• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Notre Dame, why I HATE the Fighting Irish. Snowflakes should avoid this thread.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the bottom line is that you are clearly obsessed with Notre Dame. And honestly, for that, we thank you. People like you are what makes being a Notre Dame fan fun. Trust me, no one hates Minnesota, there is no reason to, they don’t mean anything to anyone (outside of Minnesota). So keep hating, we love it. But I have to say that I’ve never heard anyone’s complaint being that Notre Dame isn’t Catholic. Usually they hate us because Notre Dame is Catholic.
I'm not obsessed with Notre Dame, at least not outside of politics/religion. Academics? UMn can easily hold it's own against ND, and in sports, overall UMn fairs quite well vs Notre Dame, with the obvious exception being cfb. I'm fine with that. UMn's #1 in the country in BOTH men's and women's Hockey, and Top 5 in wrestling, probably Top 5 in W's VB the last 2 decades, they are arguably the #1 rated northern Baseball team, and arguably have done just as well, or pretty close to as well as ND in men's bb, so I'm ok with acknowledging that ND has been better than Minnesota in cfb, historically.

My "obsession" with ND, if I have such a thing, is because of how much I feel ND is responsible for how fucked up our country is today. The kind of obsession I have towards ND is NOT a good thing at all, because it will bring attention to what goes on behind closed doors there at ND, something the vast majority of cfb fans are unaware of.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
short answer, for most of those schools, yes. In states where there are no professional teams, fandom for college teams tend to get worse, and being an in-state fan of a college isn't nearly as bad as it is the "home team" but how many ND fans even know what state ND is located in??
Ron G is right. For the most part, ALOT of people living in states, did not go to their state's flagship schools but are fans of that school because that is their home state. Some states divide up their residents because a secondary school matches the flagship school such as Clemson and S Carolina, or Mich St and Michigan. MSU was the better cbb program for awhile there, and obviously Clemson has way outperformed S Carolina. But otherwise, I know lots of Gopher fans who didn't go to UMn, and Badger fans who didn't go to UW, and Hawkeye fans who didn't go to Iowa.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reading comprehension maybe? You should try it. What part of 3/4ths don't you understand?

You claimed UMn would be lucky to claim 1/4th the cfb history ND can claim. I responded by saying that you are WAY wrong, because UMn could claim at least 3/4ths of the history that ND can claim.

In several ways, ND can claim to be #1, in most ways it can claim to be Top 5. I can acknowledge that.

But you list off 5 coaches and tell me that they are all HOFers as if that is supposed to impress me or something?

So by your math, with UMn only being able to claim 1/4th what ND can claim, that would be 1 or 2 HOF coaches at the most, right?

Well, UMn's had Henry Williams, a HOFer, the Fighting Irish won at least THREE Natl Title trophies that bore Henry William's name!!!

Then we had Bernie Bierman, Fritz Crisler coached at Minnesota before Murray Williamson. Holtz also coached at Minnesota. That's 4-5 and I know that I'm leaving at least one off the list. And UMn produced Hall of Famers like Gil Dobie, owner of the LONGEST UNBEATEN STREAK in cfb history, and Bud Wilkinson, owner of the LONGEST WINNING STREAK in cfb history, and Biggie Munn, another HOFer, Ossie Solem was a Helms AF HOFer, and Clark Shaughnessy was another cfb HOFer who got nominated for the NFL HOF as well, 3 separate times.

Dude, I'm not taking anything away from ND fb, unlike you, who are not willing to give the Gophers their due.

Fucking with you is quality entertainment. You don't need to post every single accolade associated with all things Minnesota. I get it though. You're trying to prove they belong. Well not to ruin your day, but nobody gives a shit.

They had success decades and decades ago. Have won titles. Have had great players. But stop over-pimping everything Gophers.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fucking with you is quality entertainment. You don't need to post every single accolade associated with all things Minnesota. I get it though. You're trying to prove they belong. Well not to ruin your day, but nobody gives a shit.

