• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Notre Dame, why I HATE the Fighting Irish. Snowflakes should avoid this thread.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was a fun thread to read. It’s not often that anyone mentions Minnesota in one of these threads regarding either academics or athletics. So we have someone who actually thinks they are tops in both areas. I would just like to keep this thread on the front page.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was a fun thread to read. It’s not often that anyone mentions Minnesota in one of these threads regarding either academics or athletics. So we have someone who actually thinks they are tops in both areas. I would just like to keep this thread on the front page.
Threads like these serve as a reminder of the landscape of college football. As an ND fan, I can’t wrap my head around why a Gopher fan would have such hatred for Notre Dame when at the end of the day, Notre Dame fans hardly grant the existence of Minnesota. They’re irrelevant. I don’t know of any ND fans that actually give a fuck about Minnesota.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What's funny is comment # 142 he said he's not obsessed with Note Dame. Well that's a lie.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Threads like these serve as a reminder of the landscape of college football. As an ND fan, I can’t wrap my head around why a Gopher fan would have such hatred for Notre Dame when at the end of the day, Notre Dame fans hardly grant the existence of Minnesota. They’re irrelevant. I don’t know of any ND fans that actually give a fuck about Minnesota.

The only reason I can think of that would make Mr. Goofy Gopher go on this funny anti-N.D. rant is he's jealous of the Irish. I wonder if he truly thinks Minnesota's on the same level as N.D. in football? Because if he does it makes all the gibberish he's spewed about this topic even funnier.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not arguing that Minnesota's cfb history is better than ND's. But I absolutely will declare that UMn's academics is better than ND's. And I'll argue that the fb is not the only sport and that when you look at college sports as a whole, I'd rather be a Gopher fan than a ND fan.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw a Catholic in the streets today and I gave him a swift kick in the shin.

How could I tell it was one of them, you ask? It was the beady eyes.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My deal with Notre Dame is DEFINITELY not about jealousy or about football.

But your arrogance is beyond funny. The over self importance that ND fans have just cracks me up.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on the definition of "elite"?

More "elite" than tOSU? probably. ;)

:pound:

I'm only comparing N.D. football and Minnesota football because you think Gophers football is so great. You know that. But you insist on mentioning things that have nothing to do with football.

Of all the CFB programs you could have mentioned you decided to go with one of the more storied. Which is funny. Their history spans decades going back to the 30's. I mentioned all of their legendary coaches. The Heisman's, the all american's, the national championships. Your team simply doesn't compare.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My deal with Notre Dame is DEFINITELY not about jealousy or about football.

But your arrogance is beyond funny. The over self importance that ND fans have just cracks me up.

Yes, we are so arrogant that we think some jealous Minnesota fan would start a thread about Notre Dame. Are you jealous, of course not. You simply decided that you should spend all your time talking about a small Catholic college in northern Indiana. Yes, we are so arrogant that we think some obsessed Minnesota fan would actually spend time on a politics forum talking about Notre Dame. I think we can all agree that it would have to be either an incredibly stupid person, or a totally obsessed person to fall into that category. So I guess the best thing would be to simply ask you which of these categories you fall into? Obsessed or simply stupid?

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, we are so arrogant that we think some jealous Minnesota fan would start a thread about Notre Dame. Are you jealous, of course not. You simply decided that you should spend all your time talking about a small Catholic college in northern Indiana. Yes, we are so arrogant that we think some obsessed Minnesota fan would actually spend time on a politics forum talking about Notre Dame. I think we can all agree that it would have to be either an incredibly stupid person, or a totally obsessed person to fall into that category. So I guess the best thing would be to simply ask you which of these categories you fall into? Obsessed or simply stupid?
Hey, remember number stations? Whatever happened to them? - boing - Boing  Boing BBS

blazer prophet

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TRIGGER ALERT, if you are a snowflake, I, personally, hope you move along and go to some other thread. This is America so as far as I'm concerned, anyone here can do whatever they want. But I'd prefer this thread be somewhere that harsh things can be posted and brought up and discussed without people running off and complaining or whining or crying about bullies saying mean things. I can't control how the admins choose to censor or not censor posts in this thread, but I can hope they will try to avoid censoring anything unless absolutely necessary.

We can do our part by keeping our negative remarks as NON personal as possible. Attacking a religion should be allowed. Attacking religious leaders should be allowed, same as attacking politicians should be allowed. But Catholics are people. I have friends and family and co-workers who are Catholic and I like all of them, too. I'll try to remember that, and hopefully anyone else coming in here to contribute keeps that in mind as well.

