• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Notre Dame, why I HATE the Fighting Irish. Snowflakes should avoid this thread.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minnesota hasn't been relevant for decades. No one cares.
In football? An argument could be made to support that, an argument could be made in opposition to that just by referencing 2019's 11-2 season.

Other than football? Not even close to true. But since this got moved to the football forum, I won't get into any of that.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In football? An argument could be made to support that, an argument could be made in opposition to that just by referencing 2019's 11-2 season.

Other than football? Not even close to true. But since this got moved to the football forum, I won't get into any of that.

Minnesota just doesn't produce talent anymore. They haven't had an NFL HOFer play there since the 70s...and he is largely there from his coaching accolades.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minnesota just doesn't produce talent anymore. They haven't had an NFL HOFer play there since the 70s...and he is largely there from his coaching accolades.
This is not accurate.

Charlie Sanders played most of his career in the 70s, Carl Eller played every season of the 70s, Bobby Bell played half of the 70s and Rick Upchurch, though he's not a HOFer, he did make it onto a list of the Top 300 players of all time and he played until 1983., and our last cfb HOFer Bob Stein played half of the 70s as well.

13 former Gophers have won 17 Super Bowl rings since 1980.
11 Gophers were named All-American with 3 of them getting named All-American twice.

Tyrone Carter won the Jim Thorpe Award, Matt Spaeth won the John Mackey Award & Greg Eslinger won the Outland Award.

There were several players who got drafted in the 1st round.

Chip Lohmiller was the high point scorer in the NFL at least once. Marion Barber III came close to being the high point scorer at least one season. His father also played in the 80s.

Karl Mecklenburg has a resume similar to players who got into the NFL HOF. He probably got passed over already but might still get in?

Keith Fahnhorst made a couple All-Star teams, and I'm sure I could dig up a few more All-Stars. Marcus Sherels has had a nice career in the NFL.

More recently Tyler Johnson, Rashod Bateman, Antoine Winfield Jr and Mohamed Ibrahim all have potential.

Now compared to back in the day, when Stein, Bell, Eller, and Sanders were all playing and Bud Grant was coaching and you could find 4, 5 maybe even 6 former Gophers all making All-Star rosters in the same season, yeah, UMn produces less talent now a days.

A lot of that has to do with both basketball and especially hockey and even to some degree, wrestling becoming more popular in Minnesota, and more and more young athletes are focusing on just one sport. They play hockey year round here in Minnesota, and both wrestling and bb goes on during the summers, and so there are fewer in state football players to recruit.

And don't try to tell me this affects other schools to the same degree because no other Div 1 school is located in a state that supplies the vast majority of the nations need for players in another sport. Minnesota has been the #1 hockey player producing state for a long time, and almost all by itself has helped to expand the sport as UMD, SCSU, Mankato St, Bemidji St and possibly St Thomas are all schools located in Minnesota that have all since moved up to Div 1 Hockey. About 2 decades ago fully HALF of the US Hockey Hall of Fame inductees were born in Minnesota and 1/3rd of them were former Golden Gophers. UMn is the #1 producer of NHL talent and the state of Minnesota as a whole is the #1 NHL player producing state. UMn is the #1 producer of US Olympic hockey players as well and it's not even close, and though UND has produced some Olympic and NHL talent, they get a lot of their players from the state of Minnesota same as Wisconsin.

But things should change as first the U of Mn got serious about bringing in a good coach, and didn't really succeed at that until they got Fleck, imo, then getting a new outdoor stadium built and then getting a Practice Facility built. All of those things have now been done, and UMn's showing their willingness to pay Fleck a decent salary, too.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is not accurate.

Charlie Sanders played most of his career in the 70s, Carl Eller played every season of the 70s, Bobby Bell played half of the 70s and Rick Upchurch, though he's not a HOFer, he did make it onto a list of the Top 300 players of all time and he played until 1983., and our last cfb HOFer Bob Stein played half of the 70s as well.

13 former Gophers have won 17 Super Bowl rings since 1980.
11 Gophers were named All-American with 3 of them getting named All-American twice.

Tyrone Carter won the Jim Thorpe Award, Matt Spaeth won the John Mackey Award & Greg Eslinger won the Outland Award.

There were several players who got drafted in the 1st round.

Chip Lohmiller was the high point scorer in the NFL at least once. Marion Barber III came close to being the high point scorer at least one season. His father also played in the 80s.

Karl Mecklenburg has a resume similar to players who got into the NFL HOF. He probably got passed over already but might still get in?

Keith Fahnhorst made a couple All-Star teams, and I'm sure I could dig up a few more All-Stars. Marcus Sherels has had a nice career in the NFL.

More recently Tyler Johnson, Rashod Bateman, Antoine Winfield Jr and Mohamed Ibrahim all have potential.

Now compared to back in the day, when Stein, Bell, Eller, and Sanders were all playing and Bud Grant was coaching and you could find 4, 5 maybe even 6 former Gophers all making All-Star rosters in the same season, yeah, UMn produces less talent now a days.

