• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

No way we lose this week.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And yet, besides a brief period during the mid 80's we have never had that. Yet, we did go to a SB with an awful QB in Rex.

Right, and McMahon was no elite QB either when they won the superbowl. This regime decided they want to be the ones to make the offense the important part. claimed the league was changing.

Great defense always beats good offense.

Anyone else see the thumping that Denver took from Brady yesterday, he was still on. Made that domination from New England more understandable.

Brady will be in the MVP talk again.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right, and McMahon was no elite QB either when they won the superbowl. This regime decided they want to be the ones to make the offense the important part. claimed the league was changing.

Anyone else see the thumping that Denver took from Brady yesterday, he was still on. Made that domination from New England more understandable.

Yeah… and suddenly the Miami loss doesn't seem as disturbing anymore either. They're on to something with Tannehill running that read option out there. Their defense is playing top notch right now as well.

I am by no means saying that we should be accepting of those losses as fans, but I don't think it's as bad as we thought. I don't think those two losses makes us a terrible football team, like many have suggested. However, I do have to think the team's confidence may be a little shot at this point. Not to mention, the alleged locker room strains. Which could lead to a total spiral, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Am I the only one that is actually interested to see how this team responds to all of this on Sunday night? I'm not posing this question to mean that I'm optimistic for a turnaround. I am just genuinely f'ing curious what this team will do next. :lol:

Biggix

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need a D like Miami stat!

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And there is no way we can lose this week?

rodgers.jpg

Aaron Rodgers says hello.....
I was talking on our bye week. But I already admitted I was wrong as MN has jumped in front of us.

Wounded Bear

Pilgrim on a Moutain Top
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was talking on our bye week. But I already admitted I was wrong as MN has jumped in front of us.

Well, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but you have probably already gathered that.

C

cubzzzfanincali

And who exactly would that be? I listed all of the equal to or better than Jay QB's since 2009 drafted. There were only 4 on that list, Stafford, Luck, Wilson, and one other that are arguably better than Jay since 2009. Not so easy bud.

The list of Cutler-grade QBs drafted since 2009 is quite a bit longer than 4 in my opinion, and by the time some of the young ones are done developing the list might be a lot longer.

But you are right about one thing, ultimately if Bears brass wants Cutler to stay, then he stays, regardless of what any of us think. And because of this contract, that's the crap we've got to deal with. I don't think he is untradeable, but it would be tough, and management is probably going to be stubborn about admitting they were wrong.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The list of Cutler-grade QBs drafted since 2009 is quite a bit longer than 4 in my opinion, and by the time some of the young ones are done developing the list might be a lot longer.

But you are right about one thing, ultimately if Bears brass wants Cutler to stay, then he stays, regardless of what any of us think. And because of this contract, that's the crap we've got to deal with. I don't think he is untradeable, but it would be tough, and management is probably going to be stubborn about admitting they were wrong.
I said Cutler was overpaid the day we signed him and you and Richig got all over me. How do you stand now on that?

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

WHAT?? You say- Good Defense always beats good Offense....then the very next sentence you write goes on to talk about a great Offense winning?

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said Cutler was overpaid the day we signed him and you and Richig got all over me. How do you stand now on that?

I think that's the market now for a QB, and I truly don't see where a 3 year contract for 54 mil at this point is ridiculous at all. Just wait and see what other QB's get over the next two off-seasons. Then, that's the time to re-visit.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

These two statements contradict each other. lol… Just saying.

C

cubzzzfanincali

I now think he was overpaid. I was prepared to give him a chance before drawing that judgment, because as Joey nauseating bleats over and over "that was the market price for QBs." Which it was. But paying the top franchise price would only have been worth it if he produced accordingly, and thus far, he simply has not. I hoped that with all the pieces in place, he would finally deliver. But he hasn't, if anything, I'd say he is worse. So I am now with you. Tying 20% of our salary cap space to this guy for several years has so far been a major mistake. If he miraculously stops making bad decisions too frequently, I would be delighted and so will we all. But he hasn't shown any evidence he is going to.

May I be wrong again.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oh, yes, I realize that, but at the moment it isn't that way. Bradford is the only QB from 2010 who could be decent but he can't stay on the field to find out. The other issue is, that unless you have the #1 pick, 1/2 of those 4 wouldn't do you any good as both Stafford and Luck were the #1 picks.

My point. It is just not that easy as the stinking Green Bay Packers make it out to be or the Colts. You don't just go out and get another hof QB at will. The Bears could go another decade before they find anyone as good as Jay is, in other words, there are a ton of shorter midgets out there by the bucketful. There are way more non hall of fame QB's than there are HoF QB's or even guys as good as Jay.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

cubzzzfanincali

I think that's the market now for a QB, and I truly don't see where a 3 year contract for 54 mil at this point is ridiculous at all. Just wait and see what other QB's get over the next two off-seasons. Then, that's the time to re-visit.

Richig, OK, here's the thing. Yes, other QBs will get even bigger money. But that doesn't make those contracts smart either. The big money is worth it if they produce accordingly. If they don't, it is a disaster because of the cap hits involved.

Eli, Sam Bradford, Stafford, Matt Ryan....those guys have huge cap hits that are saddling their franchises. Yeah, they are good QBs, and without them they would probably (not certainly, but probably) be replaced by slightly less effective QBs, but at prices much cheaper.

You can certainly make an argument that if your QB makes you a viable SB contender, then sure, pay the price, I get it. You gotta do what you gotta do. But if you are anchored to a QB who because of the money restricts your whole franchise's ability to competitively sign 53 guys across the roster and you AREN'T a viable contender, then what good is that?

That's kind of where I see us now. If he would stop making so many mistakes, I will change my mind about it. But what reason have I got for thinking that he will?

C

cubzzzfanincali

Oh, yes, I realize that, but at the moment it isn't that way. Bradford is the only QB from 2010 who could be decent but he can't stay on the field to find out. The other issue is, that unless you have the #1 pick, 1/2 of those 4 wouldn't do you any good as both Stafford and Luck were the #1 picks.

My point. It is just not that easy as the stinking Green Bay Packers make it out to be or the Colts. You don't just go out and get another hof QB at will. The Bears could go another decade before they find anyone as good as Jay is, in other words, there are a ton of shorter midgets out there by the bucketful. There are way more non hall of fame QB's than there are HoF QB's or even guys as good as Jay.

well, I know we've been around on this before, but all of these guys have either exceeded or more or less matched Cutler's production since 2009:

Stafford, Kapernick, Wilson, Newton, Luck, Dalton, Tannehill, Luck, RG3 (I will grant he is debatable, but it is certainly in the debatable realm), Foles (though only briefly...now Foles looks decidedly Cutlerish)

22 QBs produced more than Cutler in 2013. 23 in 2012. I get it that he was hurt for periods, but you know, that's part of his package.

His win-loss record is 42-33 as a Bear. That's really not that irreplaceable.

And several of the young QBs taken in the last two years may well soon be addable to the list. Too early to say yet, of course.

So, no, I don't agree that only 4 guys have been drafted since 2009 that could have - in theory - replaced his production.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kapernick is terrible, Newton too... Dalton? no thanks. Tannehill is putting together a decent year, but his first. RG III nope, he's bad too as a passer.

Look at that win loss record, remember how awful his O line was those first two years... No one could have stood up to that abuse and stuck up wins with the possible exception of Aaron Rodgers. I'll stick to what I said.

Edit: and again I don't believe Jay is elite, but he isn't bad either. He's in the top 1/3rd of the league right now. That sounds about right. I wonder where he would be with a decent D.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Kapernick is terrible, Newton too... Dalton? no thanks. Tannehill is putting together a decent year, but his first. RG III nope, he's bad too as a passer.

Look at that win loss record, remember how awful his O line was those first two years... No one could have stood up to that abuse and stuck up wins with the possible exception of Aaron Rodgers. I'll stick to what I said.

Edit: and again I don't believe Jay is elite, but he isn't bad either. He's in the top 1/3rd of the league right now. That sounds about right. I wonder where he would be with a decent D.

I would agree that he is somewhere around 12th. Or so. Give or take. Talent-wise he is Top 5, but in execution, far lower.

Tannehill has very similar numbers to Cutler this year, but with garbage skill position and O line guys. Kapernick's passing rating is almost identical, plus he runs. And it was quite a bit higher than Cutler's both last year and in 2012, so if he is "terrible", what is Cutler? Newton and Dalton have been a bit lower than him this year, but they were higher in 2013 and 2012. So he production was more or less replaceable by them, like them or not. To me RG3 is the most interesting comparison. He was a far better passer in 2012, his only full year, but hasn't been healthy since then, so like Bradford it is a bit of a philosophical debate you could have, but no one can prove themselves right about what might have been.

I think all of these QBs - Cutler included - are in the flawed but good group. For my money, if I could pick one, I'd take Tannehill since he is still on the upswing. They are all capable of great games and lousy games, which is why their team's fanbases have gone through such moodswings over the last 3 years. Not a coincidence.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would agree that he is somewhere around 12th. Or so. Give or take. Talent-wise he is Top 5, but in execution, far lower.

Tannehill has very similar numbers to Cutler this year, but with garbage skill position and O line guys. Kapernick's passing rating is almost identical, plus he runs. And it was quite a bit higher than Cutler's both last year and in 2012, so if he is "terrible", what is Cutler? Newton and Dalton have been a bit lower than him this year, but they were higher in 2013 and 2012. So he production was more or less replaceable by them, like them or not. To me RG3 is the most interesting comparison. He was a far better passer in 2012, his only full year, but hasn't been healthy since then, so like Bradford it is a bit of a philosophical debate you could have, but no one can prove themselves right about what might have been.

I think all of these QBs - Cutler included - are in the flawed but good group. For my money, if I could pick one, I'd take Tannehill since he is still on the upswing. They are all capable of great games and lousy games, which is why their team's fanbases have gone through such moodswings over the last 3 years. Not a coincidence.

Heh, you caught me, substitute "Terrible" for "not elite" in the Kapernick box...

LoftonPack80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But take some good out of this Noon and remember in your Homer brain.....the Bears are still the most talented team in the North and Super Bowl contenders