I have tons of issues with Notre Dame, some of them are not very serious at all, from just hating their stupid football team, to not wanting them in the B1G Conference as some seem to want, to some issues that are very serious, including having some responsibility in the child sex abuse scandals that have been rocking the RCC in general over the years and lots inbetween.

I'm inviting all who HATE ND to come in here and say why, and I don't care if it's silly petty shit like you don't like the color of their uniforms or you are offended by their choice of mascot or because their fb coach is a jerk, or if it's that you believe Notre Dame is where the Devil himself has set up his throne, share those thoughts and opinions here.

And for any and all Catholics, you are welcome as well to defend your school and your religion if you are Catholic as I am very sure ND's being Catholic will be brought up as one of the reasons people don't like ND. But be warned, I'll encourage a ZERO TOLERANCE for censorship rule in this thread. I'm not a site admin, so they may choose to do some censoring, but I'd hope they won't. I'm hoping they will just leave this thread alone. But that may depend on us. I encouraged non-Catholics to try to avoid personal attacks, so same goes for any of you Catholics coming in here, try not to take attacks of your religion as personal attacks. The RCC has murdered at least one human being during it's existence for disagreeing with it, so that alone qualifies it as not perfect and hence deserving of SOME criticism at least.
Well here's one fucked up sports thread on the political board.

That, in and of itself, says something.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:pound:

I'm only comparing N.D. football and Minnesota football because you think Gophers football is so great. You know that. But you insist on mentioning things that have nothing to do with football.

Of all the CFB programs you could have mentioned you decided to go with one of the more storied. Which is funny. Their history spans decades going back to the 30's. I mentioned all of their legendary coaches. The Heisman's, the all american's, the national championships. Your team simply doesn't compare.
Never said Minnesota football compared with Notre Dame. They probably DID compare quite well right up until a world war was needed to end UMn's Dynasty when it was peaking. But even after WW2 decimated the program the Gophers still recovered well enough that they may have still compared favorably to Notre Dame through to 1962 or maybe even 1967?

But ND had a very good stretch from 1966 to 1970 that had to move them ahead of the Gophers even before they won in 73 and 77. And that ND surge came right as the UMn admin's decision in the late 50s to give up on football, finally started affecting their results on the field. The UMn Admin considered going the route of Chicago and dropping football, but when Murray Warmath surprised everyone getting the Gophers another Title in 1960, they decided to let the program continue, but it wasn't until the late 90s that the UMn Admin decided to give the football program any resources.

And far from being jealous of ND's football program, which is arguably better historically than any other program in the nation, I find that Notre Dame's decision to sell it's soul back in the 1960s coinciding with it's surge on the football field to be fitting. Satan loves it that people like you can't see what it is about ND that I so dislike because your love of cfb and Notre Dame's football legacy blinds you to what's actually going on at Notre Dame. Far from hating ND "because it's Catholic", I dislike ND because it's not Catholic enough.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well here's one fucked up sports thread on the political board.

That, in and of itself, says something.
It's not a sports thread. It's a totally political/religious thread that I encouraged people to include sports and academics in the discussion to make it more entertaining.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never said Minnesota football compared with Notre Dame. They probably DID compare quite well right up until a world war was needed to end UMn's Dynasty when it was peaking. But even after WW2 decimated the program the Gophers still recovered well enough that they may have still compared favorably to Notre Dame through to 1962 or maybe even 1967?

But ND had a very good stretch from 1966 to 1970 that had to move them ahead of the Gophers even before they won in 73 and 77. And that ND surge came right as the UMn admin's decision in the late 50s to give up on football, finally started affecting their results on the field. The UMn Admin considered going the route of Chicago and dropping football, but when Murray Warmath surprised everyone getting the Gophers another Title in 1960, they decided to let the program continue, but it wasn't until the late 90s that the UMn Admin decided to give the football program any resources.

And far from being jealous of ND's football program, which is arguably better historically than any other program in the nation, I find that Notre Dame's decision to sell it's soul back in the 1960s coinciding with it's surge on the football field to be fitting. Satan loves it that people like you can't see what it is about ND that I so dislike because your love of cfb and Notre Dame's football legacy blinds you to what's actually going on at Notre Dame. Far from hating ND "because it's Catholic", I dislike ND because it's not Catholic enough.

What da fuck?

And

N.D.'s football legacy hasn't blinded me at all. As a fan of the history of the game CFB is incomplete without the Irish. That's not me being biased or as you said blinded. It's the truth.

So in your goofy world if I give any program the respect they deserve I'm blinded by that program's legacy? You know what? Just call yourself an idiot. I'm busy.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That shows you how little you know.

