• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official 2013-2014 NHL Trade Deadline Thread

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
BfrZkTlCYAE-MAV.jpg

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll see. It could also be a 2 for 1 depending on the quality of the player the Islanders get. The bottom line is I'm one pissed off Islanders fan. I had high hopes after Garth talked to Dreger before the game at Yankee Stadium vs the Rangers. For the Islanders to offer Vanek a contract that's similar to the one he signed 7 years ago is a joke. Garth had been trying to acquire Vanek for about a year. He targeted him. If you really want the player you offer him a max contract. You don't insult him.

I get that the Islanders (like the Sabres) have to overpay for free agents right now, but offering Vanek a deal similar to his last one is far from insulting, IMO.

He was very good for the Sabres, but I still don't think he ever lived up to that kind of deal, so I see no reason why he should get it again.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that the Islanders (like the Sabres) have to overpay for free agents right now, but offering Vanek a deal similar to his last one is far from insulting, IMO.

He was very good for the Sabres, but I still don't think he ever lived up to that kind of deal, so I see no reason why he should get it again.

:10::agree:

You give max deals to franchise players of contending teams.

Thomas Vanek is a really good player but he is no franchise player.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't know, I am kind of torn on it. I agree his personal performance probably doesn't merit a raise.

But the Isles need to understand that they are not just dealing with Vanek, they are dealing with every potential FA and their Agents. That sends a "status quo" message, especially when Vanek is one of the bigger name Free Agents this summer. And that offer makes it look like they weren't serious. It looks like they aren't even going to try and play the market. And if you aren't going to compete with the market, you shut up. You work the phones and see what you can get.

Now, Vanek is insulted (rightfully or no) and his previously slim chances of resigning are nil. So now when Snow says "1st, prospect and young player", he's going to get laughed at. Because most teams know that he probably wants to go to Minnesota anyway. They aren't going to pay three assets for one rental who won't resign. And Minny won't give much to trade for him because he's "free" in a few months. And this all out in the public eye.

Buffalo handled him the right way. They knew they weren't going to re-sign him so they shut up and moved him for an asset that has played well for them. And if Moulson isn't going to sign in Buffalo, they can move him for future assets much easier and for more than Snow can move Vanek.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Come July 1st Vanek is likely going to get 7 years at 8M to 9M per year. That's the going rate for a premier goal scorer. The fact Garth talked about how the Islanders could outbid everyone & then give him the same contract he already has is PATHETIC.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like Luke Schenn to become a member of the Oilers :D

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol at the writer inferring that the Flyers coaching staff is horrible - like the Oilers coaching staff is something great

The Oilers have coaches? Could have fooled me. If their coaches are so good how come all their so called can't miss prospects seem to be missing?

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luke Schenn is terrible - him leaving would be a good thing

I know he is, but so is Hemsky. The Flyers need defense, not offense.

I tried to tell Flyer fans about Schenn, but nobody listened to me. The Leafs brought him up the wrong way trying to make him a 2-way defensemen. It stunted his growth as a player. He is better suited to be a shut down dman, but he hasn't been that at all.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know he is, but so is Hemsky. The Flyers need defense, not offense.

I tried to tell Flyer fans about Schenn, but nobody listened to me. The Leafs brought him up the wrong way trying to make him a 2-way defensemen. It stunted his growth as a player. He is better suited to be a shut down dman, but he hasn't been that at all.

I think it would be a good deal for the Flyers. Schenn isn't a good defenseman & he's signed for a few more years. Hemsky is an UFA at the end of the season. The Flyers would save some money in this deal which would allow them to improve the team come July 1st.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it would be a good deal for the Flyers. Schenn isn't a good defenseman & he's signed for a few more years. Hemsky is an UFA at the end of the season. The Flyers would save some money in this deal which would allow them to improve the team come July 1st.

That I get, but he doesn't help them now. He's practically useless on the ice.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess there was talk on Fan 960 in Calgary this morning regarding TJ Brodie + ? for Ryan O'Reilly. I'd hate to lose Brodie, but if you can put together a package for ROR, you pull that trigger.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess there was talk on Fan 960 in Calgary this morning regarding TJ Brodie + ? for Ryan O'Reilly. I'd hate to lose Brodie, but if you can put together a package for ROR, you pull that trigger.

Wasn't the Flames the team to sign ROR to the offer-sheet? If I recall corractly.:noidea: