• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Notre Dame, why I HATE the Fighting Irish. Snowflakes should avoid this thread.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
regardless of the fact that US News and World reports ranks Notre Dame at #19 and Minnesota at #66. You should probably write them and explain how screwed up they are.
US News and World Report ranks Notre Dame as #238 globally and UMn #47.

If you want to respect US News and World Report, that's fine, it's America, do as you please.

But how does a ranking system rate a school BETTER globally than it does nationally?

UMn ranks #47 globabally and
UMn ranks #66 nationally??? How does that make sense?

ND ranks #238 globally and
ND ranks #19 nationally? This COULD make sense, depending on how they come to their rankings?

The RPI is maybe a good example. It was a horrible rating system, and fans whose teams benefitted from it liked to argue like you are arguing now, for the rating system, saying, it's what the committee uses, complain to them if you don't like it. Well, guess what, eventually enough people did complain about it enough that the NCAA dropped the RPI when analyzing cbb teams.

With the way magazines are going down a pathetic mag like US News and World Report will die off and disappear soon enough.

Meanwhile other more reputable rating systems will continue to exist and will continue to rate UMn better than ND.

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok, true thoughts on ND. where I stand with them.......

1. I've always respected the program, like Penn St.
2. I think their exclusive TV contract is bullshit. 30 years ago ??, NCAA was/did try to make CFB more equal, and did that with the scholarship thing, along with other policies. So how in the hell are they allowed to have this? Sure doesn't seem right............ just stating the obvious.
3. My good natured respect for the program has been declining the last 25 years. I think they belong in the B1G, and them only. I think it's amazing the bad blood between ND/B1g is still so strong. them and whatever happened with scUM 70-80 years ago really rustled alot of jimmies apparently. talk about a grudge........... someone needs to wash their vag out.............

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to this list on Wikipedia, UMn ranks TIED with Illinois as #24 IN THE WORLD with 30 Nobel Prize winners associated with it.

On that list, there are 9 non-American schools listed ahead of Minnesota, so removing them would put Minnesota #15 in America. There are 5 Ivy League schools ahead of Minnesota so removing them and the other private schools on the list would mean UMn is Top Five among Public schools.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
US News and World Report ranks Notre Dame as #238 globally and UMn #47.

If you want to respect US News and World Report, that's fine, it's America, do as you please.

But how does a ranking system rate a school BETTER globally than it does nationally?

UMn ranks #47 globabally and
UMn ranks #66 nationally??? How does that make sense?

ND ranks #238 globally and
ND ranks #19 nationally? This COULD make sense, depending on how they come to their rankings?

The RPI is maybe a good example. It was a horrible rating system, and fans whose teams benefitted from it liked to argue like you are arguing now, for the rating system, saying, it's what the committee uses, complain to them if you don't like it. Well, guess what, eventually enough people did complain about it enough that the NCAA dropped the RPI when analyzing cbb teams.

With the way magazines are going down a pathetic mag like US News and World Report will die off and disappear soon enough.

Meanwhile other more reputable rating systems will continue to exist and will continue to rate UMn better than ND.
Ever wonder why the acceptance rate for Minnesota is so high? Face it they are one of the primary “safety schools” in the Midwest. If you can’t get into Northwestern or Notre dame, or even Wisconsin or Illinois, you end up at Minnesota . Nothing to be embarrassed about, but it’s good to see why a school would rank 66th in the country behind most of the other Big Ten state schools, and all of the top private universities.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cal-Berkeley is the ONLY public university with more Nobel Prize winners associated with it than Minnesota.

UMn and Illinois are tied with 30 but I'll give the nod in this lone regard to Illinois in that 11 of those 30 are alums compared to UMn's 10.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ever wonder why the acceptance rate for Minnesota is so high? Face it they are one of the primary “safety schools” in the Midwest. If you can’t get into Northwestern or Notre dame, or even Wisconsin or Illinois, you end up at Minnesota . Nothing to be embarrassed about, but it’s good to see why a school would rank 66th in the country behind most of the other Big Ten state schools, and all of the top private universities.
Only in that ONE rating system.

The ARWU rated UMn #24 in the nation and #40 in the world.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So ND taking in only the smartest kids and then doing very little to help them succeed in life that they couldn't do on their own means what? That it's prestigious just because?

And UMn taking in both the smartest kids and some who are not quite that smart and then transforming them into world changers is ignored by US News and World Report?

Or do they only ignore what they do outside of the US, because US News ranks UMn #47 IN THE WORLD in their global ratings and have Notre Dame ranked down at #238, lol.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the admins have chosen to change this thread to a sports thread. So I'll try to remember to stop talking about anything other than sports in general concerning Notre Dame.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Notre Dame only claims 11 titles, UMn claims 9. How does that make ND SO MUCH SUPERIOR that Mn shouldn't even EVER be named in the same sentence as ND fb???

I just want to know how ND fans think, I mean, seems to me that Notre Dame took advantage of the entire WW2 situation, as 3 of their titles were won during or just after WW2.

So WW2 crushed UMn's football program and it seems it benefitted Notre Dame? That seems shameful to me.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Notre Dame claims 11 titles, by 4 coaches, half of whom have UMn connections. Dan Devine played at UM-Duluth for a former Gopher, and Lou Holtz coached at Minnesota just prior to going to Notre Dame.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1/4th? lol. My Gophers are probably 3/4th of Notre Dame IN FOOTBALL, and MORE THAN all but probably 15-20 others IN FOOTBALL.

According to this there are 38 teams that are better.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minnesota is Top Ten in # of Natl Titles.
Minnesota is Top Ten in # of NFL HOFers.
Minnesota is Top Ten in # of NFL All-Stars.
Minnesota is Top 20 in # of cfb HOFers.

Minnesota is #1 in # of top point scorers in the NFL.
Minnesota is #1 in # of NFL All-Decade players in the NFL.
Billingsley rates UMn one of the Top 20 cfb programs of all-time

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because they are using different criteria, obviously.

National rankings are focusing on undergraduate performance.
Global rankings are focusing on research performance.

Last edited:

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because they are using different criteria, obviously.

National rankings are focusing on undergraduate performance.
Global rankings are focusing on research performance.
I know. I was making a point. Colleges and universities are about more than any one single aspect.