A lot of that has to do with both basketball and especially hockey and even to some degree, wrestling becoming more popular in Minnesota, and more and more young athletes are focusing on just one sport. They play hockey year round here in Minnesota, and both wrestling and bb goes on during the summers, and so there are fewer in state football players to recruit.

And don't try to tell me this affects other schools to the same degree because no other Div 1 school is located in a state that supplies the vast majority of the nations need for players in another sport. Minnesota has been the #1 hockey player producing state for a long time, and almost all by itself has helped to expand the sport as UMD, SCSU, Mankato St, Bemidji St and possibly St Thomas are all schools located in Minnesota that have all since moved up to Div 1 Hockey. About 2 decades ago fully HALF of the US Hockey Hall of Fame inductees were born in Minnesota and 1/3rd of them were former Golden Gophers. UMn is the #1 producer of NHL talent and the state of Minnesota as a whole is the #1 NHL player producing state. UMn is the #1 producer of US Olympic hockey players as well and it's not even close, and though UND has produced some Olympic and NHL talent, they get a lot of their players from the state of Minnesota same as Wisconsin.

But things should change as first the U of Mn got serious about bringing in a good coach, and didn't really succeed at that until they got Fleck, imo, then getting a new outdoor stadium built and then getting a Practice Facility built. All of those things have now been done, and UMn's showing their willingness to pay Fleck a decent salary, too.

Reading is not your strong suit. None of the Gopher players you listed played for Minnesota in the 80s.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"They haven't had an NFL HOFer play there since the 70s" and this is the vital part of what you said, "and HE is largely there from his coaching accolades", so I assumed since you used a SINGULAR, "he", that you were referring to ONE person. Since you mentioned his coaching accolades, that you were referring to Tony Dungy.

SO... I pointed out that several former Gophers who ended up in the HOF played in the NFL in the 70s. I remember watching some of them play for the Vikings.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"They haven't had an NFL HOFer play there since the 70s" and this is the vital part of what you said, "and HE is largely there from his coaching accolades", so I assumed since you used a SINGULAR, "he", that you were referring to ONE person. Since you mentioned his coaching accolades, that you were referring to Tony Dungy.

SO... I pointed out that several former Gophers who ended up in the HOF played in the NFL in the 70s. I remember watching some of them play for the Vikings.

"There" refers to Minny. Pretty obvious to anyone with basic reading comprehension.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are they in the HOF?

It doesn't matter to him. fred suffers from a very bad case of homeritis. What's funny is if you ask him what makes Minnesota football so great he responds by mentioning basketball, baseball, hockey and other dumb shit that has nothing to do with football.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't matter to him. fred suffers from a very bad case of homeritis. What's funny is if you ask him what makes Minnesota football so great he responds by mentioning basketball, baseball, hockey and other dumb shit that has nothing to do with football.

the funny thing is that it was apparently a “snowflake” that started this thread. Evidently ND has given him quite the inferiority complex. He has to fall back on hockey? Seriously? I’ll match hockey with fencing. I bet ND has more fencing championship than minny has hockey championships.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the funny thing is that it was apparently a “snowflake” that started this thread. Evidently ND has given him quite the inferiority complex. He has to fall back on hockey? Seriously? I’ll match hockey with fencing. I bet ND has more fencing championship than minny has hockey championships.

In b4, "yEaH bUt hOw muCh mOnEy dO fEncInG pLayErS mAke?"

OUGuy1999

BOOMER..SOONERS!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TRIGGER ALERT, if you are a snowflake, I, personally, hope you move along and go to some other thread. This is America so as far as I'm concerned, anyone here can do whatever they want. But I'd prefer this thread be somewhere that harsh things can be posted and brought up and discussed without people running off and complaining or whining or crying about bullies saying mean things. I can't control how the admins choose to censor or not censor posts in this thread, but I can hope they will try to avoid censoring anything unless absolutely necessary.

We can do our part by keeping our negative remarks as NON personal as possible. Attacking a religion should be allowed. Attacking religious leaders should be allowed, same as attacking politicians should be allowed. But Catholics are people. I have friends and family and co-workers who are Catholic and I like all of them, too. I'll try to remember that, and hopefully anyone else coming in here to contribute keeps that in mind as well.

I have tons of issues with Notre Dame, some of them are not very serious at all, from just hating their stupid football team, to not wanting them in the B1G Conference as some seem to want, to some issues that are very serious, including having some responsibility in the child sex abuse scandals that have been rocking the RCC in general over the years and lots inbetween.

I'm inviting all who HATE ND to come in here and say why, and I don't care if it's silly petty shit like you don't like the color of their uniforms or you are offended by their choice of mascot or because their fb coach is a jerk, or if it's that you believe Notre Dame is where the Devil himself has set up his throne, share those thoughts and opinions here.