I'm not the jealous type. In the grand scheme of things, college football and college sports in general are one of my LOWEST priorities in life. Do I love cfb and college sports in general and consider them something that brings entertainment into my life? Sure I do, I also like good music and good movies and good booze and hot chicks... BUT, I would never sell my soul over college sports or music or movies or booze or even a hot chick.

And it's what goes on in the background at Notre Dame, what the people who run ND teach and who they bring in to teach and run things there. ND IS just a small so-called Catholic college that most people care so little about, outside of it's football, that if you asked most Americans where ND is located, most would not know.

I bring up Academics because you ND fans are SO BLINDED by your football glory, and US News' kissing your butts that you have all come to believe that ND is far more superior in academics than they actually are. And your looking at the world through the lenses of cfb allows you to have become totally ignorant of things like how much more of an academic ELITE institution the University of Minnesota is.

But go on, continue to point to ND's rating in US News as if US News somehow should be deemed an authority on the subject? lol

I'll continue to see the RELEVANT RAW DATA that speaks volumes against ND and for Minnesota is all the things that actually matter in the world.

One example? UMn's Nobel legacy makes them TRULY ELITE among Public Universities. They have been deemed a "Public Ivy", and for good reason.

UMn has produced more Nobel Prize winners than ALL 14 SEC schools have produced COMBINED, and you could probably add Notre Dame's Nobel tally to the entire SEC's tally and UMn would probably STILL come out ahead.

UMn ranks among the Top 15 of American Universities in production of and hiring of Nobel Prize winners, where as Notre Dame? Have they produced more than one? Just checked, nope, just the one.

So UMn ranks Top 25 IN THE WORLD, Top 15 among American Universities and Top 10 among Public Universities having been associated with 30 Nobel Prize winners, 10 of which are UMn alums, while Notre Dame doesn't crack the Top 275 even.

279 Universities in the world have been associated with at least 2 Nobel Prize winners.
Notre Dame is not among them.

They come in tied at 280th with JUST ONE.

10 > 1.
30 > 1.

Other Data points bear this out, that UMn is the far superior university than Notre Dame.

UMn produced 702 Doctors in 2018 compared to ND's producing a mere 281. UMn ranks 16th in the nation in this regard, ND ranks 76th.
UMners earned 25 Faculty Awards in 2018 compared to ND's producing a mere 9. UMn ranks 18th, while ND ranks 74th.
UMn has 45 Natl Academy Members while ND has just 3, UMn's ranked 28th, while ND ranks 122nd.
UMn ranks 13th in the nation at Post Doctorals with 1031 in 2018, compared to ND's 232 ranking them 145th.
UMn ranks 14th in the nation with 137 Natl Merit Scholars compared to ND's 69 ranking them 33rd.

Of the 9 measures in this study, UMn ranks among the Top 25 in all 9 when only compared to other public schools, and compared to the entire nation ranks Top 25 in 6, Top 50 in 2 others.

Of the 9 measures in this study, ND ranks among the Top 25 in just 4 when compared to other private schools, and compared to the entire nation ranks Top 25 in 3, and that's it.

6-2 is much better than 3-0. That means ND ranks OUT OF the Top 50 in 6 of the measures while UMn ranks IN the Top 25 in 6. lol

The only measures ND beats UMn at, is their Endowment Assets and their annual giving. So lots of DUMB Catholics have been duped into ponying up money to a University that doesn't produce much of anything for no other reason than loyalty to a Catholicism that ND doesn't even respect anymore, and/or because it's been so good at football?!

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What da fuck?

And

N.D.'s football legacy hasn't blinded me at all. As a fan of the history of the game CFB is incomplete without the Irish. That's not me being biased or as you said blinded. It's the truth.

So in your goofy world if I give any program the respect they deserve I'm blinded by that program's legacy? You know what? Just call yourself an idiot. I'm busy.
And cfb would be complete without Minnesota? lol

The FIRST EVER Pro Fb player played and coached at Minnesota.

The 4 man backfield was invented by Minnesota as a way of defending against Michigan's Point a Minute Men. We went undefeated that year and tied Michigan yet Michigan was awarded a Natl Championship that year and Minnesota's never claimed one that year or been awarded one that year, but you have to wonder why? Merely because Michigan is located further East and garnered a reputation going in and Minnesota hadn't really? Doesn't sound fair to me, but hey, whatever.

Minnesota invented cheerleading.

Minnesota's Coach Henry Williams was influential in getting the forward pass brought into cfb.

Minnesota invented the Minnesota Shift.

