• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official 2014 Texas Rangers Spring Training Thread

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prince is Prince indeed. He will be solid. Ross and Scheppers have looked nice, but I wonder more about their longevity. Choice seems ready to be plugged in and get it.

Scheppers and Ross have surprised the daylights out of me. We just need them to go until we can get Yu, Harrison and eventually Holland in there. Then we can take things as they come with them depending on how their arms hold up. Their pitching and Choice's hitting has been very encouraging to me.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
probably want to ease Wong into the 2B job, plus Ellis gets hurt every other week

Then he'll fit in with us way too nicely to suit me.

Actually like this guy, but we desperately need some bodies to stay upright. Hell, if they happen to actually play well then we'll have a parade.

PAINTERMAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know some said that Odor is not ready defensively. I was wondering at the time where that came from. JD is on the fan and said a lot of people in the organization think he could handle it right now, but JD wants to get him everyday ABs in AA and see how he does. We could see Odor a month or so into the season if he takes care of business.

I think the biggest problem with Odor is his service time has not begun yet. Due to that I believe he will be a last resort.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[MEDIA=twitter]448587855732801536[/MEDIA]

What's a 45-day advance-consent release?

Players with more than 5 years of experience can't be sent to the minors without consenting to it. Without the consent of the player, the team must release him or keep him on the MLB roster.

In Wolf's case, the Mariners basically told him "you made the team as long as you consent to be sent to the minors if we choose to do so within the next 45 days". They wanted Wolf to accept in advance any minor league assignment they might give him over the next 45 days. He said no, so they chose to release him.

Last edited by a moderator:

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well with Darvish out to start the year, along with Lewis, Harrison and Holland and the with the way Ross pitched today, I think he's earned at least a turn in the rotation to start out the year

Sooo... Perez/Scheppers/Ross/Saunders/Hanson... then hopefully Darvish and maybe Lewis are ready to return?

All of a sudden our rotation is massively different. It looks even worse on paper... yes I know that they've had good ST's, but jeez. Really, only one of the projected guys is in the rotation from the beginning

The Commish

Texas Rangers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players with more than 5 years of experience can't be sent to the minors without consenting to it. Without the consent of the player, the team must release him or keep him on the MLB roster.

In Wolf's case, the Mariners basically told him "you made the team as long as you consent to be sent to the minors if we choose to do so within the next 45 days". They wanted Wolf to accept in advance any minor league assignment they might give him over the next 45 days. He said no, so they chose to release him.

I see. Thanks.

On another note, Dale Hanson just said that with all the Rangers' injuries, Kinsler's prediction of 0-162 has a chance. :lol:

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of a sudden our rotation is massively different. It looks even worse on paper... yes I know that they've had good ST's, but jeez. Really, only one of the projected guys is in the rotation from the beginning

Holland we knew was out for months now. Ogando is out because Scheppers and Ross outpitched him. And we have to wait on Yu. The other two spots were up for grabs until Harrison and supposedly Lewis were ready. So in reality that is one projected starter that may be out which is Yu and not sure for how long out of Yu, Ogando, and Perez. Any other time guys pitch like this and we are ecstatic about it. They are making believers out of me.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know some said that Odor is not ready defensively. I was wondering at the time where that came from. JD is on the fan and said a lot of people in the organization think he could handle it right now, but JD wants to get him everyday ABs in AA and see how he does. We could see Odor a month or so into the season if he takes care of business.

Odor's issues have always been his glove and a lack of walks

I think what JD means is he could come in right now and be an improvement over someone like Dan Uggla which isn't saying much

I really think it boils down to a service time issue, why start his clock for a 3 month cup of coffee and then back down for a couple years?

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see. Thanks.

On another note, Dale Hanson just said that with all the Rangers' injuries, Kinsler's prediction of 0-162 has a chance. :lol:

Dale Hanson wouldn't know baseball if it hit him in the head. He blew this organization off for many years. Surprised he doesn't have Tony Romo as one of our starters.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holland we knew was out for months now. Ogando is out because Scheppers and Ross outpitched him. And we have to wait on Yu. The other two spots were up for grabs until Harrison and supposedly Lewis were ready. So in reality that is one projected starter that may be out which is Yu and not sure for how long out of Yu, Ogando, and Perez. Any other time guys pitch like this and we are ecstatic about it. They are making believers out of me.

Agreed, Ross and Scheppers EARNING SP spots is a great thing, its not like they were handed to them

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

According to JD while he was on ESPN Dallas yesterday, they are looking at any/all options for the rotation. This includes putting Ogando back in for a few starts, maybe more, depending on what "happens" next.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to JD while he was on ESPN Dallas yesterday, they are looking at any/all options for the rotation. This includes putting Ogando back in for a few starts, maybe more, depending on what "happens" next.

As long as it does not affect Ross and Scheppers. Part of that may be Saunders needs time to build up arm strength and Hanson is long relief and of course Harrison and Lewis are a few weeks from being ready. So I can understand that.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as it does not affect Ross and Scheppers. Part of that may be Saunders needs time to build up arm strength and Hanson is long relief and of course Harrison and Lewis are a few weeks from being ready. So I can understand that.

I think our starting rotation to start the season is etched in quicksand.

Honestly, I think all we want to do is go week-to-week for the first month, see who pitches well, who recovers, who steps up or out, and regroup on the fly.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be really nice for the guys in the rotation to give us a reason to leave them in there when the other guys get healthy

Rudy_Rangerfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the biggest problem with Odor is his service time has not begun yet. Due to that I believe he will be a last resort.

In 268 games the last 3 years he's committed 58 errors. Last year in 114 games he committed 25 errors .

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think our starting rotation to start the season is etched in quicksand.

Honestly, I think all we want to do is go week-to-week for the first month, see who pitches well, who recovers, who steps up or out, and regroup on the fly.

I understand what you are saying but if you want guys to fail have them feel like they are only getting to start based on their next performance. They need to know the team has their backs. But you are right in that it is like quicksand because of the pitchers who could be ready as the weeks go by which changes the landscape of things. But you have to admit of the positives that Scheppers and Ross have given us. Otherwise we are really in dire straits.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm putting some faith in Ross. Just picked him up on my fantasy team.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand what you are saying but if you want guys to fail have them feel like they are only getting to start based on their next performance. They need to know the team has their backs. But you are right in that it is like quicksand because of the pitchers who could be ready as the weeks go by which changes the landscape of things. But you have to admit of the positives that Scheppers and Ross have given us. Otherwise we are really in dire straits.

I wasn't referring to Ross or Scheppers necessarily. Tanner is in the rotation for the long haul it appears anyway.

But let's play devils advocate: It's mid May, and the following are healthy and pitching well, Yu, Lewis, Perez, Harry, Scheppers, Ross. Who's out of the rotation? I'm guessing you come up with the same guy as I just did.