They had success decades and decades ago. Have won titles. Have had great players. But stop over-pimping everything Gophers.
Well, you must realize that I enjoy talking about UMn/the Gophers, so when you are so much of an idiot to make some ridiculous statement such as that UMn would be lucky to be able to claim 1/4th of the history of ND fb, you must know that you are just lobbing up a very slow soft pitch perfectly arched right over the plate softball pitch for me, right? You are giving me exactly what I want, someone dissing my school so that I have an excuse to go all out to refute you. You do this and then whine and complain when I respond exactly how you tried to get me to respond? lol

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minnesota is a garbage program in a garbage state.

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not obsessed with Notre Dame, at least not outside of politics/religion. Academics? UMn can easily hold it's own against ND, and in sports, overall UMn fairs quite well vs Notre Dame, with the obvious exception being cfb. I'm fine with that. UMn's #1 in the country in BOTH men's and women's Hockey, and Top 5 in wrestling, probably Top 5 in W's VB the last 2 decades, they are arguably the #1 rated northern Baseball team, and arguably have done just as well, or pretty close to as well as ND in men's bb, so I'm ok with acknowledging that ND has been better than Minnesota in cfb, historically.

My "obsession" with ND, if I have such a thing, is because of how much I feel ND is responsible for how fucked up our country is today. The kind of obsession I have towards ND is NOT a good thing at all, because it will bring attention to what goes on behind closed doors there at ND, something the vast majority of cfb fans are unaware of.
You need to slow down on the Academics. US News puts ND at 19, Minnesota at 69. Even Georgia, Florida, Texas A & M and of course Vanderbilt of the SEC rank higher than Minnesota. These are SEC schools for heaven's sake. In the Big Ten it is Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Purdue, Penn State, Maryland that are ranked ahead of Minnesota in academics. Does not make Minnesota bad but there is no contest between ND and Minnesota in academics which of course is the most important comparison.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You need to slow down on the Academics. US News puts ND at 19, Minnesota at 69. Even Georgia, Florida, Texas A & M and of course Vanderbilt of the SEC rank higher than Minnesota. These are SEC schools for heaven's sake. In the Big Ten it is Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Purdue, Penn State, Maryland that are ranked ahead of Minnesota in academics. Does not make Minnesota bad but there is no contest between ND and Minnesota in academics which of course is the most important comparison.
US News? lol One of the most irrelevant rankings out there.

Nice try but I see through that lame bs.

Try any other rating system and UMn rates higher than Maryland and Purdue in all of them, higher than Ohio St and PSU in most of them.

Minnesota, depending on the rating system, will rate behind Michigan more often than not, but they might rate ahead of both Illinois and Wisconsin in over half? Maybe not? Only reason UW or Illinois might rate higher than UMn is because they are rated among the Top 10-15 schools in the country while Minnesota is only rated Top 16-25?

Anyone who thinks UMn is only the 8th best academic institution in the B1G is just ignorant of the facts. Someone lazy who looked up just one NOT highly regarded ranking as if it was authoritative in some way???

MTVike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Acceptance rate at N.D.: 18%

Acceptance rate at UMinny: 56%

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, according to Wikipedia, they list basically the same 9 ratings for each school. 5 national and 4 world ratings.

ARWU national, Forbes Natl, WSJ national, USNWR national, WM national. ARWU Global, QS global, THE global, USNWR global.

ND vs UMn in the global ratings?

301-400 vs 40,
222 vs 156,
170 vs 85,
238 vs 47.

UMn BLOWS ND out of the water and it's not even close!!!
Granted ND beats out UMn in 4 of the 5 national ratings. Still UMn comes ahead in 5 of the 9 ratings overall. If you all all 9 ratings up, like in golf where the lower score won, UMn had less than 700 total, where ND topped 1100.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Acceptance rate at N.D.: 18%

Acceptance rate at UMinny: 56%
Yeah, so? What a school PRODUCES matters more than who they accept. In fact, the fact that ND is so much more picky yet produces so much less, is more of a strike against ND.

