• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official 2014 Texas Rangers Spring Training Thread

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't referring to Ross or Scheppers necessarily. Tanner is in the rotation for the long haul it appears anyway.

But let's play devils advocate: It's mid May, and the following are healthy and pitching well, Yu, Lewis, Perez, Harry, Scheppers, Ross. Who's out of the rotation? I'm guessing you come up with the same guy as I just did.

:agree:

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pitcher Scott Baker is "making progress" on a deal with the injury-ravaged Rangers, Chris Cotillo of MLBDailyDish.com tweets. The Mariners released Baker yesterday. Baker, 32, has played sparingly in the Majors since 2011, thanks to elbow troubles.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pitcher Scott Baker is "making progress" on a deal with the injury-ravaged Rangers, Chris Cotillo of MLBDailyDish.com tweets. The Mariners released Baker yesterday. Baker, 32, has played sparingly in the Majors since 2011, thanks to elbow troubles.

Why?

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
scott baker started on a few opening days with minn right? whatever at this point lol. the dude knows how to pitch and we freakin need all the help we can get. as long as its a minor league deal then who cares

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
scott baker started on a few opening days with minn right? whatever at this point lol. the dude knows how to pitch and we freakin need all the help we can get. as long as its a minor league deal then who cares

This spring-7 walks, 3 hit batters and 1 k. He would have to start in minors.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't referring to Ross or Scheppers necessarily. Tanner is in the rotation for the long haul it appears anyway.

But let's play devils advocate: It's mid May, and the following are healthy and pitching well, Yu, Lewis, Perez, Harry, Scheppers, Ross. Who's out of the rotation? I'm guessing you come up with the same guy as I just did.

Nice problem to have. I tend to think these things work themselves out. I still like Ross for the long haul

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This from the DMN this morning, and I don't get this move really. Unless, there's more going on than we know at this time.

The Rangers were among the teams scouting the Milwaukee Brewers — and second baseman Rickie Weeks — on Tuesday, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported. A baseball source indicated that Weeks could be of interest to the Rangers.
The biggest obstacle to completing a deal for the 31-year-old infielder would likely be salary. Weeks is due to make $12 million this year in guaranteed money and has a vesting option for 2015. Milwaukee would have to be willing to eat most, if not all, of that salary to facilitate a trade.
Weeks isn’t the only infielder available. Philadelphia’s Kevin Frandsen opted for free agency rather than accept an outright assignment to the minors. Houston’s Cesar Izturis also opted out of a minor league deal Monday, and 40-year-old Jamey Carroll was released by Washington. Others are expected to become available in the next few days as major league contracts must be guaranteed.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, depending on how the "fill in" works out at 2nd... I could honestly see them sending Profar to AAA for the remainder of the season to get time in at 2nd (without being in the majors).

Of course, that all depends on how -whoever- is doing at 2nd. If its a 1yr thing for Weeks, then I could see Profar in AAA.

If its Rosales.... Profar comes back. IMO

If Odor lights up the world in AA the first few weeks... then gets the call... I'm not sure what TEX will do.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, depending on how the "fill in" works out at 2nd... I could honestly see them sending Profar to AAA for the remainder of the season to get time in at 2nd (without being in the majors).

Of course, that all depends on how -whoever- is doing at 2nd. If its a 1yr thing for Weeks, then I could see Profar in AAA.

If its Rosales.... Profar comes back. IMO

If Odor lights up the world in AA the first few weeks... then gets the call... I'm not sure what TEX will do.

You may be on to something here. I wondered yesterday if the Rangers are considering "options" for Profar and/or maybe they're more concerned about his long term health than we know today.

If Weeks is signed, it becomes pretty clear to me Profar is going to spend more time in AAA than we suspected.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So did I just hear correctly that Randy Wolf made the SEA starting rotation, then got released because Z tried to get him to sign a waiver consent?

If Wolf is available, CONTACT HIM JD. We have an opening right now. Then release Saunders.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"I could honestly see them sending Profar to AAA for the remainder of the season to get time in at 2nd (without being in the majors)"

No way......I'd bet the house here.
Besides Choice, Profar was having a great spring with the bat. No way he needs a year learning the pivot and angles at 2nd base.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"I could honestly see them sending Profar to AAA for the remainder of the season to get time in at 2nd (without being in the majors)"

No way......I'd bet the house here.
Besides Choice, Profar was having a great spring with the bat. No way he needs a year learning the pivot and angles at 2nd base.

That .222 average & .276 OBP.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol...you said it and I'd still bet the house you're wrong and reaching big time

time will tell

You may be right about them keeping him in the bigs as soon as he's available, but come on man. He has not had a great spring with the bat.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So did I just hear correctly that Randy Wolf made the SEA starting rotation, then got released because Z tried to get him to sign a waiver consent?

If Wolf is available, CONTACT HIM JD. We have an opening right now. Then release Saunders.

I don't see Wolf as much of an improvement over Saunders, if at all... I mean yeah do the due diligence and he might be, but I don't get the excitement over Randy Wolf here

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You may be right about them keeping him in the bigs as soon as he's available, but come on man. He has not had a great spring with the bat.

you're right....the word great was not correct.
How bout he looked as good as anyone not named Choice in the batters box.

any ways...Profar will not sit at AAA all season

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair he started out hot and that might be what PDay is thinking of, he went ice cold his last couple games, hence the poor numbers

He did start off hot - I'll agree with that.

But he's had 4 hits since March 7. In 32 at-bats. More than "last couple of games"

Jurickson Profar Stats, Video Highlights, Photos, Bio | texasrangers.com: Team

And while I'll agree that he is our 2nd baseman of the future (Odor may have something to say about this) - if things are going fine with whoever is there while he is out - it wouldnt surprise me if they take a slow approach to bring him back. IMO.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you hang on the stats and I'll hang on your statement that he won't be in the majors this season

sounds like a plan to me