When Notre Dame was winning some of their earliest Natl Titles, those Trophy's were named after Minnesota's Coach Henry Williams. After Notre Dame won the title 3 times, they renamed it after Knute Rockne, and then Minnesota was on their way to their 3rd straight Title in 1942, they were picked as the early favorite to repeat, and had they won that year, the Trophy would have been renamed after Bernie Bierman, but instead the Japs bombed Pearl Harbor and the US Military took Bernie Bierman and most of it's players away from them. In fact it was Bernie Bierman, with a couple of former Gophers taken out of the NFL to do military duty on his roster that broke Bernie Bierman's own winning streak by a 1 point margin in their game in 1942.

It took a WORLD WAR to end UMn's Dynasty.

I don't think any other team had ever won 3 Straight Natl Titles when Bierman first did it from 1934-1936, the closest anyone maybe came was a former Gopher Gil Dobie who went 8-0 three straight seasons at Cornell, but only 1 or 2 of those seasons garnered Natl Champion status for some reason? Prior to going to Cornell, Dobie went undefeated for something like 8 straight seasons at Washington garnering the nation's longest EVER undefeated streak!!!

And yet Bierman was on the verge of doing a 3 peat a 2nd time in 1942.

And Tulane's ENTIRE cfb history that could be described as relevant was under the direction of 3 straight former Gophers who coached them, followed by a coach who played under Bierman at Tulane and then coached under Bierman at Minnesota before taking over for former Gopher Ted Cox, who followed Bierman who followed former Gopher Clark Shaughnessy, a Cfb HOF coach, and 3 time NFL HOF inductee, who shared a Natl Title with Bierman in 1940 at Stanford. His coaching methods helped Stanford go undefeated that year and they also helped Chicago win an NFL title and helped transform the game of football, so much so that he got nominated for the NFL HOF as a coach with only 3 years of coaching in the NFL.

And I haven't even mentioned Bernie Bierman's guys, Biggie Munn and Bud Wilkinson who helped dominate the 1950s cfb scene while UMn was trying to figure out how to replace Bierman.

I could continue with how Call Stoll and Joe Salem were also Bierman players who went on to coach the Gophers and other schools, one of them coaching up both Marc Trestman who won 4 Grey Cup Titles and Tony Dungy now in the NFL Hall of Fame for his coaching prowess and innovations to the game.

And if you think I've exhausted the list of coaches UMn has produced, some who had profound effects on the game and others who merely got a chance and either blew it or were given such a bad bunch of players to work with simply couldn't perform the miracles needed, you don't have a clue. UMn produced a double digit number of NFL coaches, 2 whom got into the NFL HOF, 3 who got nominated, and UMn produced 5 alums who got into the Cfb Hall of Fame as coaches, with many others getting stadiums named after them or getting inducted into individual schools Halls of Fame, etc.. Another got into the Helms HOF, Ossie Solem, maybe more for his pro coaching before the NFL came into existence?

And UMn's probably produced the most CFL Title winning coaches as well, with 2 alum winning 4 titles each, and 3 others getting their teams to the Title game with one of them also winning.

And the winningest coach in Div 2 cfb history at the time of his retirement, was ANOTHER UMn alum!!!!!!!!

So yes, I know and am very aware of ND's cfb legacy, of which only 1 or 2 schools can dare to try to claim they can best, Bama is the 1, Michigan fans might try? And I've NEVER claimed otherwise, and I'm NOT jealous, either. UMn has it's own legacy as being the #1 hockey college in both men's and women's hockey, both for ALL-TIME. So I don't need to be jealous of ND's being #1 in cfb, as my Gophers had a chance to compete with ND in that regard but after WW2, for some reason chose not to. They instead chose to focus on academics and research and the whole world has benefitted because of it. ND chose to put too much focus on winning at football and championing Social Justice and the whole world has suffered because of it.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, UMn's been associated with THIRTY Nobel Prize winners vs 1 for ND. lol

30 > 1

lol at ND for being so pathetic in this regard.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UMn's produced close to Top Ten #s of NBA players, including FOUR Naismith HOFers to ND's 2? And is one of those 2 ND claims the former Gopher bb player that UMn also claims, who coached ND to their only titles in cbb?

Can ND match UMn's THREE Natty's in Baseball or it's two HOFers? Both got in on their first ballot, with ease.

I KNOW ND can't come even close to matching UMn in hockey. UMn hockey is equilvant to ND fb, but the thing is, that ND hockey doesn't even compare to UMn Track and Field or Men's Golf, much less it's Football, lol.

And UMn's got Wrestling, in a big way, something ND couldn't even fathom