How many Nobel Prize winners has ND produced? UMn's produced more than THE ENTIRE SEC combined, and definitely more than ND.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, so? What a school PRODUCES matters more than who they accept. In fact, the fact that ND is so much more picky yet produces so much less, is more of a strike against ND.

How many Nobel Prize winners has ND produced? UMn's produced more than THE ENTIRE SEC combined, and definitely more than ND.

No one cares.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i love this thread. You are priceless. Keep going, I now realize that Minnesota should be in the Ivy League for academics and the Big ten in football. Oh wait, they are in the Big Ten, and I’m sure they dominate that conference in football every year, just like they do in academics. Honestly it’s almost like you actually believe this stuff you are writing

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
US News? lol One of the most irrelevant rankings out there.

Nice try but I see through that lame bs.

Try any other rating system and UMn rates higher than Maryland and Purdue in all of them, higher than Ohio St and PSU in most of them.

Minnesota, depending on the rating system, will rate behind Michigan more often than not, but they might rate ahead of both Illinois and Wisconsin in over half? Maybe not? Only reason UW or Illinois might rate higher than UMn is because they are rated among the Top 10-15 schools in the country while Minnesota is only rated Top 16-25?

Anyone who thinks UMn is only the 8th best academic institution in the B1G is just ignorant of the facts. Someone lazy who looked up just one NOT highly regarded ranking as if it was authoritative in some way???
Interesting, the most widely read and the most often quoted ranking is according to you the most irrelevant. I notice you made no comment about ND.
Only reason UW or Illinois are rated higher is because they are rated in the top 10 to 15 instead of in the top 16 to 25. That would not be a good argument as why UM is better than those schools.

And Illinois and Michigan are not in the top 25. But for UMn to be the top 25 they would have be rated higher than Washington in St. Louis, Stanford, Northwestern, Johns Hopkins, Emory, UC Berkley, University of Chicago, Case Western, Carnegie Mellon, NYU, MIT, Rice, Vanderbilt, all the Ivies and of course Notre Dame. They would also have to jump University of Rochester, Brandeis, Cal Poly, this is such weak position I am surprised you even try. I did not even mention the Service Academies., Southern Cal, UCLA, Georgetown, University of Virginia and the University of Washington.

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate Notre Dame because they had a full replay of their games on TV with the great radio voice of Lindsey Nelson every Sunday.

This was back when teams were lucky to be on TV 2 or 3 times a year including a bowl game.

While I hated it so much, it was captivating and added to the aura of Notre Dame football back then.

Notre Dame is also a bunch of arrogant pricks. They are the New York of college football.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate Notre Dame because they had a full replay of their games on TV with the great radio voice of Lindsey Nelson every Sunday.

This was back when teams were lucky to be on TV 2 or 3 times a year including a bowl game.

While I hated it so much, it was captivating and added to the aura of Notre Dame football back then.

Notre Dame is also a bunch of arrogant pricks. They are the New York of college football.
Maybe slow your roll on the day you got your dick kicked in at home vs Illinois, chief.

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe slow your roll on the day you got your dick kicked in at home vs Illinois, chief.
Ooh Philly clown says slow my roll.

Why does my team sucking count for anything? I wasn't in a jersey getting my ass kicked. You suiting up for the Eagles this season champ?

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, you must realize that I enjoy talking about UMn/the Gophers, so when you are so much of an idiot to make some ridiculous statement such as that UMn would be lucky to be able to claim 1/4th of the history of ND fb, you must know that you are just lobbing up a very slow soft pitch perfectly arched right over the plate softball pitch for me, right? You are giving me exactly what I want, someone dissing my school so that I have an excuse to go all out to refute you. You do this and then whine and complain when I respond exactly how you tried to get me to respond? lol

It's funny you think Minnesota is elite. Keep on keepin' on super-homer.