And for any and all Catholics, you are welcome as well to defend your school and your religion if you are Catholic as I am very sure ND's being Catholic will be brought up as one of the reasons people don't like ND. But be warned, I'll encourage a ZERO TOLERANCE for censorship rule in this thread. I'm not a site admin, so they may choose to do some censoring, but I'd hope they won't. I'm hoping they will just leave this thread alone. But that may depend on us. I encouraged non-Catholics to try to avoid personal attacks, so same goes for any of you Catholics coming in here, try not to take attacks of your religion as personal attacks. The RCC has murdered at least one human being during it's existence for disagreeing with it, so that alone qualifies it as not perfect and hence deserving of SOME criticism at least.
bw.jpegtampax.jpegpampers.jpeg

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I just find it odd that that goofy gopher singled out ND. He truly thinks across the board Minnesota is N.D.'s equal. What I gotta great laugh out of was when I mentioned all the national titles, legendary coaches and all american's outta South Bend. He told me I was a Fighting Irish fan "defending" them.

I'm not a N.D. fan but have nothing against them. So in his weird world mentioning facts about N.D. football somehow makes me a fan? Seems like fred's custom homer helmet has cutoff the circulation to his brain.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is NOT true. When asked what "makes" Minnesota so great, I respond with only football related things that MADE(meaning past tense) Minnesota SO GREAT that even though they've mostly sucked for the last 50+, people like Billingsley still have UMn ranked among the Top 20 cfb programs of all-time.

If I mention other sports, it's only when discussing how top notch UMn's Athlietics are.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Evidently ND has given him quite the inferiority complex. I’ll match hockey with fencing. I bet ND has more fencing championship than minny has hockey championships.
Go ahead, compare ND fencing, a truly lame as fuck sport with UMn Hockey, a sport people actually watch and a sport that actually pays people good money.

ND's got 11 fencing Natl Titles? Whoopdeedoo. UMn's got at least that many hockey titles or if you prefer Natl Titles in any ole sport no matter how lame it might be, UMn's got 18 Dance Natl Titles.

And UMn's got 3 cbb titles to ND's 2.

And UMn's got 3 Baseball titles to ND's 2 w's bb titles, and UMn's got 1 Men's Outdoor Track Natl Title to ND's Men's Soccer title, and UMn's got a Men's Golf title in 2003 to ND's Men's Golf title from 1944.

And UMn's got 3 NCAA Natl Titles in Wr & 8 Natl Duals Titles to ND's 3 women's soccer titles.

So UMn's WAY ahead.

My advice? Stick to talking ONLY about football where ND has the clear advantage.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just find it odd that that goofy gopher singled out ND. He truly thinks across the board Minnesota is N.D.'s equal. What I gotta great laugh out of was when I mentioned all the national titles, legendary coaches and all american's outta South Bend. He told me I was a Fighting Irish fan "defending" them.

I'm not a N.D. fan but have nothing against them. So in his weird world mentioning facts about N.D. football somehow makes me a fan? Seems like fred's custom homer helmet has cutoff the circulation to his brain.
I started this thread in the POLITICS forum, and hence why I singled out Notre Dame, because of ND's role in messing up America.

Theodore Hesburgh? If you don't know who that is, you should maybe educate yourself.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thread fail.

OilyBouncyHarborseal-max-1mb.gif

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go ahead, compare ND fencing, a truly lame as fuck sport with UMn Hockey, a sport people actually watch and a sport that actually pays people good money.

ND's got 11 fencing Natl Titles? Whoopdeedoo. UMn's got at least that many hockey titles or if you prefer Natl Titles in any ole sport no matter how lame it might be, UMn's got 18 Dance Natl Titles.

And UMn's got 3 cbb titles to ND's 2.

And UMn's got 3 Baseball titles to ND's 2 w's bb titles, and UMn's got 1 Men's Outdoor Track Natl Title to ND's Men's Soccer title, and UMn's got a Men's Golf title in 2003 to ND's Men's Golf title from 1944.

And UMn's got 3 NCAA Natl Titles in Wr & 8 Natl Duals Titles to ND's 3 women's soccer titles.

So UMn's WAY ahead.

My advice? Stick to talking ONLY about football where ND has the clear advantage.

i would actually put dance titles on equal footing as hockey. How many hall of fame baseball players has minny had. And the bottom line is that football is the only college sport I really care about. and I can honestly say that hockey and fencing are in the same category.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i would actually put dance titles on equal footing as hockey. How many hall of fame baseball players has minny had. And the bottom line is that football is the only college sport I really care about. and I can honestly say that hockey and fencing are in the same category.
Well, the millions who love hockey and enable the NHL to pay ALL of it's players closing in on a million dollars a year, don't give a shit about your opinion and you are not the King of the World so your opinion is almost worthless, basically worth as much as mine or anyone else's.

And if you think that #s help you out, they don't. No one is arguing cfb isn't #1 among college sports, but fencing probably ranks near the bottom with rowing and water polo.

Hockey arguably ranks 3rd behind only cfb and cbb.