• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Off to the Cooler Confines of Colorado.....7/20-22

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I swear, I wonder if moving EA wouldn't be harder than Choo. Maybe that's a tie.

Choo at least has shown some flashes of getting back to his old self. EA has been getting worse for the past 2+ years, and this is the time when he should be coming into his own (he's still not 27 yet).

It's a big reason I don't like these guaranteed contracts. They create complacency. Complacency breeds mediocrity.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a big reason I don't like these guaranteed contracts. They create complacency. Complacency breeds mediocrity.

That's so dependent on the player. Prince looks like he's playing harder than ever, while Elvis has become a pompous little twit.

So, it goes both ways.

jaar01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cole Hamels will cost too much. Don't do it Rangers unless Alfaro, Gallo, and Chi Chi aren't included. Which of course means no deal.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I maintain that October 2010 + October 2011 + TJ surgery in 2012 (after shifting to starter) destroyed Feliz between the ears, beyond the physical toll of the TJ. Just a perfect storm of experiences that he simply couldn't get past.
He definitely had the talent. Not always the control. And the between the ears thing was an issue before the injury to me as a closer. There were just times it looked like he just did not want to make the next pitch as in game 6. And that look he would get in his face. But I admit I would love to have the old Feliz and that gifted arm of his back again. Those were some fun years regardless how they ended.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are a lot of theories to ponder regarding Elvis' level of performance. There is the complacency theory that says he got his contract and he simply doesn't think he needs to work to attain anything else. There is the theory that he is simply crumbling under the pressure of a big contract. There is the theory that he simply isn't as good as some of us used to think he was going to be. It is hard for me to know which to believe. I would buy more heavily into the complacency theory if he hadn't have gone out and worked so hard this past offseason. Whatever the cause I would still like to see how much better he could hit if he had a better hitting coach. It wouldn't help his defense any unless he is taking his hitting problems to the field with him.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cole Hamels will cost too much. Don't do it Rangers unless Alfaro, Gallo, and Chi Chi aren't included. Which of course means no deal.
I would put Mazara in that mix as well.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There's no Hamels deal. Rosenthal and company are just trying to generate clicks.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These guys really think a lot of Mazara.

Baseball Prospectus | Some Projection Left: Ask The Industry: Corner Outfielders

I asked three scouts and two front-office members the following question: If you could start your franchise with one player at each position, what player would you take? I then asked those scouts/front-office members to submit and MVP-style ballot at each position, with the first place vote counting for five points, second place for four, etc.

Next up: The corner outfield. This is typically a position that is filled with guys that are offensively-inclined but don’t have the speed or athleticism to play center. But this year, well, that’s a pretty accurate description. There is some real offensive firepower here, though – particularly with our runaway candidate.

AL front-office member: Nomar Mazara, OF, Texas Rangers

Why: I really believe you could make a convincing argument that this is the best prospect in baseball, and if he was a centerfielder then I don’t think it’d be even close. The offensive numbers aren’t sensational, but keep in mind that this is a kid who just turned 20 years old a few months ago. The power is going to be plus-plus when he fills out, and there’s no way with that swing he isn’t going to hit for average, too. I hate the phrase “cant’-miss” but this guy is pretty darn close.”

His top five: 1. Mazara 2. Michael Conforto, OF, New York Mets 3. Billy McKinney, OF, Chicago Cubs 4. Jesse Winker, OF, Reds 5. Nick Williams, OF, Texas Rangers

NL West scout: Mazara

Why: “When you first emailed me this I thought for sure I was going to with Judge, even though I have some real concerns about how he’s going to handle inside pitching, I still think he’s a well above-average offensive prospect and a pretty darn good defender too.

“But, the more I thought about it, the more I think I have to go with Mazara. He’s nowhere near as good as Judge defensively and there’s still a lot to work on, but I’ve loved that swing since I saw him in Arizona in 2013. Judge is the safer guy, but I have to go with the guy with three 60 tools in Mazara.”

His top five: 1. Mazara 2. Aaron Judge, New York Yankees 3. Conforto 4. Raimel Tapia, OF, Colorado Rockies 5. Winker

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope they stick with the DeShields/Odor combo in the 1st two spots in the lineup.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These guys really think a lot of Mazara.

Baseball Prospectus | Some Projection Left: Ask The Industry: Corner Outfielders

I asked three scouts and two front-office members the following question: If you could start your franchise with one player at each position, what player would you take? I then asked those scouts/front-office members to submit and MVP-style ballot at each position, with the first place vote counting for five points, second place for four, etc.

Next up: The corner outfield. This is typically a position that is filled with guys that are offensively-inclined but don’t have the speed or athleticism to play center. But this year, well, that’s a pretty accurate description. There is some real offensive firepower here, though – particularly with our runaway candidate.

AL front-office member: Nomar Mazara, OF, Texas Rangers

Why: I really believe you could make a convincing argument that this is the best prospect in baseball, and if he was a centerfielder then I don’t think it’d be even close. The offensive numbers aren’t sensational, but keep in mind that this is a kid who just turned 20 years old a few months ago. The power is going to be plus-plus when he fills out, and there’s no way with that swing he isn’t going to hit for average, too. I hate the phrase “cant’-miss” but this guy is pretty darn close.”

His top five: 1. Mazara 2. Michael Conforto, OF, New York Mets 3. Billy McKinney, OF, Chicago Cubs 4. Jesse Winker, OF, Reds 5. Nick Williams, OF, Texas Rangers

NL West scout: Mazara

Why: “When you first emailed me this I thought for sure I was going to with Judge, even though I have some real concerns about how he’s going to handle inside pitching, I still think he’s a well above-average offensive prospect and a pretty darn good defender too.

“But, the more I thought about it, the more I think I have to go with Mazara. He’s nowhere near as good as Judge defensively and there’s still a lot to work on, but I’ve loved that swing since I saw him in Arizona in 2013. Judge is the safer guy, but I have to go with the guy with three 60 tools in Mazara.”

His top five: 1. Mazara 2. Aaron Judge, New York Yankees 3. Conforto 4. Raimel Tapia, OF, Colorado Rockies 5. Winker

Rangers with 2 in his top 5. I'm actually pretty excited about Mazara.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vargas has a torn UCL so KC will be looking for starting pitching.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are a lot of theories to ponder regarding Elvis' level of performance. There is the complacency theory that says he got his contract and he simply doesn't think he needs to work to attain anything else. There is the theory that he is simply crumbling under the pressure of a big contract. There is the theory that he simply isn't as good as some of us used to think he was going to be. It is hard for me to know which to believe. I would buy more heavily into the complacency theory if he hadn't have gone out and worked so hard this past offseason. Whatever the cause I would still like to see how much better he could hit if he had a better hitting coach. It wouldn't help his defense any unless he is taking his hitting problems to the field with him.
When you compare him to the SS the Rangers have had in their entire history there is not much to compare. I remember when we got Royce Clayton and Todd Zeile from St Louis. I was ecstatic to have him as our SS. We have not had many very good all around SS on this franchise.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, haven't seen much mention of what the Tigers could be making available... anyone interested in any of that?

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think we could hornswaggle KC out of Ventura?
They had just demoted him as he was struggling. Now they will have to call him up with Vargas out. But he also has struggled with this emotions. So for me not interested.