• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official 2014 Texas Rangers Spring Training Thread

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Need to trade the Yankees a rosin bag and first baseman's glove for Yangervis Solarte and roll the dice. I mean what the hell, right? Better than Lillibridge and Adam freaking Rosales options for sure

I would take Solarte over those two for sure. I knew they shoulda spent a quarter billion on Cano...haha just kidding.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our rotation just doesnt rank up with the rest of the division right now imo. Oakland just always seems to have pitching (although the parker injury hurts alot), seattles got king, iwakuma, paxton, walker, beaven, and maurer. No way LAA is as bad as they were last year. Weaver will be better, cj will sustain, and now they have skaggs.

plus our lineup is just getting injury after injury. Its a nightmare right now

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our rotation just doesnt rank up with the rest of the division right now imo. Oakland just always seems to have pitching (although the parker injury hurts alot), seattles got king, iwakuma, paxton, walker, beaven, and maurer. No way LAA is as bad as they were last year. Weaver will be better, cj will sustain, and now they have skaggs.

plus our lineup is just getting injury after injury. Its a nightmare right now

Seems to be a lot of excessive pessimism (not saying you're ultimately wrong though)

Griffin is also hurt in Oakland's rotation, seems people figured out Milone as well last year; Sonny Gray is an unproven (though he's pitched very well in ST) along with Straily, and Kazmir is not that good even in his "rebound" year

Iwakuma is also hurt for Seattle, with Paxton, walker and maurer having proven nothing (believe Walker is also hurt) and Beaven is ok

Skaggs is a walk machine, Weaver and Wilson could just as easily begin to regress as rebound at this point

You've basically assumed best case scenario for every SP in the AL West

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would take Solarte over those two for sure. I knew they shoulda spent a quarter billion on Cano...haha just kidding.

What stinks is we had Solarte in ST the last 2 years and he did decent, but w all the IF depth at the time we lost him. Not that there was any other real option but he has performed well for the Yankees so far in ST and I would love to have him for depth now, if not to throw him into the starting lineup and see what happens. Injuries happen and you deal with them but it doesn't seem the options the Rangers have are even playable at the ML level.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems to be a lot of excessive pessimism (not saying you're ultimately wrong though)

Griffin is also hurt in Oakland's rotation, seems people figured out Milone as well last year; Sonny Gray is an unproven (though he's pitched very well in ST) along with Straily, and Kazmir is not that good even in his "rebound" year

Iwakuma is also hurt for Seattle, with Paxton, walker and maurer having proven nothing (believe Walker is also hurt) and Beaven is ok

Skaggs is a walk machine, Weaver and Wilson could just as easily begin to regress as rebound at this point

You've basically assumed best case scenario for every SP in the AL West

Yeah Oakland losing their no 1 starter should be a huge blow. However they seem to find random uniforms that just show up and give sub 3 ERAs.

The AL West as a whole has some serious question marks for starting pitching this year. You're right on the money.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bortolo-Getty-Images.jpg

Can you believe this is even the same person?

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah Oakland losing their no 1 starter should be a huge blow. However they seem to find random uniforms that just show up and give sub 3 ERAs.

The AL West as a whole has some serious question marks for starting pitching this year. You're right on the money.

Hopefully we get our starting rotation figured out and our injured guys come back before the rest of the AL West teams. Gonna be tough if your team isn't the division winner to grab a WC spot IMO out of the AL West

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And I'm not saying some of these guys won't pitch well, some will, but to assume they don't have questions as well is excessively pessimistic

Even King Felix and his loss in velocity over the past several seasons is a question, a small one since he's learned how to pitch well, its still a question

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bortolo-Getty-Images.jpg

Can you believe this is even the same person?

no and what seems even more hard to believe is that fat bastard won as many games as he did last year!

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I just think that injuries are more of a question than only a half season of success. Colby has been gone for a year and a half, so I consider him more of a question that I do any of the pitchers for oakland. I realize I'm being pessimistic, but cmon now.... its difficult not to be. We couldve gone with the plan, and signed morales while trading moreland and pitching for a top pitcher and we'd still be lacking depth that we're confident in, am i right? I know every team has questions, but there isnt a team in the division with the injuries and questions that we have in my opinion. not even really close.

Saying walker and paxton are "questions" is the same as saying profar is a question. And although he is, the majority of people think that profars gonna be an outstanding player. I think paxton and walker will be very formidable. Now if youre saying they wont reach that level this year, thats sorta a different argument, but I have a feeling that seattles rotation 2 years from now will be better than ours or anyone elses in our division.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I just think that injuries are more of a question than only a half season of success. Colby has been gone for a year and a half, so I consider him more of a question that I do any of the pitchers for oakland. I realize I'm being pessimistic, but cmon now.... its difficult not to be. We couldve gone with the plan, and signed morales while trading moreland and pitching for a top pitcher and we'd still be lacking depth that we're confident in, am i right? I know every team has questions, but there isnt a team in the division with the injuries and questions that we have in my opinion. not even really close.

Saying walker and paxton are "questions" is the same as saying profar is a question. And although he is, the majority of people think that profars gonna be an outstanding player. I think paxton and walker will be very formidable. Now if youre saying they wont reach that level this year, thats sorta a different argument, but I have a feeling that seattles rotation 2 years from now will be better than ours or anyone elses in our division.

It is all subjective based on injuries and to say that is not really determinable w FA. You can't make that kind of blanket statement for one year and definitely not for 2 years

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh no, I've said all along that I dont think 2014 is our year but maybe 2015 is

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh no, I've said all along that I dont think 2014 is our year but maybe 2015 is

I said the same about 2010, you just never know. Maybe we get surprised somehow

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We just have to wait and see how it plays out. Last year our pitching took a kick in the gut at the beginning of the year with Perez in ST and Harrison after his 1st start going out. And at one point during the season we had one starter from our original 5 ready to pitch. But it turned out to be the offense that let us down. We have some serviceable starters and still a good BP and I think there have been some surprises from the BP this Spring we can add. With a strong BP it will help. I am just waiting it out. I do hope Soto is ready though. I do not want JP to be our starting catcher.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Season looks like it's going to start off slow and rough. That said I think the teams' stars and leaders are going to have to shoulder this early season load big time. I think it's also going to be a test for Wash and the rest of the coaching staff and ensure they don't fall off big time so early due to this bad luck and injuries.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot about Tanaka. He's getting the start at 2B today. He has been decent, but damn this sucks. I would still see what Odor can do before letting Wilson or Rosales hit .200. Does anyone think that Odor can't hit better than that? I really think he's our best option, as unconventional as it would be.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot about Tanaka. He's getting the start at 2B today. He has been decent, but damn this sucks. I would still see what Odor can do before letting Wilson or Rosales hit .200. Does anyone think that Odor can't hit better than that? I really think he's our best option, as unconventional as it would be.

sometimes the glove work is more valuable than hitting a few points higher in average

The Commish

Texas Rangers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sooooo... now our "mid season acquistions" are going to be a #2-#3 starter, a catcher, and a starting 2b.

Going to be a great 2nd half of the season. :hope: