games if you don't take advantage of these opportunities so RBI's are important
What we gain from Choo and Fielder will more than offset what we lost.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are one honest man.

If someone would have said "Cruz will sign a one year deal for $8 mil" 2 months ago, I'd bet $100 he'd be back with us.

This signing completely floors me.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If someone would have said "Cruz will sign a one year deal for $8 mil" 2 months ago, I'd bet $100 he'd be back with us.

Me too. Surprised he didn't come back with some kind of offer.

Broseidon

M.F.C.E.O.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Makes me speculate that JD had no interest in bringing him back.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The QO was the best he was going to do for one year,

when he was talking 5/75 all I could do was laugh

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes me speculate that JD had no interest in bringing him back.

Seems to me, once they go FA...they never return

I'm glad he didn't sign with Seattle, on the other hand...we certainly could of used him for 8 mil.
Cruz should fire his agent, he's worth more than that.
What a cluster

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm glad he didn't sign with Seattle, on the other hand...we certainly could of used him for 8 mil.
What a cluster
She's back and I agree.

Broseidon

M.F.C.E.O.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What a cluster

JD has done pretty well in knowing when to walk away

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being offered a 1 year 14 million dollar qualifying offer and rejecting it and then signing a 1 year deal for 8 million is the definition of an epic fail on his agent's part

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being offered a 1 year 14 million dollar qualifying offer and rejecting it and then signing a 1 year deal for 8 million is the definition of an epic fail on his agent's part

yes it is, like I said above, Cruz should fire him immediately.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We had it to spare, we offered him 14 million with the QO, he took 6 million less to go elsewhere, he's an idiot, good riddance

Haha... to use your own words, you sound a little butt hurt about the whole thing. I think what you are neglecting is that offer was no longer on the table. JD was being serious when he said they expected him to sign with a another team. Once we signed for Choo, we commented to Moreland as the DH and that stuck, simple as that. Not sure why there should be any hard feeling here. I'm sure he would be a Ranger for certain had the QO still stood when he signed with O's today. How was he supposed to know his market would be this low- no one predicted this. I don't recall anyone saying, I can't believe he rejected the offer at the time he did. Most of us figured he would get more at the time. This hardly makes him an idiot. Did he and his agent miscalculate his value? Sure, but no one is immune to mistakes. I know you are not a huge fan of the guy but lets not forget so quicky what he did for us while he was here.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks to me the O's have guaranteed LF to him. I don't know this but looking at the O's OF and the $8 mil commitment, that's my best guess.

Cruz is rolling the dice some in hopes he plays well enough defensively to get a 2/3 year deal at seasons end. But at the same time, if he sucks in left, but hits well, he'll still get a 2/3 deal to just DH. So maybe he's not taking such a huge risk really.

Guess the early reports I read that had him as DH were incorrect. I know playing the field is important to him.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha... to use your own words, you sound a little butt hurt about the whole thing. I think what you are neglecting is that offer was no longer on the table. JD was being serious when he said they expected him to sign with a another team. Once we signed for Choo, we commented to Moreland as the DH and that stuck, simple as that. Not sure why there should be any hard feeling here. I'm sure he would be a Ranger for certain had the QO still stood when he signed with O's today. How was he supposed to know his market would be this low- no one predicted this. I don't recall anyone saying, I can't believe he rejected the offer at the time he did. Most of us figured he would get more at the time. This hardly makes him an idiot. Did he and his agent miscalculate his value? Sure, but no one is immune to mistakes. I know you are not a huge fan of the guy but lets not forget so quicky what he did for us while he was here.

Oh not butt hurt at all, I know that offer was no longer on the table, but

when he was offered the QO, he should've wisely jumped at that offer, I predicted his value being this low from the get go, so it wasn't "no one"

he was going to have a hard time topping that dollar amount even on a multi year deal, foolish on his (and his agent's) part

Last edited by a moderator:

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess the early reports I read that had him as DH were incorrect. I know playing the field is important to him.

Only b/c the Orioles options in LF are David Lough... good job Cruz on getting to "play" the field

He should immediately become a gold glove candidate b/c he plays the OF in Baltimore

Broseidon

M.F.C.E.O.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh not butt hurt at all, I know that offer was no longer on the table, but

when he was offered the QO, he should've wisely jumped at that offer,

he was going to have a hard time topping that dollar amount even on a multi year deal, foolish on his (and his agent's) part

Hindsight is 20/20. I don't anyone expected his market to shrink so drastically. (Twss)

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
She's back and I agree.

it's just wait and see time for me, I'm incredibly frustrated with injuries...so I don't want to post and just be a downer.

Harrison had a MRI on his back for soreness and is scheduled to see a Doc tomorrow. :L
So, granted that I'm speculating... but it seems like Harry ramps up his throwing schedule and gets soreness. On the other hand, maybe that's normal. I didn't use to be so sensitive about injuries, but now... after the last couple years, I seem to hit the ceiling with any report.

Soto should be okay, but JP will likely have to start the season.

Anyone of any updates on Profar? I wonder if they are letting him do any activity.